It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins backs atheist camp to give children 'godless alternative'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tank2/8

Sperm can live 3-5days inside the womb guy!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Tank2/8]

Exactly, so I suggest you quit using the phrase "morning after pill" because it is a mis-nomer unless you are talking about the ru pill.

Don't blame us for being confused when you don't know the right terminology and so far what you have given you copy pasted and presented it as if you knew what you were talking about.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well it's about time! I have always been an athiest. My Father is an athiest. I don't exactly hate religion; unless of course it is being forced on me by some nutcase in the street. I would like to take this opportunity to tell you a little story:
While disembarking from the bus (visiting my grandmother) this man came up to me and he said "Excuse me sir ccould I have two minutes of your time?". I said "NO.". He physically stopped me and pushed a leaflet in my hand before saying "Do you believe in Jesus Christ?" with this pious smile on his face. I said "No, No I do not.". I go to walk away and he physically stops me again with a look of unbound shock on his once 'happy' face. After some time, time that I could have been spending advancing on my Nan's home, he made the biggest mistake any religious man/woman could make when trying to coonvert someone to their religion: he says "Have a good day.", followed by "I hope that you and your family rot in hell for your sins against the lord.". Now I know that not all religious people are like this, some are very open minded (as I generally am) but it still isn't very good is it.
Anyway, painful memories aside (extremely painful for him it turned out), this athiest camp seems like a great idea! No, it is a great idea. I am certain that the religious will have something to say about it [yawn] but it should go ahead as planned.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ramadwarf Philes
Well it's about time! I have always been an athiest. My Father is an athiest. I don't exactly hate religion; unless of course it is being forced on me by some nutcase in the street. I would like to take this opportunity to tell you a little story:
While disembarking from the bus (visiting my grandmother) this man came up to me and he said "Excuse me sir ccould I have two minutes of your time?". I said "NO.". He physically stopped me and pushed a leaflet in my hand before saying "Do you believe in Jesus Christ?" with this pious smile on his face. I said "No, No I do not.". I go to walk away and he physically stops me again with a look of unbound shock on his once 'happy' face. After some time, time that I could have been spending advancing on my Nan's home, he made the biggest mistake any religious man/woman could make when trying to coonvert someone to their religion: he says "Have a good day.", followed by "I hope that you and your family rot in hell for your sins against the lord.". Now I know that not all religious people are like this, some are very open minded (as I generally am) but it still isn't very good is it.
Anyway, painful memories aside (extremely painful for him it turned out), this athiest camp seems like a great idea! No, it is a great idea. I am certain that the religious will have something to say about it [yawn] but it should go ahead as planned.

Interesting story, but what is your point?

Were you just getting off the bus when he acosted you or were you now off the bus and he followed you off then asked if he could have two minutes of your time? May I also enquire how he was dressed? was his face clean and was he taller or shorter than you?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DASFEX

You are something else dafex. Yes I copied and pasted the document. I knew the information. It was easier to copy and paste the facts for you to read them. You really seem determined to argue. The facts are right there.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

reply to post by DASFEX

You are something else dafex. Yes I copied and pasted the document. I knew the information. It was easier to copy and paste the facts for you to read them. You really seem determined to argue. The facts are right there.

Easier than adding a link to it? Easier than using external quotes copy pasting the same exact thing?

Or easier than having to think for yourself? .

You really seem determined to argue

Doesn't stop you from jumping into the frey.

The facts are right there.

Yes and naturally when someone uses the phrase "morning after pill" and knowing what that is, why wouldn't anyone who knows the difference between the two, be confused. Knowing the use of the phrase morning after pill is a mis-nomer and giving you the benefit of the doubt that you DID in fact know what you are talking about, what we find is that YOU were using the mis-nomer to describe what anyone of us that DOES know the difference would have come to the same conclusion.

Anyway, water under the bridge

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DASFEX

reply to post by DASFEX

Easier than adding a link to it? Easier than using external quotes copy pasting the same exact thing?

Or easier than having to think for yourself? .

You really seem determined to argue

Doesn't stop you from jumping into the frey.

The facts are right there.

Yes and naturally when someone uses the phrase "morning after pill" and knowing what that is, why wouldn't anyone who knows the difference between the two, be confused. Knowing the use of the phrase morning after pill is a mis-nomer and giving you the benefit of the doubt that you DID in fact know what you are talking about, what we find is that YOU were using the mis-nomer to describe what anyone of us that DOES know the difference would have come to the same conclusion.

Anyway, water under the bridge

wow....you are one hard headed individual. Lets just rap it up like this and to each his own. If you find that such things are immoral or would violate your faith......dont do it and dont press it on people who dont agree and vise versa.

