It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British woman with prosthetic arm sues Abercrombie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I never guy anything from Abercrombie and Fitch because I think they sell overpriced garbage, but this is pretty messed up. Riam Dean, 22, was made to work in the stockroom because what she wears on her arm on around the elbow joint violates the look policy. She was also taunted by the same manager by challenging her to go out to the sales floor with her arm uncovered. I don't know if it's acceptable in Britain to do this, as it's not acceptable to do what this manager did in the States, but my guess is not. Hopefully for the manager, karma decides to spar her because I highly doubt she would like having a disability and wouldn't appreciate the same treatment given out. Which is how it usually is. Hope the girl wins and is successful in her career.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Read about this story a couple of days ago,they had already been brought up on the same sort of charges and they lost.Lets be realistic here though,it isn't a surprise...these people sell a certain image to consumers,and a prosthetic arm has no place in it.When people go to buy their clothes the assistants have to look a certain way as to correlate that abercrombie and the beautiful assistants go hand in hand,its all basic human psychology.Anyway the girl in question is smoking hot imo,but thats business for you.Hopefully she wins and makes a pretty penny for herself.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I buy from A&F. I like some of their clothing. *gasp* I know.

I can tell you A&F has a loooong history of these sorts of things. They have had numerous lawsuits against them ( en.wikipedia.org...&_Fitch#cite_note-21 )

A&F has very strict rules on who they hire based on what they look like. They have such strict rules on how an employee has to look (they are called "models" not customer service - all the way down to the type of makeup women can wear and how hair is worn.

They also have been the subject of extreme criticism for their catalogs which are nothing more than pictures of models wearing nothing or next to nothing and many in sexual poses.

It is a private company, so really they are allowed to do whatever they want within the law. Their employment rules may suck - but I guess it is better than having the government tell business how they can run. Oh wait - that is becoming more and more. *shrug*

[edit on 6/29/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't think anyone in her position could apply for a job at Abercrombie without knowing exactly what to expect as far as being told 'how to look.'

Ever see the episode of king of the hill* where dale tries to get a job at a hooters-type restaurant knowing he'd be discriminated against for not being a well-endowed woman, with the intent to sue?

I'm totally sympathetic and think it's horrible that people treat people that way, but abercrombie is about the first place you'd expect it from.

*I know that's only a tiny fraction of anyone reading this

[edit on 29-6-2009 by alaskan]

top topics

join