It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqis rejoice as U.S. troops leave Baghdad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Iraqis rejoice as U.S. troops leave Baghdad

www.reuters.com

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. troops pulled out of Baghdad on Monday, triggering jubilation among Iraqis hopeful that foreign military occupation is ending six years after the invasion to depose Saddam Hussein.

Iraqi soldiers paraded through the streets in their American-made vehicles draped with Iraqi flags and flowers, chanting, dancing and calling the pullout a "victory."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, I can't say that this shocks me. There are many on here that claim that the Iraqi's are mostly grateful for our invasion because it got rid of Saddam. My problem is that we still haven't truly justified our invasion which pretty much makes it illegal. I know, go ahead and flame me and say that there were WMDs and so on found.

My big problem with THAT argument is that he NEVER threatoned the U.S. directly with any weapons and he NEVER attacked us with any weapons. What right did we have to go in there and take his country? Seriously.

So on the day we finally pull out these people are rejoicing and claiming that the pullout is the victory, not the deposing of Saddam.

It's a good day with sad undertones.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
You invaded Iraq because Saddam ditched the petro dollar and he was not dancing to your music anymore hence your geo-political influence in the area was not set in stone....anything else is just words to fill the non existent blanks.America could deal with him ditching the petro dollar,not him becoming unstable.Hence you installed your puppets and rationed off the nations oil supply,best of both world and down the years to come you have a nice launching pad.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

We are just now ACTUALY leaving and still we chase our tails debating why we where there to begin with!

I saw the madness when 99.99% of the people where right behind Lil Bush in invading Iraq. Don't lie. There was NO ONE I talked to that actually had a thought of their own on the matter.

For WHATEVER reason people got charged up about it, the reality hit once the "newness" wore off and the people did not like what they had championed just years earlier. Then the people whine and belly ache and elect Obama because deep down inside, they knew that they had screwed up.

Blah blah blah, the talking heads will keep talking while Iraq plunges itself into some sort of a civil war. Just watch!
Meanwhile I personally believe that the Iraq Invasion will be known as the war that broke America's back. The consequences of that war is what led to Obama's election, the final plundering of the coffers and the plunge that will follow.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by bismarcksea]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
So if the US troops aren't going to be used as a peacekeeping force/insurgent hunting; what is their purpose? Protect the oil fields for Haliburton? Let Haliburton hire Blacwater merc's.

Bring our brave boys and girls home!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I agree that is part of it. Also it was an 'unfinished' business kind of thing with Bush baby and his papa. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to reply. I also believe that the project for Rebuilding America's Defenses posted by the CFR has a bit to do with it.

They stated, in this order, that in order for us to establish our security long term we needed to get a presence in Afghanistan, then Iraq, then Iran so that we would be positioned to fight against the 'far east' as stated in the document. Luckily I saved that document from their site. It seems to have been removed now. I can always email it to anyone who wants to see it for themselves.

Also, they stated clearly that this would take 100 years unless there was an event such as a "New Pearl Harbor". This document was released in September of 2000.

Anyway, I agree that his decision to make that monetary move helped to push that administration to invade. It still doesn't make it right in any way, shape or form.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

The reason they got charged up about it was the MASSIVE amount of MSM fear mongering that went on leading up to it. I mean, it was non-stop. The statements like "in the form of a mushroom cloud" and so on are pretty damn scary things to think about. People wanted to get revenge also on the perpetrators of 911 at that time. The administration made HINTS that Iraq was involved in some form or another. Then that they were terrorists with WMDs.

So, we all fell for the typical MSM utilitized brainwashing.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
So if the US troops aren't going to be used as a peacekeeping force/insurgent hunting; what is their purpose? Protect the oil fields for Haliburton? Let Haliburton hire Blacwater merc's.

Plain and simply put. I agree wholeheartedly. These brave men and women have been ordered to spend huge chunks of their lives away from their families for what has never clearly been explained as a legitimate operation. Just bring them home.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Amen... If they go midevil on eachother it is their business, anyhow I am sure JEB will make us revisit the country one day, as we never learn.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If things go well the next few months with coalition soldiers out of major Iraqi cities then I think everybody can start calling this a victory. We don't want to be in Iraq forever! The last few years have been all about building up Iraq to the point where they could handle things on their own. Who knows, maybe it's getting to the point where we need to dust off that ol "Mission Accomplished" sign. Only time can tell.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I hope the end is truly in sight! At the same time I hope they aren't just bringing em home to babysit us lol.
This article put a smile on my face, though.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My son came back from Iraq about 3 months ago and has already been stationed elsewhere. For me the Iraq issue was over when he left Iraq.