The main point at the beginning of my rant was that personal religious ideology should not be impossed onto the general public. It happens, you are full of # if you think it doesnt.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I think that the parents should decide what best best for their child . It they wish to raise the child as an atheist so be it. If they wish to raise the child a christian so be it. If the state wishes to interview that's wrong and that state is evil. Bottom line is fanaticism is bad ,and yes there are even fanatic atheist .
As for the atheist camp big freaking deal , good on em' I don't care either way.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OpusMarkII

Yes, except that as a Society we have a RESPONSIBLITY to ensure that children are appropriately cared for.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpusMarkII
I think that the parents should decide what best best for their child . It they wish to raise the child as an atheist so be it. If they wish to raise the child a christian so be it. If the state wishes to interview that's wrong and that state is evil. Bottom line is fanaticism is bad ,and yes there are even fanatic atheist .
As for the atheist camp big freaking deal , good on em' I don't care either way.

Name one fanatical atheist.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

You are something else dafex.

is their something else you think I should have been?

wow....you are one hard headed individual. Lets just rap it up like this and to each his own. If you find that such things are immoral or would violate your faith......dont do it and dont press it on people who dont agree and vise versa.

The main point at the beginning of my rant was that personal religious ideology should not be impossed onto the general public. It happens, you are full of # if you think it doesnt.

First of all, I think a LOT of things shouldnt be imposed on the public. I don't think excessive taxation shouold be imposed on the public, I don't think the way public schools are promoting Gay lifestyles to children too young to even be interested shouold be imposed on us Public citizens. I don't think TOLERANCE should be imposed on us or cap and trade or the global warming scam, or TARP, the patriot act, Community Service, Bank Bailouts, Auto Bail outs, anymore news about Michael Jackson, Government subsidized abortions, I don't like Mega wealthy people like Nancy Pelosi flying around in her own 727 with her staff and telling CEO's they should be ashamed of themselves for flying to washington on a private jet while the cost of Pelosi's jaunts are imposed on us.

Now THOSE are things that I think are much more worthy of getting enraged about, rather than having to tolerate reading "In God We Trust" on our money.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by DASFEX]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing

Originally posted by OpusMarkII

Name one fanatical atheist.

Pol Pot, Mao, Stalin, Sam Harris, Dick Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Bill Maher, and many on these boards

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matteo
Mind should be very open, don't let your mind to be shut down by atheism...Really
My mind isn't closed, I've never believed in God or Jesus or any of those things, I had more faith in father chistmas and the tooth fairy as a child as they left physical things for me. I wouldn't say there's no massively powerful entity that could be seen as a god to us mere mortals as I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt that one single being of any form created the entire universe.

Do you wanna know the consequences of those camps on young people?

. They will think life has no meaning and they will be weak in difficult period
My life has meaning, I believe I'm here to make people around me happy and to help them through difficult times. When my grandma died a few years ago I was the one people went to for comfort.

. They will become arrogant and harsh when discussing with people who have faith in a creator. They will teach them to avoid people who believe.
I know a lot of religious people who do the exact same thing, though myself, I try not to get into discussions on religion usually. To me it's just like a child believing in the tooth fairy or the sandman, just with less evidence of it's existance.

. Atheism is an escaping from simple rules of life, so they will think they can do whatever they want, and they will be less respectful
This one is total bull I'm afraid. Common sense and decency are the simple rules of life that I abide by. Not stealing, raping or killing, being polite to people, helping people who look like they're in trouble, all things I do. Not because a religion says to but because it's common sense and polite manners.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DASFEX

I tell you what, I'm going to answer your questions AND tell you what my point was, ok?
Right: I had just gotten off of the bus and within thirty seconds (Don't pick at that please, it's a geeky estimation) he took me (to talk about God).
Right: The way he looked- A black fellow, probably in his early twenties, hadn't shaved for a couple of days, purple shirt, dark blue jeans, white trainers, some sort of necklace, woolly hat.
Point: My point was to tell you how (as I'm sure you are aware) you don't get athiests coming up to you in the street unless they want directions (as far as I know; and please don't comment on my directions comment, it was a joke).

I hope that I have answered your questions satisfactorily. If I haven't, leave me another message.

Ramadwarf responding to a response made to his original message

Oh, he was shorter than me. By the way I didn't really hurt him, in case you were going to inquire about the fact that I hurt a small bloke. Thanks!

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Ramadwarf Philes]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DASFEX

You are something else dafex.

is their something else you think I should have been?

