It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From witchcraft to philanthropy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

From witchcraft to philanthropy

www.summitdaily.com

A woman raised as a witch doctor in Uganda became a nurse in the United States and is on track toward a Ph.D. from Yale University.

In a few weeks, Rose Nanyonga, 35, will retrace the steps she took to leave the African country long plagued by AIDS, war and poverty.

The 32-mile walk she took as a teenager led Nanyonga from the village of Bamunanika — where she was disowned for abandoning the witchcraft rituals — to Kiwoko. It initiated a journey, which, in the course of two decades would often bring her back to serve her people.

“No one else as smart as she is understands Ugan
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
newsforums.bbc.co.uk
www.summitdaily.com
www.summitdaily.com
www.thenational.ae

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The witch is perhaps the most feared person around the world. A person who strives to obtain power to create evil and havoc.

The witch is possibly the most steadfast personality the world has known, existing for thousands of years in the face of constant adversity, which never wavers. It’s truly a struggle between good and evil. The question is, of the two, what is the witch?

The definition of “Witchcraft,” according to most anthropologists, “is the illicit use of extra-ordinary or supernatural power to cause harm or to influence events. Sorcerers use spells to enchant and to create a specially prepared poison, to create a “sorcerers arrow” which causes the injection of a foreign object into the victim’s body.

Much of the research on witchcraft treats it as a Christian concept with the Devil in the exchange of power and motivation of the witch.

Do you believe in Witches? Are you a good Witch or a bad Witch? In many myths and legends, spirits and sorcerers are not explicitly said to be good or evil. They’re just mischievous or powerful with a sense of magic.

Putting them to death is quite horrific, especially burning them alive.

A witch's power

Nanyonga began her witch doctor training at age 4, said Kate Glerup, a member of the group from Breckenridge traveling to Uganda.
“They hold a lot of power,” she said of witch doctors, adding that they may be paid to curse one's enemies or to protect from curses.

And the experience involved witnessing some disturbing rituals.

“I'm sure she watched child sacrifices from an early age,

A new voice

Nanyonga's superiors instructed her to listen to the voices of spirits. But when she was 16, she heard a voice that said “you'll be born again. Some missionaries came to her village and gave Nanyonga a Bible, which she read twice. She liked what she read and began turning toward Christianity, which the trainers did not approve of.

“They said, ‘If you listen to this, we'll kill you,'”

Helping her people

Rather than abandon the people who had cast her away as a teenager, Nanyonga has since used her skills and familiarity with Ugandan culture to help with orphanages, nursing programs and other aid to a country where AIDS and other pathogens are widespread killers. The Breckenridge group met Nanyonga through Christian organizations that brought her to Colorado, and the Ugandan has visited the town a number of times.

www.summitdaily.com...&ParentProfile=1055

Case of woman who flew naked in a basket renews witchcraft debate

Regina Sveto, together with two accomplices, allegedly “flew” naked in a traditional African basket one night from Murehwa to Harare, a 120km journey, in order to kill Tobias Zemba, her brother-in-law, using witchcraft.

The undertaking was aborted later that night when, on arrival in Harare, Ms Sveto, 21, rejected an order to carry out the killing. Apparently angered by her refusal, her colleagues, Elias and Filda Zemba, her father-in-law and aunt, fled, leaving her stranded in the garden of the would-be victim’s home in Highfield.
At sunrise, shocked residents gathered at the house to see a naked and dazed woman wearing beads around her neck, strings around her waist and red, traditional headgear.

www.thenational.ae...

Horror of Kenya's 'witch' lynchings

I can't see clearly what is going on, but heavy smoke is rising from the ground and a horrible stench fills the air.
More people are streaming up the hill, some of them with firewood and maize stalks.
Suddenly an old woman breaks from the crowd, screaming for mercy. Three or four people go after her, beat her and drag her back, pushing her onto - what I can now see - is a raging fire.

Burned alive

I was witnessing a horrific practice which appears to be on the increase in Kenya - the lynching of people accused of being witches.
I personally saw the burning alive of five elderly men and women in Itii village.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Do you believe in witchcraft?

In the last six months, as many as 150 elderly men and women accused of witchcraft have been lynched in Kenya, according to local officials.

Many were killed in gruesome ways, including being buried alive, by members of their own families and communities.

Similar "witch" killings have occurred in recent months in Nigeria and the Central African Republic.

The BBC's Odhiambo Joseph, who personally witnessed the burning alive of five people accused of being witches in western Kenya, will be taking questions from you on Africa Have You Say.

Has witchcraft affected you? Have you ever been accused of it? Is it mere superstition or a part of life? What's behind the increase in the killing of alleged witches? What stance should African governments take on this?

newsforums.bbc.co.uk...

www.summitdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Whichcraft isn't evil or good, how it's used is what makes one good or evil. This is pretty much what it is.

Oh, and a thought, the Salem witch trials killed thousands of women because they 'were witches'. So I'm thinking, will history repeat itself and will we have smart people/free thinkers/psychic trials? I'm just pointing something out. Flame away if you want, skeptics.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Actually there were only 20 "witches" killed at the Salem witch trials...19 hung and one crushed, 4 others died while being held. Not being skeptical, its just that "thousands" sounded like too many...

www.eyewitnesstohistory.com...

