It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bystander Effect, Woman Assaulted in Public.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I don't own a gun
, Plus i'm at a subway, not much need for a gun there, well maybe now there is!

There is a huge difference between using a gun for righteousness, and using it off of your emotions.

It's easy to shoot someone when your mad, hard to shoot them when your doing the right thing, because the right thing hardly ever requires you to possibly take a life.

my philosophy and two cents on that

Remember, I work alone, all by myself, I have no coworkers. I run the store.... noone but me.

If I was in a fight, and injured store would lose mounds of money, I weighed the pro's and cons, it was simply extremely bad timing for me, but I did everything I possibly could.

That's more then the avg, hundred people there that watched and said nothing.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
All of you who said that you would intervene in some way..., I commend you all. This is what needs to happen more often in our world. People need to stop turning the other cheek. We need to get more involved in what is going on around us. Please, all of you remember this quote the next time you see some form of evil being perpetrated on some innocent person-"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

That's more then the avg, hundred people there that watched and said nothing.

Next time do more.

Give those hundred people something to think about - let them see a man do the right thing, it is a rare sight these days.

Consider this: If people don't feel safe at your store - how will that affect business?

The child might be dead, or lord knows what. Then what is your store and job worth if your position there restrained you from saving a life?

*And you are right, you did more than most people would do - but that is not enough. Next time a thing like it happens, act in such a manner that we are not left wondering what the fate of the mother and child may be.

What would your ancestors have done if they had seen a mother and child being attacked and stolen - What would they do to that rogue - even just two generations ago?

...In his prime, How would Granddad handle this situation?

That's the way.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Although I believe you acted correctly, if differently than I would have, the replys to your post and your own statement concerning snitchs and women got me hooked. Let me tell you why.

I was raised, probably like you, to protect women, never to hit them regardless of provacation. Over the years I have learned that training is wrong. It can get you killed. While it was probably true in the past, today many woman are far more dangerous than many men and more vicious as well. Not the majority but enough to put you in danger if you do not properly assess the situation.

As to snitches. There is a differance in what you did than in what a snitch does from my viewpoint. Far too many people do not properly assess what is going on before calling the police to sort it out. They assume or make judgements based on perception rather than on what they actually know. The result of police involvement quite often results in bankruptcy, destruction of the family, divorce and abandonment of children over what is in effect BS. In addition if you look around you will find that children are being taught to snitch on their parents over ANYTHING to the PTB. Do not be fooled into believing that being falsly accused is easily solved these days. Even if you are mistakenly accused, meaning the police were to go after someone else and went to you by mistake, the financial, emotional, and physical damage is tremendous. You see this in the news all the time. There have been cases where parents have lost their children for jerking them out of the way of a speeding car for child abuse. It would have cost them less to let their child die from the car in a lot of ways.

I believe because of the usual horrific ramifications to all partys once the police are involved has led to the lack of involvement by bystanders today. Being sued for saving someone's life tends to make people a little hesitent not to mention the physical danger they may face over something that they may have misunderstood. Does this help you understand why some people are this way? Do not blame them. They also have their own familys to protect.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
In my opinion, you are tooting your own horn and sound somewhat delusional or self-deceptive.

Bystander effect?

You stood by to watched her get punched, watched them literally break into and hotwire a car, and watched a baby perchance get seriously injured without doing anything until after the fact.

You're trying to come of as a hero for calling the cops after you were completely safe?

You also seem to just be assuming that nobody else notified the police before or after you did.

I don't get it.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Why didn't the woman just walk away? The fact that she has a baby is even more reason to do so. Why is anyone supposed to help someone who won't help themself? If she had a baby with him, she selected in favor of his genes and obviously hopes to one day raise a second generation belligerent thug.

I doubt he was wearing business suits and talking about his successful company during the courting process. She was obviously attracted to that aggressiveness and it isn't up to you or anyone else to make sound decisions for someone else. If they don't have the sense to keep out of a bad situation, hopefully they learn from the first "learning experience". If they don't leave after the first time, they are a lost cause that you should not lose sleep over.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

aww you're not JUST an e-hero I see. I hope that truly doesn't prevent you from doing the right thing in the future, but I suspect as much as that old guys ungratefullness ticked you off, you will still do what is right when the time comes.

Incidently I always stand up for people being treated badly, even if I am at a disadvantage. Usually it only takes one person acting to get others to do the same.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I agree. what you did was good, and a brave action for a woman. But tell me would you have just called the police and got the plate if that had been your mother or sister that was being assulted?

You didn't stand up to the attacker you just sent police after him after they were gone. That is really not THAT brave. You didn't put yourself at any risk.
Not trying to say that you should not have called the police, but that woman and child were in danger.. I would have done more.. even if it meant losing my job.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Here two links which discusses bystander effect. For some reason the more people that are around, the less likely someone is to step in, seeming to think "someone else will do so".

psychology.about.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

According to a basic principle of social influence, bystanders monitor the reactions of other people in an emergency situation to see if others think that it is necessary to intervene. Since everyone is doing exactly the same thing (nothing), they all conclude from the inaction of others that help is not needed.

Text

Meaning instead of thinking for themselves people rely on others to decide what to do.

Kudos to you OP for showing you have your own brain.

And I am not surprised that the police did not care that the woman had been attacked.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
In a self defense class that I took, the instructors (one was a cop and the other his wife) gave a scenario and asked what we would do. I told them I would intervene. They all, but kicked me out, saying that, it would be a police matter and I should just idly standby and gather information that the police could use "after" the attack. I mean REALLY.

They stated that by interfering, I could become a victim as well. This is what our world is coming to. Sad, but true.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Ok for one, You guys don't know me at all, I have no reason to, "toot my own horn''. What does it matter of opinions of people i've never met, and never will meet!

