It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar bear expert barred by global warmists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Polar bear expert barred by global warmists

telegraph.co.uk

This is one of a steady drizzle of events planned to stoke up alarm in the run-up to the UN's major conference on climate change in Copenhagen next December. But one of the world's leading experts on polar bears has been told to stay away from this week's meeting, specifically because his views on global warming do not accord with those of the rest of the group.

Dr Mitchell Taylor has been researching the status and management of polar bears in Canada and around the Arctic Circle for 30 years, as both an academic and a government employee. More than once since 2006 he has made headlines by insisting that polar bear numbers, far from decreasing, are much higher than they were 30 years ago. Of the 19 different bear populations, almost all are increasing or at optimum levels, only two have for local reasons modestly declined.

I certainly wasn't aware about polar bear numbers actually having increased in the last 30 years. I can see why they barred him and I guess if the only purpose of the conference is to scare the public on global warming it would make sense.

But it's my opinion that conferences like these, when dealing with matters that effect every single human being on this Earth, should include all points of views, not just the ones that go along with a theme you would like the conference to go in the direction of.

Note: My views on global warming is that it's a natural cycle are going through but the way we've lived on this Earth definitely hasn't done anything good for it and may have actually sped up the process.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well, I guess that makes sense since we've been told that the time for debate is over. Let's just accept everything the "Global Warming experts" keep feeding us and we will be fine.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just imagine how the plants delt with the horrible oxygen pollution... and then all the trash the dead plants left lying around and there was nothing to digest them. We as humans are obviously stupid horrible and ignorant... and DISTROYING (OMGOMG) the planet.

It is foolish for any man to think he has distroyed anything. Imagine the feast of asphalt and plastic in store for the first bacteria to evolve enzymes to digest it.

We are OBVIOUSLY just making the planet worse for allowing any evolution to take place on it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Dr Taylor was told that his views running "counter to human-induced climate change are extremely unhelpful". His signing of the Manhattan Declaration – a statement by 500 scientists that the causes of climate change are not CO2 but natural, such as changes in the radiation of the sun and ocean currents – was "inconsistent with the position taken by the PBSG".

telegraph.co.uk

So instead of a genuine scientific discussion, it's just "you're with us or you're against us"?

Clever.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I may have misinterpreted your post. It does seem that you were being sarcastic, but, oddly, I'm not sure what direction you were going with it.

In any case, in response to they way I perceived you sarcasm I want to say that I don't think destroying our planet is excusable. One can believe that global warming is a natural process but also feel the need to seriously curb pollution, destruction, and imbalance that IS a direct response to human ignorance as to how we can develop but still respect our Earth.

It is entirely possible to go overboard with "being green" and creating government policies and legislation to force people to do things a certain way. (like cap and trade, ignoring obvious facts (such as the polar bears) that go against a theme of fear, etc).

But there is a balance and we can't just go around chopping down forests, poisoning rivers, killing entire species, using materials that sit in gigantic piles for centuries without expecting there to be consequences.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I certainly wasn't aware about polar bear numbers actually having increased in the last 30 years. I can see why they barred him and I guess if the only purpose of the conference is to scare the public on global warming it would make sense.

Sarah Palin used the fact that Polar Bears have increased in population in her opposition to extending the run Polar Bears have had on the endangered species list. She was widely criticized by her position.

Global Warming is nothing but a ploy to tax and control you all. If you don't believe in Global Warming you will be call a "denier" a polluter, and soon you will be called terrorist. It's coming.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well I did read a report that said that the quell in Seal Hunting over the past 20 years has had a drastic effect on the bear population. Specifically the Polar Bear.

It's interesting that they would pull a stunt like that. It's not like he isn't a respected member of the scientific community, somebody will listen to him.

Strange times we live in...strange times..

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I read this story on wattsupwiththat.com... an excellent site that many scientists frequent who have differing opinions to the mainstream 'climate change' agenda.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
ya and so we all know polar bears thrive in hotter weather-i don't mean 80 degrees i mean when it is 39 below they die when it it like 20 above then they thrive- heat brings life. in the winter and cold periods they don't eat because their pray just leave. their pray swim away. and also so u no polar bears can swim 200 miles a day. and the Ice Caps are not getting smaller they r expanding they show u that SAME pic over and over. and say oh we r killing em. when we arnt

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Sarah Palin used the fact that Polar Bears have increased in population in her opposition to extending the run Polar Bears have had on the endangered species list. She was widely criticized by her position.

