It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins backs atheist camp to give children 'godless alternative'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matteo
I'm sorry to say this, but not really so much, shame on those who those who organize those camps, and not because they should be ashamed not to have faith but because they will teach them ho to enclose their minds...

Mind should be very open, don't let your mind to be shut down by atheism...Really

That this world has a creator is the most obvious thing in the universe

Why atheists should publicize and make public their loss of faith ( I am sure all of the atheists are people who lost faith, no one never had faith in such a thing like a creator )?
Atheists want to fight against the faith of religions because they actually recognize there is something more, a creator...And they want to fight this thing like adolescents want to fight against rules...

Do you wanna know the consequences of those camps on young people?

. They will think life has no meaning and they will be weak in difficult period
. They will become arrogant and harsh when discussing with people who have faith in a creator. They will teach them to avoid people who believe.
. Atheism is an escaping from simple rules of life, so they will think they can do whatever they want, and they will be less respectful

Do you want to know a thing ? It's like some very conservative religious people who could say " Aliens are not present in the Bible, than they don't exist " right in front of an alien...Atheist say" Creator is in the Bible, so it doesn't exist "

Don't you notice?

I would like to add that faith should be very personal and should bring someone to think deeply about things.

Non believers ( That's what I noticed ) are always telling people " African children are dying in thousands, so the creator should not exist "
They tell people " What God did for your life? "
They should think " What I have done to bring something good to African people ? " The Good spreads if it is helped to...Many many people ( Me included in many things ) don't do anything to bring something good

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Matteo]

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Matteo]

You said somethin I about threw my laptop for!
. They will think life has no meaning and they will be weak in difficult period.

Life has no meaning.

What is the difference between a life awaiting death, so you can sing for eternity.

Or, just maybe, realizing this is your one only shot to do something with this pleasure you've stumbled across, from nothing.

We know what religion has brought us.

Oh and this whole, atheist are those who have turned their back on god.
Phony, sorry bro. Phony

I was a christian, I never felt god turned his back on me, actually I felt more or less, like the blessings and cursings, were in fact, good things, and bad things, and more or less, 'bad stuff'' happens, and good stuff happens!

Then I realized, hey its life, eventually something good, and something bad will happen.

This is life. But if we stop at the beginning, we must assume a divine being is controling our lives, then we think no free will, wait a book says it, so it's ....what????

Your whole post, was a disgusting throw of words, with they will, just assuming things, and in that you make a SNIP of yourself infront of me.

You can predict the future, nostradumus, jesus, elijah, fly up on your fiery chariot and tell me when your going to die, and what happens afterwords.

You think atheist are arrogant, we don't post proclaiming that all christians are arrogant, all muslims are psycho indulgists, hindus are selfrightous selfrighteous.

Atheism, is not what you have been misguided to see.

It's a belief, for me very personally, that this is my one shot, I was lucky to be born, to have atoms connected into me, on a quantum scale, and have electricity recognize my conciousness. And feel I must make the best of my life.

Although you take no concern of life, because that rapture will happen any day, must convert more to christianity!!! Hurry, it's got to be soon now, it's been 2,000 years!!! Any minute now!

It's not going to happen.

We need to colonize other planets, and expand science to support our meaning in life, the only reason we're alive, is to SURVIVE!!! Survival of the fittest not of the delusioned.

I'll put it in writing to make myself clear.

God doesn't exist, in any religoius form, or whatever form you please, It is a whole big money hoax! It relaxes your fears, and makes you comfortable with things you don't like.

It's a comfortable pillow which helps you sleep at night, knowing that everything is okay, when it's really not okay. But you stil sleep at night, and that's all that matters

I'm furious, and will post a thread tomorrow, or sometime this week. Dedicating it to you.

Feel very special, very special. It's going to be a good one.

Don't worry I won't attack just the views I will.

Which all views should be discussed, if we are to belive them!

--------Editted to remove offensive language, and also the recent thread by, Elevatedone, about simulated cursewords no longer allowed on ATS.

Editting should be done.

It's late, if mods see this and there is somethin not appropriate, please U2U, and i'll fix asap, don't snap it in a Off Topic immediately.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

It's funny that you say that kids just accept what the preacher would say at Bible Camp. I'm assuming that at "Atheist Camp", the kids will be taught evolutionary things. Will the kid not just accept that as true [like kids do with their teachers at school]?

You have a valid point but perhaps we are both making assumptions without all the facts.

So let's look at this from a slightly different angle, Agendas' whos' agenda and what agenda.

