It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatin' on the Oil Rigs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask you guys something. I mean, this has been on the back of my mind for a while now. I really don't know how it just popped into my mind again, but I'm just wondering if anyone else found this really amazingly random.

Ok, here goes. You've got nothing better to do and feel in the mood for some entertainment. You, being the highly creative thing that you are, may usually think about watching the DVD or something because you're that bored and want something to do. You browse your collection looking for that movie you want to watch. You're spoiled for choice and are currently locked in a battle wondering if you want to watch something inspiring or racey (probably). After making your wise decision you pop the DVD into the DVD player (because it plays DVDs).

As soon as you begin viewing, the screen invites you to a message from the FBI. The warning usually reads a little like this.

Warning

The copyright license proprietor has licensed this film (including its soundtrack) comprised in this video device for home use only. All other rights are reserved. The definition of home use excludes the use of this video device at locations such as Clubs, Coaches, Hospitals, Hotels, Oil Rigs, Prisons and Schools. Any unauthorised copying, editing, exhibition, renting, exchanging, hiring, lending, public performance diffusion and/or broadcast of this video device or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and any such action establishes liability for a civil action and may give rise to criminal prosecution.

If you guys read everything of that. What to you was the weirdest part that caught your eye? I'll tell you what the weirdest part of that big wall of legal stuff was for me. The mention of oil rigs.

Now, why would the FBI include oilrigs in their warning? I mean, seriously, c'mon. Why be hatin' on the 'rigs? I never really understood this. It always did make me laugh a lot, though. Was this really absurd to you guys? Did you let out a giggle as you spotted "Oil Rigs"?

It somehow makes me laugh. Maybe I'm just extremely weird. To be expected though, we're on a conspiracy site after all!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Whine Flu]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I've never noticed the oil rigs mentioned in the FBI warning. A quick glance at them here and I still don't see it.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Perhaps not FBI, maybe I was misleading or something.

It seems someone else online thought this was a weird idea too and seems to have beat me to it:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

Obviously, you can't be watching it on an oil rig. Think of the mayhem that would follow such an atrocity.

I like how they claim that you are breaking the law if you exchange it or lend it out as well. Crap like that will drive a man to piracy I tell ya.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

That is kind of strange as most of those groups do not pay for entry to see the DVD. I would think hotels have to pay for the use as they have paying customers, but oil rig workers are there to do their job. Prisoners also do not pay to see the movies (although students and parishioners may).

I think the idea is to make sure people understand that if they charge for admission, they could be liable for civil and possible criminal penalties.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Where are you drilling at? There are several trailers at the rig site where movies can be watched, computer games played and beds to sleep in. True, no one is watching movies on the rig floor or when they are rigging up or tearing down, or laying down pipe and the worms probably won't get to watch movies but tool pushers, company men, owners and drillers all get some time while drilling to take a break around the rig site.

new topics

top topics

join