It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics, morality, and... Michael Jackson?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
(Before I begin, some of you have noticed that I am rather scarce of late. All of my free and semi-free time is presently being taken up with work on my latest project(s). I am writing this during one of the rare times when I am forced to take a break from calculations and construction, thanks to that terminal disease called 'Old Age'
. So if I suddenly disappear again while this thread is ongoing, please understand.
)

Sometimes the most pungent messages come from the most unlikely sources. One of those pungent messages hit me a couple of days ago when I heard about the untimely passing of Michael Jackson. Some of you may be surprised to discover that I considered the man, while troubled and obviously not someone with whom I have much in common, a great performer, a fantastic songwriter, and a legendary talent all around. My music video folder has a copy of "Thriller" in it that I frequently watch.

As I watched a few minutes of the news coverage, a clip from one of his performances stuck in my head. The song was one I had never paid much attention to: "Man In The Mirror". I recant the lyrics to the chorus here:

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change

In a world where hatred is flourishing between peoples and communities based on no more than political ideology, in a world where some would gladly take up arms to fight a cause for no more reason than they have heard it so much they believe it, in a world where government is no longer used as a protection of liberty but rather as a tool to force others to conform to selfish perceptions of individual morality, these words ring true. Change yourself.

Each of us is given a life. That gift can be seen as from Jehovah, Allah, Gaia, Nature, or some universal accident; the source is irrelevant. We are here, and each of us is trying to survive and thrive in the best way we know how. To demand conformance and action based on one's individual ideals from others, whether it be through peer pressure, legal interpretation, legislation, financial pressure, or any other means is wrong and ultimately self-defeating in scope. You, and you alone, are responsible for living your life the best way you can. It is a contest, and just as in any contest, some will fare better than others. A good sport will be one who, if he loses, will still smile and congratulate the winners. A good sport is the one who, when he wins, does not gloat or demand that others are inferior to him because of his victory. A bad sport will do the opposite, and that is what I see in today's society in general, and today, still on ATS.

This philosophy can be applied equally well to soooooo many issues that are discussed here: Prop 8, smoking rights, health care, taxation, and the list just goes on. Ironically, many of those individuals who admired Mr. Jackson will be those same individuals who will then ignore the man (or woman) in their mirror and instead try to force others to change their behaviors to aid their personal causes. Such a pity that these individuals of whom I speak cannot honor the man in such a way as he wold wish to be hoored, but instead would try to claim to do so by their own selfish means.

So, for the sake of the legend who is being laid to rest as we type, I implore you to simply stop for a moment the next time you catch yourself fighting for a cause. Stop, take two steps back, and look in that mirror. I bet the person you see in there will have plenty they can do by themselves to help your cause. And I bet they will be the easiest person you ever find to convince to help your cause. I also bet they will be the most efficient contributor to your cause once you convince them to help.

And just maybe, you will discover that they will be the only person you have to convince to do so.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I believe that everyone who voted for Obama should be taking a long look in that mirror right about now. (self included)

Jackson is being placed on too high a pedestal now, in some ways like the president has been... Jackson was not a very intelligent person, he was an extremely gifted and talented entertainer. He was not a philosopher and there is actually very little redeeming value in his popular song lyrics, but the vocals, dancing and music were indeed extraordinary.

I will give you props for the irony in having "morality" and "Michael Jackson" in the same subject line.

I wonder what they will say if Rush Limbaugh dies from an untimely death next?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
I wonder what they will say if Rush Limbaugh dies from an untimely death next?

Ummmmm.... I can take a guess....

"Happy, happy, joy, joy"?

Seriously, I can't argue with you about Michael not being a rocket scientist. I have always felt a pang of sympathy for him, actually, since it appears to me his problem was being pressed into adulthood far too fast at a far too young age. In essence I always saw him as a child inside an adult body, screaming for attention and just for a chance to have a childhood somehow.

But your point about our esteemed leader was the point I was trying to get across. Too much emphasis is being placed on trying to get people to comply with whatever the cause du jour is at the moment. Even without being active recently, I can rest assured that there are plenty of "poor Michael" threads already; this is not intended to be one of those, but rather an attempt to show that even the most liberal, the most eccentric among us can still see common sense.

Thanks for the support for the thread!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Thanks for the support for the thread!

TheRedneck

Your welcome, and for the record, I'm a fan of your stuff here, I will always have a read of anything you post, you have produced some excellent material here in several threads.

Now, don't get a big ego.... Just keep on doing what you do!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hey mann,

Good thread, that song was on the radio recently, and i was thinking about the lyrics, and well i was thinking that when he looked in the mirror he wanted a skin change, so he changed it. But the same rules apply

I'm in a good mood (well i always am) so here's a S&F

Love&Light

Jacob

new topics

top topics

join