Good riddance to Iraq.

Now we can focus on leaving Afghanistan and on our corrupt bureaucrats.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Perhaps the Gov doesnt want to bring home the troops for similar reasons Rome didnt.

The troops would probably support the people in the US and the gov would be boned! Instead they keep them abroad and hire the mercs to stay home to keep the people at bay.

Bring the troops home America, you'll be happy you did.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by disfugured]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

I need to correct you on that fact that he "Never" attacked us. Our planes were fired on multiple times, He wasn't letting in the UN inspectors unless he was pushed and then only limited access, and there are many experts who point to the convoys of trucks headding north months before the invasion as a probable removal of the WMDs. I didn't like Bush either but Im afraid he was probably right on with this war.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think that we'll see a period of relative calm until we reduce our troop presence in Iraq.

When our troops have basically pulled out, I think that we'll see a #e-Sunni war. This could drag in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

I'm thinking that will happen in about 5-8 years.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow........I hope it is over.

I am not in the right spot now to be able to see the Iraqi forces first hand how well they are conducting themselves now. Here is my left and right hand.

On one hand, The multi national forces pulling out of major citys might be the final string that the Iraqi public needs to truley unit against sectarian violence and Al quada's presence. Basiclly the same principle when you have someone depending on you for something, you take it away and force them to adopt self reliance. Will they be able to hold it together? Time will tell.

On the other hand. Groups like the Mahdi Militia might just be taking a breather to reorganize untill we leave so they can have there way with the Sunni parlament
Iran will become a big influance on the country once we leave as well. I have first hand experiance that Iran and or Iran's IRG have been backing this shiite group financially and providing weopons.

See these articles. en.wikipedia.org...

www.nytimes.com...

This was one of my battles with the mahdi.
It was only half a company of tanks and half a company of Bradleys that got sent to Diwaniya and to take on several hundred militants. That part about the "tank was heavlily damaged" was burnt to the ground. that was my tank D23.

I had posted this in one other thread. My signiture and the following quote is from a letter I wrote to the Battalion CSM for a promotion board during that 2006 deployment.

"......we owe it to all of our fallen heros to be able to look back and say that they gave their lives for the freedom of Iraq, for the freedom of the human race. That is what this war represence. The given right for every human being to be able to live in peace with out oppresion and with out fear of expressing that freedom and those people will know that the free will always be willing to fight and die for that cause no matter where or who you are."

I fought two yrs in this country and am here for a third as a civilian. (almost) Nothing would make me happier then to be able to look at this country in 30yrs and see it doing well as a free nation and know that all the great men and women who have paid the ultimate price for it did not do so in vain.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Tank2/8]

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Tank2/8]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tank2/8

Tank2/8, well put and thank you for serving. It truly is people such as your self that allow the world to go round and freedom to remain freedom. Hooah!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Its abuot time!! This will go down in history a a cover up attack in most peoples eyes..kinda like nazi germany. The question is..WHERE are the troops going? back home? Paksitan? Afghanistan?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
My son came back from Iraq about 3 months ago and has already been stationed elsewhere. For me the Iraq issues was over when he left.

Good riddance.

Now we can focus on leaving Afghanistan and on our corrupt bureaucrats.

Amen. And yes, this is a second line. Okay, a third one is that I am glad that you son came home safely. I agree, from a family perspective it is over when your child or family member is out of there.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

Okay, he fired on our planes over HIS airspace. I can see why he did so since he never viewed our invasion as a rescue mission of Kuwait. However, yes, he did attack us. Yes, he prevented the inspectors from going in.

And you are wrong about my views of Bush. When we did all of this I was a HUGE Bush supporter. I believed the lies. Until I really looked into them. Then I started to question other actions. That is when I started to dislike him and his administration.

But I cannot say that he did not officially attack us because, as you have said, he shot at our planes.

Far cry from putting upwards to a million innocent civilians in the ground forever though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join