Global Warming is nothing but a ploy to tax and control you all. If you don't believe in Global Warming you will be call a "denier" a polluter, and soon you will be called terrorist. It's coming.

There is no question that Global warming is happening. It's happening to just about every planet in our system. The question is what is the cause of it? Humans or a natural solar cycle?

Global warming also doesn't have to mean that the end of the world is coming, i.e. mass floods, volcanoes, hurricanes, etc. It simply means that the Earth's average temperature is warming up, that there are ice caps melting and causing the ocean currents to flow differently. I think that denying global warming all together is a bit naive. But, unfortunately with all the negativity that surrounds it most would rather deny it altogether than risk being labeled as a tree-hugging hippie.

As for Sarah Palin's comment. She just wanted to open hunting on the polar bears. Just because there numbers may have increased does not mean they aren't still an endangered species. If we took them off, and people started hunting them, we would most likely have to put them back on because we can't usually seem to control ourselves in those matters.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by Wertdagf

One can believe that global warming is a natural process but also feel the need to seriously curb pollution, destruction, and imbalance that IS a direct response to human ignorance as to how we can develop but still respect our Earth.

i would argue that it's corporate ignorance that you're talking about.

some large communities are outspoken against the devastation their environment suffers because of corporate interests in the area. and while those interests don't necessarily affect the planet, it certainly lowers living standards.

as for the polar bear numbers increasing, it's refreshing to see a large main stream news agency like the telegraph report it. people like alex jones have been reporting these findings for well over a year.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
from the op i get the feeling it is not just the good news about the polar bears but the fact that every dissenting opinion is silenced or blocked..............thank you obama

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This may have been said but to iterate: The fact that the conference will not permit a true debate on the subject of global warming/cooling cries out 'bogus' on so many levels that it is truly nauseating.

We are being railroaded, mostly likely by junk science, when the main objects of the global warming crowd appear to be increased taxation (pardon me for breathing) as well further global/individual control.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ionut

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I should have been more specific and referred to the corporations who are the main perpetrators.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

It is good news about the polar bear. But most of that probably has to do with them being put on the endangered species list. I wonder if they weren't, what their numbers would be like now as a result of BOTH global warming and hunting.

As I said, I think it's one thing to blame global warming solely on human activity and another to disregard that it's even happening.

And while Obama is most certainly not going about the issue responsibly and shouldn't be repressing dissenting opinions, don't forget that Bush suppressed the consensus that global warming WAS happening.

How I see it? It doesn't matter who caused it. What matters is that industry should have been and should be held more responsible for completely ignoring the effects it has on our daily lives.

On the one side, you have people saying, "Hey it's not us that did this. It's a natural process so why change our ways?" and they repress any evidence that pollution ans destruction of habitats is effecting us and other living beings.

On the other you have people who say, "Look at what we've done to the Earth. You need to stop or we're all gonna die from human caused global warming.".

But neither of those matter and no information should be repressed. Because all that matter is that global warming (climate change or whatever) IS happening. And regardless of who caused it, going around pumping toxins and poison into the atmosphere while simultaneously destroying the habitats that can help negate some of the effects those have on our health/environment isn't helping anyone either.

So the polar bear are doing pretty good. That's awesome. But don't repress that information because you'd rather scare people into "being good" to the Earth. But also don't deflect responsibility for ruining habitats and making people sick by saying you have nothing to do with global warming. It doesn't matter if you do or not, you just shouldn't do it, period.

But, thankfully, industry has seen the effect they are having on the environment. There are major corporations that are taking steps to conserve energy and "go green". We should encourage those people as a way to reinforce the notion that other should take the same steps. Making them pay up isn't going to help anything and neither is not changing anything at all.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Yep, the Global Warming crowd were always talking about how the past administration was trying to silence them, when in fact the previous administration was listening to other scientists who are not on the Global Warming hoax agenda. At least that was one thing they did right.

Another thing I found interesting the past few years is that meanwhile the Globla Warming crowd was claiming that their scientists were being silenced, meanwhile most if not all of the news media reported their claims, the real silencing was being done to those scientiss who would dare to speak against the Global Warming claims. That is the claim that anthropogenic CO2 is the cause of the warming.

Scientists have lost funding, and their jobs just for questioning the Global Warming propaganda.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

top topics

join