We are told that Dawkings is behind this so let's go with that, what do we know of Richard Dawkings ?
Well for one he is a very decent polite bloke, very well educated and read, who happens to observe the "fact" that the is no proof of a god and and logically concludes that god probably does not exist.

Dawkings simply has no belief that there is a god so his label is an atheist. No different to a christian not believing in the existence of Allah thus also making the chrsitian an atheist in the eyes of a muslim.

So what harm can Dawkins' atheist camp do to a child's' mind ?
Well very little really. It would perhaps encourage the child to think critically and weigh up evidence based upon observation.
Would this be forcing a belief down the throat of the child ? How could it possibly be ? The child is encouraged to think critically which precludes accepting a belief.

Would the child be guided toward evolution ? Given what I've seen of Dawkins not likely, I would imagine the child being encourage to think critically about the opposite first.

Personally I see no harm being done here, granted there is an element of ridiculing religion, but if there is any truth in religion then this would be (but rarely is) dealt with intellectually.

The wonderful thing about science is that it is changing, new answers are being found to old questions, theories are often revamped, new things are learned, mistakes are made and are often(but not always) admitted.
Science gathers information measures weighs and compares, indeed all is opinion but all involved can disagree and present tier own findings for perusal.

This is not the case with religion, the abrahamic religion begins with an absolute and that is the bibles. There is no other source of this belief there is nothing outside of the bibles and questioning their validity is not only discouraged but punishable.
No evidence is required by bible believers, all that is required is faith, which is believing something without evidence.

If a child is taught to think critically, then he has the opportunity to evaluate the "theory" of evolution, which as Richard Dawkins himself observes is the best answers we have so far.

Later on the child may wish to evaluate the merits of religion, the bibles will still be there for him to evaluate they will be exactly as they were before, nothing is lost.

The evidence presented to the child will be no different than had he not learned to think critically.
Pillars will still hold up the sky, dead people leave their graves and go to the mall, the earth was made before the stars, women are subordinate to men and men can live inside fish. And if you don't believe all this then you will be killed and tortured for all eternity.

Now if an adult wants to believe all that, great kick on you have an option, but a child "Must" be given the opportunity to acquire the tools in order to make that decision.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Well, ignoring the SNIP stirring post by Matteo, I think this is a great idea.

If children can be instructed to believe in supreme beings, angels & demons and other such things, all without any evidence, then why not a camp that allows them to deconstruct that view and allow them to see the world and reality as a series of events with cause & effect? Makes sense to me.

And it certainly doesn't "close their minds" as it was alluded to by another post. I say it does the opposite - it allows them to take a perspective that has the ability to *adapt* to change and new information. Scientific theories and hypotheses can often be proven wrong when new information comes along - which is what is so fantastic about science - it can ADMIT it's wrong and adjust it's theories (beliefs) accordingly to the new info.

As long as the camp isn't forcing them to believe (or disbelieve) in things, but rather, showing them that deductive reasoning, logical analysis and common sense are far more valid than factless faith, I say, go for it.

Mod Edit: Removed censor circumvention.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I say, let kids go, let them make up their own minds, let them not be brainwashed by parents.

This is a great idea, as long as the kids are not brainwashed there - and who knows. I have lived in this world long enough to be disillusioned by everything.

People are not trustworthy. On second opinion, I would not send my child.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

You BELIEVE there is no god. Christianity believes there is a god. Two different belief systems. And for all we know unicorns could exist on a different dimensional level, to claim they flat out do not exist is idiotic, because we don't know what's out there. I'm not the one being silly young man.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by seanizle

You BELIEVE there is no god. Christianity believes there is a god.

Please don't dictate to me what I do and do not believe, If you were courteous enough to ask and not presume then we wouldnt be having this chat.

There is no proof that there is a god (in this case as defined by the bibles), I observe no evidence for such a being. I therefore have no belief in your god, if you cannot (or choose not to) figure out the difference, then may I suggest you take a little me time to consider these thing with your own thoughts.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

Actually I am agnostic - and atheists go further than not believing - they deny the possibility of a god.

Well that's a bit like saying all xtians are child abusers, one of the most celebrated (I'm going to pay for the wrong choice of words there lol) atheists is Dawkins he does not deny the possibility of god, although he does observe the improbability of such .