First of all, I think a LOT of things shouldnt be imposed on the public. I don't think excessive taxation shouold be imposed on the public, I don't think the way public schools are promoting Gay lifestyles to children too young to even be interested shouold be imposed on us Public citizens. I don't think TOLERANCE should be imposed on us or cap and trade or the global warming scam, or TARP, the patriot act, Community Service, Bank Bailouts, Auto Bail outs, anymore news about Michael Jackson, Government subsidized abortions, I don't like Mega wealthy people like Nancy Pelosi flying around in her own 727 with her staff and telling CEO's they should be ashamed of themselves for flying to washington on a private jet while the cost of Pelosi's jaunts are imposed on us.

Now THOSE are things that I think are much more worthy of getting enraged about, rather than having to tolerate reading "In God We Trust" on our money.

I all see here is just a bunch of words. You have not made a single relevant point, only an attempt to counter what I have said.....with zero facts. The sperm lives 3-5days, but Sperm can fertilize this newly released egg during a 24-hour window.
If sperm fertilizes the egg during that 24-hour window, and if conditions are right, the fertilized egg implants itself into the thickened uterine lining and the woman is pregnant. If the egg goes unfertilized or if something prevents implantation, the woman doesn't get pregnant and she begins menstruating about two weeks after ovulation. Then the cycle repeats. This is how the morning after pill works. The morning after pill PREVENTS pregnancy. It DOES NOT ABORT IT!

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Tank2/8]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

The morning after pill PREVENTS pregnancy. It DOES NOT ABORT IT!

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Tank2/8]

Geez dude PAY ATTENTION! It was YOUR refrence that using the word Morning after pill is a MISNOMER

Now as I said before, if you would QUIT using the improper terminolgy, then people wouldn't be arguing with you. Rather than google an answer from an article and copy pasting it to us, try reading it yourself. The only reason I am not going to say you are wrong, the morning after pill does abort it is because I know you have no idea you are using a misnomer but to be precisely specific, I will say again The morning after pill causes an abortion.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by doogle
I highly doubt that one single being of any form created the entire universe.

No closed mind but what about an imagination Perhaps this being doesn't operate according to our finite thinking, our very limited knowledge of everything

I know a lot of religious people who do the exact same thing, though myself, I try not to get into discussions on religion usually. To me it's just like a child believing in the tooth fairy or the sandman, just with less evidence of it's existance.

so you're just making an exception joining this thread ?

This one is total bull I'm afraid. Common sense and decency are the simple rules of life that I abide by. Not stealing, raping or killing, being polite to people, helping people who look like they're in trouble, all things I do. Not because a religion says to but because it's common sense and polite manners.

can't argue with that

My life has meaning, I believe I'm here to make people around me happy and to help them through difficult times. When my grandma died a few years ago I was the one people went to for comfort.

How did you comfort them? what did you say?

Just out of curiosity what "possessed" you to use such an unique avatar, I have seen quite a few of those lately. Beings with eyes all black and mouth missing or smudged out

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DASFEX

Not so much an exception joining this thread, I like to read the religious ones, I just don't normally participate in them, but I felt like doing so this time, don't know why though.

When comforting my family members it's not really what I say, it's more being with them, letting them talk about how they're feeling and listening to them, giving them a hug etc.

My avatar thingy is just a picture of myself that I changed to look alienish, I made it a while ago when I was bored after I'd seen somebody else's version and thought it looked cool. Plus I've been interested in the alien / UFO phenomenon since I was about 5 or 6 when I saw a flying object that nobody around me could identify, including my parents.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Dawkings simply has no belief that there is a god so his label is an atheist. No different to a christian not believing in the existence of Allah thus also making the chrsitian an atheist in the eyes of a muslim.

There is all sort of wrong things about that statement.
That scenario would make the Christian an INFIDEL.
Because as a Christian, he already believes in a God, there is no way he would be labelled an Atheist.
Just like Muslims don't believe the Gods of other religions which doesn't make them Atheists either.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

That's not specifically correct. Agnostics reserve judgment. Atheists do not believe. One does not have to actively disbelieve to be an atheist. Agnosticism is a more specific position, related to pyhrronian skepticism. Atheism simply requires not believing in any god.

Of course, if you deny the existence of any gods, you're also an atheist, but that's going one step farther than the minimum requirements.

This should make perfect sense, because you can't very well call people who see no reason to believe in any gods and hold the opinion that they probably don't exist, but also admit they have no proof one way or another agnostics.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DASFEX

This is the last time I am going to post about this particular topic because this thread is covering a much larger area.

You are the only one arguing with what I am saying DASFEX. So what If I did a sloppy job of cutting and pasting? The facts are still there.

The next thing that you reply about this subject. Give me some FACTS that proves me wrong and I will then take into consideration your point of veiw. But SHOW me the medical research (which is perfectly capable) that has determined that the morning after pill (a couple different types of treatment) acually TERMINATES an existing human life.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join