It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK troops to get new body armour & Helmet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
BBC News

The British armed forces are to get new body armour and helmets this autumn.

More than 10,000 enhanced Mark 7 helmets and the new Osprey Assault body armour have been ordered.

The MoD says the new body armour has "all the stopping power of the kit it is replacing, but is lighter, closer fitting and easier to move in".

Good news for the troops on the ground. I have to say that the helmet does look like corss between the old helmet and an avaition helmet especially over the ears. I wonder if the materials of the helmet have changed.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

^^ weapons forum as well

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Is this new Body Armor anything like Dragon Skin?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by manmaidslave

No. Nothing like Dragon Skin. It is the same sort of stuff that is on current issue, i.e. a ballistic nylon vest with a hard ceramuic insert. The difference is that it is approx 1/2 - 2/3 the weight of the current system but with equal levels of protection. The new cover holds the plates closer to the body and with less bounce, reducing fatigue. The cover is quicker to remove and easier to access by medics. From what I've seen of it though it does seem to be pretty slow to put on. This might be a problem during an IDF attack/stand to in the middle of the night. I'll know more once I get my hands on a set.

The Mk7 helmet is again lighter than the current Mk6A but with equal levels of protection. It is designed with a completely different profile to the Mk6 ond 6A in order to improve comfort and allow for all manner of current issue optics/headsets etc to be worn in (relative) comfort.

I won't go into specifics about protection levels on an open forum, as this information is classed as restricted and I will no doubt be wearing it at some time in the near future!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

^^ Osprey taking a 7.62 rifle round hit - and the trooper `walks` away.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Aye. That's the current issue stuff. The new "Assault Osprey" has equal levels of protection but with less weight, an important factor when you're working in the temperatures we are.

top topics

join