Obviously if you are in error in this instance then you are completely in error.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
This is an absolute discusting thing planned, sure some might say, atheism is a belief and therefore entitled to have their own camps but, the key defining thing that seperates Christianity and atheism is the morals that Christianity has. Morals that have protected western society for centuries but are now crushing down under the tide of athiesm and foreing religions. Sure some might say that there is no evidence of God living, but the theory of evolution has not been solidly proven, and there are still many holes in the theory. Everyone knows that children are suceptable to persuasion and indoctrination when they are that young and are not old or mature enough to make their own desicions. This is nothing but an indoctrination camp trying to kill the Christian religion. The only thing Atheism leads to is Marxism and then communism, and we all see how well that went in the athiest soviet union with over 20 million innocent people massacred. We can already see the damage that our secular society has cause over the past few decades, with crime rates soaring and people only looking out for themselves.

There are only 2 possible endings after death. 1 that we have souls and that we live for eternity. or 2 that we don't and we )ust become nothing for eternity. If you think about these 2 possibilities closely you will see that they are actually the same and they both are never ending.

Its better to believe in something fair and )ust such as Christianity, then not believing in something at all.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Atheists are as much of a lost cause as fundamentalists in mainstream religions. Oh wait atheism is a mainstream religion.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon

Originally posted by moocowman

I really do not understand atheism, its a belief system that does not like belief systems?

How on earth is my having no belief in unicorns a belief ?

Don't be silly young man

Actually I am agnostic - and atheists go further than not believing - they deny the possibility of a god.

While I think there is basically zero chance that any of the organized religions are right and have summed up what the supreme being is - and what his recipe for eternal life is - I do not rule out the possibility that there is some kind of giant geek up there in god-knows-where-land.

I really doubt it - but hey - I also think a tea pot flying in space, and pink unicorns are possible too! About as likely as god, and each other.

your wrong there...even dawkins doesnt say there definately is no god...he just says its very very unlikely..see...even he doesnt deny the possibility of a god...how can he?

are you agnostic about unicorns too?

[edit on 29-6-2009 by alienesque]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque

I really do not understand atheism, its a belief system that does not like belief systems?

How on earth is my having no belief in unicorns a belief ?

Don't be silly young man

While I think there is basically zero chance that any of the organized religions are right and have summed up what the supreme being is - and what his recipe for eternal life is - I do not rule out the possibility that there is some kind of giant geek up there in god-knows-where-land.

I really doubt it - but hey - I also think a tea pot flying in space, and pink unicorns are possible too! About as likely as god, and each other.

your wrong there...even dawkins doesnt say there definately is no god...he just says its very very unlikely..see...even he doesnt deny the possibility of a god...how can he?

are you agnostic about unicorns too?

Dude please check who you're replying to as I have not said what you imply.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Amagnon

Well that's a bit like saying all xtians are child abusers, one of the most celebrated (I'm going to pay for the wrong choice of words there lol) atheists is Dawkins he does not deny the possibility of god, although he does observe the improbability of such .

Obviously if you are in error in this instance then you are completely in error.

Your last sentence is a gross generalization - each statement, theory or principle may stand or fall on its own merits, not all of my arguments were based on that observation.

Regardless - I think that the definition of atheist seems to preclude any possibility of god(s).

To use a convenient source - though not an authoritative one; from the Wikipedia -

Atheism can be either the rejection of theism,[1] or the assertion that deities do not exist.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]

Certainly the first two statements of this definition preclude any possibility of god(s) - it could be ventured (I will submit) that the last statement could leave the door open to such a possibility. Not believing in deities I guess may be broadly interpreted, and may not deny the possibility of such.

However -

Agnosticism .. is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of deities, spiritual beings, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently impossible to prove or disprove. .. Agnosticism refers to knowledge, while atheism and theism refer to belief.[2]

I think if Dawkins position is that it is highly improbable that god(s) exist - then he is more correctly an agnostic.

For me the critical phrase is as follows - "Agnosticism refers to knowledge, while atheism and theism refer to belief."

For myself - I dispute the entire validity of belief and truth in explaining either reality or metaphysics. Only knowledge is a viable path to understanding - truth on the other hand is only a path to belief.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fapython

the key defining thing that seperates Christianity and atheism is the morals that Christianity has. Morals that have protected western society for centuries

Of course your joking right ?

I would wager my morals far exceed that of your jesusgod.

When my son misbehaves I talk with him what does jesus recommend ? -

STONE HIM TO DEATH !!

I learn my friend prefers a relationship with the same sex, I am happy that he or she is happy. What does jesus recommend ?-

Kill him/her !!