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Talk about holistic care. Sounds like she'd be a great person to have as a doctor. I don't think being a healer is all about bookwork and feel her past experience could do nothing but help.

I hope she does well.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I find it a rather beautiful story. She realized her dream and cast herself along the path destined towards realizing the same... and now she gives back to that and those who'd cast her aside in the first place.

What a wonderful life story and How beautiful an individual?

Personally, I wish her nothing but the best and would appreciate the opportunity to shake her hand one day.

[edit: to add]
Have any previous responders actually Read the Full article?

[edit on 28-6-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
Oh, and a thought, the Salem witch trials killed thousands of women because they 'were witches'. So I'm thinking, will history repeat itself and will we have smart people/free thinkers/psychic trials? I'm just pointing something out. Flame away if you want, skeptics.

The Salem witch trials encompassed more than just women. Men and children were targetted also.

'Thousands' is a gross overstatement of the facts, thousands all around the world perhaps, but in Salem only 140 people were tried, of those 19 were hanged, one was pressed to death, and a dozen or so more died in jail.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Well I dont live too far from Salem. From what I know there are 2 types of historical witch hunts. Some were hung and others burned at the stake.

Most had no affiliation with witchcraft, as far as I know.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Hmm, I always figured more than 20, since Salem was famous for it's historic hangings.

I also have some living near by at a lake. They claim white magic. what ever that is?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Thanks. I thought it was a beautiful story, as well. Some forgive and give back to their community. She is certainly full of wisdom and strength. We need more of that.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor
The Salem witch trials encompassed more than just women. Men and children were targetted also.

'Thousands' is a gross overstatement of the facts, thousands all around the world perhaps, but in Salem only 140 people were tried, of those 19 were hanged, one was pressed to death, and a dozen or so more died in jail.

Yes, it is true that for the course of 300 years during the years of the Witch-Hunts, only a small handful were persecuted in the colonies. However, in the rest of the Western World, as many as 5 Million people were persecuted for Witchcraft (Men representing about 20% of that total number).

The most conservative number is presented by Robbin Briggs, the author of Witches and Neighbors: the Social and Cultural Context of European Witchcraft, argues this number as

"to date less than 15,000 definite executions have been discovered in all of Europe and America combined. Even though many records are missing scholarly calculations now put a maximum at 40,000 - 60,000."

Robin Briggs, must be noted, is an apologist for the Catholic Church, so this figure of 40,000-60,000 put to death during the Witch-hunts is the absolute most conservative figure available.

So, the Poster's statement of "thousands" is not by any means an overstatement, but rather an understatement...and depending on whether you believe the Catholic Church's meager 40,000-60,000 figure or the more widely accepted 5 million figure, 'thousands' is putting it lightly.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
"They claim white magic. what ever that is?"

I don't really know but I wrote back and forth to a lady on this site who was a wiccan a long time ago. I started the correspondence to compliment her on the general advice she gave people. I told her I was raised Christian and was a little surprised that we thought so much alike on things. Her reply was "Many paths lead to the top of the mountain"
. -She was cool and what I'm getting at is your people by the lake might very well be too.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Thanks, I'm not a scholar on the number of those killed or persecuted. Thanks for the information it is interesting.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

Maybe, I'm thinking some are Wiccans and some are in to black Magic. One neighbor has stick figures hanging in their trees like the Blair witch Project. EXACTLY. I take people down their driveway at Halloween to spook them.

I'm an outcast out here in the woods. I'm the only one who has my forest lit up with Christmas lights in Winter.

I hear bongo drums in the woods across the street once a year. I have no clue to what they are doing. I'm hoping they are Wiccan, rather than Satan worshippers.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well, be careful. I'd keep putting up the X-mas lights. More people than you think probably like them even if not for the same reason you do.

I wouldn't mind spooking a few of the kids around here with the Blair witch things.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

That's funny I have a friend from Trinidad who always has a bowl of candy to hand out out Halloween. She had never seen such kids in costumes before and loves to see them. Not one kid came to her door little buggers. I told her to stick up a sign FREE candy next year.

Every year Me and my kids have a haunted forest Halloween party. I still have left over body parts up there I need to put in my garage.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

...the Salem witch trials killed thousands of women because they 'were witches'.

Thousands. Really? And where do you get that number?

The Salem Witch Trials ended with fourteen women and five men hanging at the end of a noose.

And no matter what you think of that episode, that's a very far cry from "thousands".

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
So, the Poster's statement of "thousands" is not by any means an overstatement, but rather an understatement...

No, that poster specifically stated the * Salem * witch trials resulted in thousands of deaths. This is categorically inaccurate. Had the poster said worldwide witch hunts resulted in thousands of deaths, that would be correct.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Whichcraft doesn't exist, so the whole point is moot.

Corrected for truth.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Whichcraft doesn't exist, so the whole point is moot.

Corrected for truth.

So you believe what you've been told from: Gov. officials and scientists?
man are you thick headed. Whatever metaphysical thing they say doesn't exist, obviously does.

I practice magik, and I am also training to unlock my psychic potential that is in every human on the planet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join