It obviously means something to you. You've just put me on your foe list!

Some are saying I should of done nothing at all? What, or that I should of just fought the guy, well i'm currently on probation, one[snip]up and it's the slammer for a few years. So i'm not really wanting that.

"I would have done something, but...."

The pitiful part is that you aren't considering that other people "would have done something, but..." as well.

tracethetruth- i've spoken repeatedly with the cops on the situation, apparently they haven't had any other calls about it.

That's great. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't have called the cops.

I'm just saying it's not as remarkable or heroic as you are putting it out to be.

You're obviously so proud that you can pick up the phone *AT WORK WHERE YOU ARE GETTING PAID FOR IT* and call some cops after a semi-violent/illegal situation has passed that you've made a thread about how awesome you are for doing while simultaneously putting down the rest of society.

I tried to think of the best thing for me to do.

... and it appears you did. It's simple. It doesn't make you a hero. Do you really think it deserves it's own thread on a conspiracy board? You're just bringing this criticism on yourself because you're showing yourself to be a disgruntled member of society who thinks everyone is worthless, therefore, when you personally, do something that any fool could do... you think it's extra special!

I don't get how some people think she deserved this for being with him...... I don't know,[snip]it, I'm not helping in anyways next time.

[snip]

I see. Now that you didn't get the grand praise you were looking for, you're not going to do anything next time. Well my friend, it's entirely obvious now that that is all you wanted in the first place. No offense, but I find that completely disgusting.

[snip]

The words of a hero if I've ever heard them!

Cause you can be sure I won't. I've gotten to much crap for this already.
[snip]
Crap. I think we've created a super-villain!

Mod Edit - removed quoted material that violated T&C's

[edit on 29-6-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Enough of the Ad Hominem attacks already! It's really easy for you to sit there in front of your computer and talk shizzle, but this kid lives near the border! Maybe you've seen all the news about the Cartel volence??? These guys were probably packin' and instead of starting a thread that should be discussed, he'd could be laying on a slab in the morgue! ATTACK THE POST, NOT THE POSTER!!! You make me ashamed to be a member here!

Republican08, you did the right thing, especially considering your circumstances, which you clearly laid out early in this thread! GOOD FOR YOU FOR DOING SOMETHING! Unlike the gutless cowards who just stood by and watched!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I've called 911 on a couple of occasions to report a fight in progress and once to report a shooting.

I wasn't involved directly in any of those events. I didn't know if there was a right person or a wrong person. I figured that I'd let the police sort it out.

It took all of 30 seconds to make the phone call and provide the relevant information as to location and individuals involved.

The police responded almost immediately in two of the cases and a little while in the third case.

If I had witnessed what you saw in your parking lot, I would have discreetly called the police on my cell phone. I might have driven down the block and then made the call, but I would have called.

It doesn't take much to make a cell call.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Republican.. I'm into a lot of what you post and have me . nodding in the good way all the time, but there is just some things people have to do. Regardless if the state "puts you on probation," who gives a # about the state? I know I have no issue with stepping outside the probations that I've been on to do what I know in my heart is right. Things can get out of control fast, but with courage and right, you let the world know how you feel about it.

Never stand back when your heart is telling you to "move." # an invisible trouble restraint when a woman is being assualted right in front of you. If they're breaking in their windows to get in the truck, hot wiring it to start, and beating women, you probably have nothing to worry about when you put the smash on this guys jaw.

Just think what kind of impact you would have made in that woman's life. Knowing that she isn't alone and doesn't have to be controlled by some overbearing man. What if that was the day you changed that woman's life. In reality, she probably excuses his actions and thinks he loves her, but what if it was the other way?

I will put the smash on bad guys until I no longer can, and being on probation has never stopped me from laying into any worthless piece of #. Hopefully I'll leave this earth stepping in between the tyranny of one person and the innocence of anothers. I'd be honored.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by trace_the_truth

I foed you so I can ignore your post on other threads, because you have a messed up view of the world.

I haven't asked for any appraisal, or anything. I don't know where your getting this from?

What the main point in the original post, was why was everyone taciturn on the event, and how disgusting that is.

I called the police, and did everything I really could do. I'm not a hero, or flaunting myself as one, i'm really flaunting that I did, what I have always thought other people would've done, which apparently is blatantly not true.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

It's a deferred adjudication, one thing, one simple mess up, 5 years in prison.

I'm not a prison type of guy. I'd be killed and be a sexual assault statistic.

Also, we have a ton of gangs here, and with the recent kidnappings and drive bys, and people found in bayous tortured to death in gang related activities. I don't know just how well it's going to be going up to four tweakin mexicans and fighting.

Alot of things, here, could of endangered me, and my family.

I really thought I had done a kind thing yesterday...apparently not!

Guess either next time, I just won't do anything, or die trying?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Don't be afraid of the unkown. Goodwill will always works itself out for the better.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

Dont' so quick to judge others. Haven't heard of women who stay with an abusive significant other because of low self esteem, and or nowhere to go?! It is very hard to leave a life that one has become accustomed to to start anew. The world is full of them. In my line of work I've put warrants out on abusive husbands, boyfriends, etc., and when the warrant comes back, I find the bastard back with the victim. I used to get a little ticked about that, but now I try to explain to the victim that they NEED to do something or someday their abusive mate may KILL them. If people just stand by and do nothing then we have failed as HUMANS. We must stand up for those who don't have the will, or strength to stand up for themselves.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Thank you BLUES, I put that quote in this thread as well. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who believes in it. STAND BY AND DO NOTHING AND "EVIL" HAS WON.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join