It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is space really a vacum?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Well the thing "i assume" is that the moon when it was formed "somehow" did not have enough gravity or "stuff" floating about round it to capture and sustain the gasses like earth did.. hence why its a crappy rock "or moon base" or whatever it is lol

But yeah it has an atmosphere...just its so crap its not counted as such if one would compare it to the earth

if you get my drift?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Take out all the air in a bulb and you can still light it up.
Not the Edison way.
Only the Tesla way.
The vacuum is electrically sensitive.
And will shine brighter than air.
Well you just took out all the air.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Well you know I've always had space down as a sort of preservationary 'gloop'. You know like, uh, growing a bacteria colony (my knowledge of scientific terminology is extremely limited so please: forgive me) in a petri dish (again I may be sorry). I think that Alien scientists have us growing as some sort of lab experiment to create life. The reason why space may be seen as a vacuum is because when something organic enters it the stuff devours it. Of course that would imply that rocks and so on are organic, given that they must have been spawned in the experiment to make way for 'living' organisms.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Ramadwarf Philes]

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Ramadwarf Philes]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
How could the astronauts jump up and land again on the Moon if the Moon dont produce a atmosphere?
But in space they float freely.

If the Moon dont produce a atmosphere it would mean the moons surface is the same matter as space it self. But then if a astronaut jumps on the moon he shouldn't be able to land again?

If you go out side and pic up a rock and drop it... i bet it will hit the ground because of the atmosphere between it and the ground.

An atmosphere is caused by gravity holding gases against the surface of a planet or moon so atmosphere is a product of gravity, not the reverse

An astronaut in orbit is weightless because his orbital velocity is producing a centrifugal force equal to the centripetal force of gravity causing the 2 to cancel out. He still has mass and if he slows down he'll descend (centifugal force less than gravity) and if he speeds up he'll move away from the planet (centrifugal force exceeds gravity). That gravitational attraction will be basically the same regardless of whether the planet has an atmosphere or not and I say 'basically the same' because the atmosphere itself has mass which adds an infinitesimal amount to the planet's total mass and therefore increases the gravity effect of the total mass by an unmeasurably small amount. The earth would have the same gravitational acceleration on the surface (9.8m/sec^2) with or without atmosphere so a rock would drop at the same acceleration in both cases (yes I know it would reach terminal velocity in an atmosphere because of friction losses (drag) which increase as the square of velocity). With no atmosphere the acceleration would continue until hit the surface - so the impact velocity in a vacuum is higher than in atmosphere.

The upper reaches of the atmosphere are highly energised by solar wind, a variety of radiation from lots of sources etc and molecules can reach extremely high velocities, sufficient to exceed escape velocity and cause a constant 'bleeding' of the atmosphere into space where it's lost. In the earth's case, the abundance of life and moisture combined with solar warming is producing gasses at a high enough rate to compensate for the losses. IE it's a delicate balance between gas loss, gas production and gravity that maintains an apparently constant atmosphere.

If there's no process going on in or over the planet like active lifeforms, volcanic activity, evaporation or inorganic gas producing chemical processes then the atmosphere is eventually depleted leaving a barren airless body like the moon behind. Mars appears to be in the latter stages of totally losing its atmosphere because there seems to be nothing happening on the planet to replenish it.

[edit on 30/6/2009 by Pilgrum]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
To answer the question, yes, space IS INDEED a vacuum. And us, humans, are the nasty/heartless/careless pieces of crap who are right on the bottom of the vacuums' dirt bag.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by OopsDidIDoDat]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OopsDidIDoDat

That sums it up rather well

I should add that space has varying degrees of 'emptiness' and where we are (inner solar system) there's a fair amount of matter whizzing around in it from lonely atoms to large chunks of rock. Intergalactic space is likely to be a lot more empty than what we see in our immediate neighbourhood.

One other point is that vacuums don't actually 'suck'. Gas will move from high pressure areas to low pressure areas so it's actually being pushed. If the force holding it down (gravity) is greater than the force produced by the pressure differential then it stays put (mostly).

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Why is space called space? I guess it's because there's nothing there apart from other suspended rocks and so on. There is more space than physicality, but then again because there's nothing in space there must be more physicality as space is nonevent. It does, however, have a physical presence on things so it does exist.
I am not rambling off here, I'm gettting somewhere! I would say, my theory aside, that space is a vacuum. I still think that one day scientists will discover that Space has its own DNA because it is a life form, but maybe not yet...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramadwarf Philes

spot on

The universe is alive why? well your a reflection of it

not your form just your mind

mind bending heh hehehe

gave you a star

top topics

<< 1   >>

join