It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese send flotilla of gunboats to Hong Kong

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The NYTimes is reporting that the Chinese government has sent a flotilla of gunboats to the city/island of Hong Kong, where there is growing anger over China's decision to forbid elections in that city:

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This has the potential to get real ugly.

I hope level headed diplomacy is used instead of force.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
here are some articles concerning that election decision:
www.washingtonpost.com...

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.reuters.co.uk...

Are we about to see a tienamen square type situation?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
So, the admonition I sang in my drunken state in HK on the night of the Handover has come to pass..."The party's over..."

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
actually... the lead was almost misleading... these were actually destroyers, frigates, and submarines...

Now, were they simply parading, as China claims, or were they there to intimidate?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
actually... the lead was almost misleading... these were actually destroyers, frigates, and submarines...

Now, were they simply parading, as China claims, or were they there to intimidate?

Sounds like a display to me. Those types of ships are for war......
And with all of the hoopla surrounding the current political situation in HK, seems to be a little off for it to be called a coincidence.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Bah
China sends a fleet to Hong Kong, it's a threat. America sends a fleet to Hong Kong, it's to restock.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm not an expert on China, but my father certainly is (drunk will attest to that) and if he thought this, he would certainly have told me about it
How does sending a navy over to Hong Kong affect us in any way? We were there to GREET them not to shun them. We have PLA barracks in our SAR, it makes no affect whatsoever, only to ignorant westerners who dont have a clue about Chinese politics.
The people of Hong Kong will never be intimidated into it.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Bah
China sends a fleet to Hong Kong, it's a threat. America sends a fleet to Hong Kong, it's to restock.

It is too soon to tell, but Don't you think the coincidence of the current political situation between HK and China warrants a little investigation?

These next few months are going to be very interesting.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
No I dont lol
my father recently got appointed as an advisor to, effectively, the Chinese government in Hong Kong
If he was worried I'd be the first to know, trust me.
China are going to pull out of Hong Kong politics entirely

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
well... if you read the NYTimes articles they make a clear connection between the refusal to allow democracy and this sudden show of force. As the writer pointed out, a 'parade' like this wasn't put on for the last 'Navy Day'.

Also, the article makes it sound like many leading residents of Hong Kong are upset about this... If a military parade/review is going to upset people where it takes place... Isn't its purspose clear?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Shakes ><
Not very many people are at all upset about it
American ships come and go alot. It's really no big deal. Trust me.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yes... but America didn't just tell the people in Hong Kong that their planned elections weren't going to happen.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
We never had planned elections in the context you mean.
they have always been dictated by China
hence the controvesy, we want free elections. look up the 1st July marches last year

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

We never had planned elections in the context you mean.
they have always been dictated by China
hence the controvesy, we want free elections. look up the 1st July marches last year

we'll see when chinese troops are marching through and ships open fire on hong kong, i want the same as you and i hope youre right but i just dont trust china to not do something.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
China rely on Hong Kong being free and open... If the citizens refuse to work (world's 2nd or 1st largest port in terms of volume) China crashes

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Did it occure to any of you that you might be talking to a communist?

So, Browha, Christine Loh is just some lone voice in the wind...as well as Martin Lee as well that that guy I was talking to in HK who was crying in his beer, right?

You do realize that I get Christine's political opinions in my emails...oh, but I am just a silly westerner.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Colonel]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

China rely on Hong Kong being free and open... If the citizens refuse to work (world's 2nd or 1st largest port in terms of volume) China crashes

In fact, I contend that Beijing never cared about Hong Kong and Hong Kongs rights will slowly be stripped away. For decades, Hong Kongers have felt that they were better than the average Chinese because the place made money. Beijing didn't like that but coulod do nothing since it was British territory---kinda like a slap in the face.

So, in the meantime, they decided to build up Shanghai to its former glory as an economic zone, concentrating on the Pudong area. Then, to seal the deal, after the Handover, they got a Shanghaiese guy, Tung, to be governor of Hong Kong. Now, where do HIS loyalties lie?

Where do his loyalties lie since they CHOSE him as governor, this shipping magnate, because Beijing bailed his shipping company out from going belly up and he was required to return the favor?

But, I'm just an ignorant westerner right?

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Colonel]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I would not put anything past the Chinese Goverment after the Tiennamen Square massacre.

I just hope that Browha is right.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I get Christine Loh's e-mails too.
In fact I spent a couple weeks last summer working for her
My dad is one of the directors of one of her charities actually
and they're pretty good friends

top topics

<<   2 >>

join