I learn my wife was not a virgin when we married, I think "there you go" what did jesus advise ?-

Kill her !!

My friend doe not choose to be a christian I am glad he has the right to choose, what does jesus think ?-

Kill him !!

My country is at war and observe the Geneva convention (hopefully) when it comes to prisoners, what did jesus recommend ?

Kill all the males and keep the little virgin girls to do as you wish with.!!!!

I abhor the thought of slavery what were jesus' views ?

If your slave misbehaves then beat him till he almost dies but if he actually dies then that could be construed as an offense. !!!

Yes we all know how the jesusyahwehgods morals have kept humanity in just the right place.

What a repugnant belief system you look to for your morals .

[edit on 29-6-2009 by moocowman]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]

Well that pretty much sums it up and is a fair generalization, so why not start there ?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

I think if Dawkins position is that it is highly improbable that god(s) exist - then he is more correctly an agnostic.

Why not try reading what he has to say, then you will know for sure will you not ?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

who happens to observe the "fact" that the is no proof of a god and and logically concludes that god probably does not exist.

The "facts" are always up to interpretation, though. We usually interpret based on our presuppositions. We all do it. So, when he concludes that there is no God, he has a presupposition somewhere that pushes him toward that. Just as people who say there is a God based presuppositions. But, something that theists usually have, that atheists don't, is that they've experienced God in some way. In any event, when looking at "facts" we all carry some presuppositions.

No different to a christian not believing in the existence of Allah thus also making the chrsitian an atheist in the eyes of a muslim.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Muslims look at Christians as "atheist". They believe that we worship the same God, but we're, more or less, infidels because we haven't chosen to "submit" to the same level that they do.

So what harm can Dawkins' atheist camp do to a child's' mind ?
Well very little really. It would perhaps encourage the child to think critically and weigh up evidence based upon observation.

This is something that can't be said out right. We'd have to see how the camp is done. If it is done like most Christian camps I've experienced are, it would do no harm. This is because at Christian camps, it is assumed that the kids are Christian and so the teaching is not so much evidence for the Bible or Christianity, but what the Bible says about various life situations/events/how to live. [Even if you're not Christian at a Christian camp, some of this information could be valuable nonetheless!]

If however, the camp is nothing but a run-down of the evidences/proofs for evolutionism, there could be harm because it really wouldn't allow the child to think for themselves. If that is how the camp is to be run, the correct thing then, if one is worried about kids being indoctrinated, would be to also offer something to show the evidences of something else.

Remember, if atheism/evolutionism had a clear cut, vacuum sealed case, we'd all be that right now. It's not like that though.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at!

Would the child be guided toward evolution ? Given what I've seen of Dawkins not likely, I would imagine the child being encourage to think critically about the opposite first.

If they are encouraged to critically think about the opposite first, I would hope that they would get someone who is qualified to go through the religious end. Know what I mean? Someone who actually knows their stuff. Much like I don't run to the first schmo on the 'net when I'm thinking about evolution/creation. I seek those who have studied/worked in those fields.

Personally I see no harm being done here, granted there is an element of ridiculing religion, but if there is any truth in religion then this would be (but rarely is) dealt with intellectually.

Just for the record, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to have an atheist camp. They can have their camp, the Hindus can have Hindu camp, and the Jews can keep having Jew camp. Maybe we should have an ATS camp! What atheists choose to do doesn't affect me spiritually. My fear though, as I think I've made clear earlier, is that this atheist camp will become what the atheists think is the opposite of Christian/religious camp, which may not exactly be true. We will have to wait and see though.

This is not the case with religion, the abrahamic religion begins with an absolute and that is the bibles.

The absolute that the Abrahamic religions start with is God. He was there before the Bible started to be penned.

There is no other source of this belief there is nothing outside of the bibles and questioning their validity is not only discouraged but punishable.

What do you mean there is nothing outside the Bible? Some very valuable information for Bible study comes from outside the 66 books. Where have you heard that denying the Bible's validity is punishable? People have told me in person they don't believe that Bible to be true, but I don't smack 'em and make them do 100 push-ups for me.

Even in Christian circles, at least those I've been in, we're encouraged to seek the truth for ourselves and not just accept what our pastor says blindly. When I say something about the Bible here on ATS, I would hope that people go and see what I say is truth as well. Perhaps you're thinking of ultra-fundamentalist Christians or one of the Christian-cults, like the Jehovah's Witnesses? If so, it's silly that they're that way. There is very little that is God honoring in that point of view and you're never going to grow to be strong in your faith. You'll always be a baby Christian and always feel threatened when someone attacks your faith. [You'll also think that outward actions will show your spirituality...when they don't! (At least not all the time!)]

