It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs Travel to Transplant Mecca Shows System Flaws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Jobs Travel to Transplant Mecca Shows System Flaws

www.bloomberg.com

June 29 (Bloomberg) -- Steve Jobs, Apple Inc.’s chief executive officer, got a liver transplant quickly because of a U.S. system that favors patients with the means to rush to geographic areas where there is less competition for organs.

Memphis, where Jobs got the transplant, is one of several U.S. meccas for liver patients who can afford to travel, doctors said. Flight records show Jobs’s personal jet flew at least six times this year from California, with one of the longest transplant
(visit the link for the full news article)

link   
There you have it. If your rich you will get your organs if your poor you die on the list its just that simple. :shk: I work in a organ transplant center and I cannot tell you how appalled I am at this. From larry hagman to David Crosby who was seen breaking his new liver in at a bar weeks after his transplant its simply disgusting.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

link   
I want to puke:

From the same story:

On the same date, there were 594 patients on the list at Stanford University Medical Center, 14 miles from Apple headquarters, compared with 98 at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, where Jobs had his surgery.

What about the 98 that were denied because he shuttled back and forth :shk: He does not even freaking live there.

[edit on 6/29/09 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. I concur entirely. Poor people die, rich people fly. I cannot wait to see everyone defend the efficient and affordable capitalist medical system.

David Crosby should know better.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Anyone who thinks that organ selling, that is supposed to be illegal, isn't alive and well in private hospitals. Those with well healed donors and supporters will use it to make a name for the institution regardless of the law! They cultivate a donor pool by purchasing organs in nefarious ways! One wonders if some of these organs are harvested by murder or 'Accidents'!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
How does organ donation work in the US? In the UK it has to be with the consent of the donors next of kin. There was a huge debate when it was suggested we adopt a system similar to Spain where Hospitals 'assume' consent unless the donor or their family have previously registered an objection to donation on a central register. The idea was ditched.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Fang

Conset has to be given. Most states drivers licens allows someone to predesignate thier request but the family is usualy consulted. Every potiental death must be phoned in by law to the transplant network who gauges thier suitability for donation. Then a specalist will come and speak about donation.

top topics

join