No evidence is required by bible believers, all that is required is faith, which is believing something without evidence.

More correctly, faith is believing something without seeing it, not without evidence. Hebrews 11.1 (ESV):

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Assurance can only come with evidence. The evidence isn't always going to be 100% conclusive, but it will point toward something. Often something that we can't see. Many Christians, like myself, like to see some evidence of what I believe in. And, the obviously must be some evidence or else no one would be Christian!

When a Christian says, "All that is required is faith", we mean that all we need is faith in Christ for salvation. It doesn't mean trust the Bible without question or your particular church leaders. Just, trust in Christ for salvation. [Which you can do at any time moocowman!
]

If a child is taught to think critically, then he has the opportunity to evaluate the "theory" of evolution, which as Richard Dawkins himself observes is the best answers we have so far.

Since when he critiques evolution though, I would assume that he carries the presupposition that evolution is true. So, when he looks over the current theory, compared to "new evidence", in his mind, though he not realize it, he makes the two mesh together. As I've said before, we all do this. Our presuppositions are the biggest hurdle we must clear in "critical thinking".

[quotes]Pillars will still hold up the sky,
"Pillars holding up the sky/earth" is a literary term. It's figurative speech. We use figurative speech today as well.

women are subordinate to men

Biblically, women are equal to men, but they have different roles. Men are called to do certain things, as are the women. For example, men are called to be the "leader" of the home. That doesn't mean that the wife is to bow to every if and whim of the husband. A very important passage about the marriage relationship is Ephesians 5.22-33.

and men can live inside fish.

I personally believe that Jonah died, but that's just me.

And if you don't believe all this then you will be killed and tortured for all eternity.

In college, my theology teacher used to say, "Thank goodness we don't have to be theologians to go to heaven!" This is true. The Bible says believe in Christ for salvation. It doesn't matter what you think/believe about the peripheral things.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

When my son misbehaves I talk with him what does jesus recommend ? -

STONE HIM TO DEATH !!

I learn my friend prefers a relationship with the same sex, I am happy that he or she is happy. What does jesus recommend ?-

Kill him/her !!

I learn my wife was not a virgin when we married, I think "there you go" what did jesus advise ?-

Kill her !!

Problem is, Jesus never said those things. Jesus came as the fulfillment of the law, which is summed up as, "Treat others as you'd want to be treated and love your neighbor as yourself." Jesus also taught forgiveness, which he showed with his coversation with the adulterous woman.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by fapython
There are only 2 possible endings after death. 1 that we have souls and that we live for eternity. or 2 that we don't and we )ust become nothing for eternity. If you think about these 2 possibilities closely you will see that they are actually the same and they both are never ending.

Its better to believe in something fair and )ust such as Christianity, then not believing in something at all.

So that's it, only 2? You know this, do you?

Why only two? Because your belief structure says there can only be 2?

What if everything is far simpler that what your BuyBull says, or what any religious person says. What if it's simply about energy and it doesn't matter what you *believe* in - the energy that is 'you' simply moves/warps/star treks its way to a different level of consciousness, etc?

In that possibility, what difference does believing in a silly old boy in a toga make? None whatsoever.

And your last line sums up the problem with religious fervor in the first place. Because you're unsure, just better be safe, you might as well jump on the Christ train? Essentially hedge your bet?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Fantastic.

Aslong as they aren't preaching against any form of other religious views during this camp, or telling them that Atheists are right and Christians are wrong, then that's fine by me.

Children are very impressionable, and they have to be very carefull how they present this, or they could end up hurting that child's social skills and their ability to learn from others who have conflicting views or beliefs.

But good to see diversity as the above poster said.

Alright UK.

~Keeper

why is preaching AGAINST any religion so terribly bad? if you presented it as if it's a myth, and give the reasons why religion was created in the first place, you will have some rational free-thinking children. you would be teaching about the oldest form of mind-control anyway. the granddaddy of them all.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

nope..hes an atheist..

if you think theres a 50/50 chance of there being a god..then you are agnostic..id love to know your reasons however for thinking that way...

no one knows theres no god for sure...dawkins is a serious scientist and he would never claim to KNOW theres no god...he simply claims he very much doubts there is one and lives his life accordingly...

he leaves such nonsense statements to religious fanatics who claim to KNOW theres a god..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join