It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something strange is happening in the forests of Africa.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Come on ATS, didn't you realize that with the recent digital TV transitions that these Chimps undoubtedly have recently switched to HD Cable !?

No but in all seriousness, Chimps had to have swam before now or they would've remained in the same general location having never crossed a river or stream throughout history.
What I do suspect is that they are completely aware of the fact that you can drown in water just as we are.

Once again, we Humans are on this superiority trip. Animals in general mightn't be capable of solving Calculus problems but it deosn't mean that they cannot think or learn. They have evolved and survived by overcoming day to day problems Just as we have.

Animals have been implementing tools for ages for their own survival. Seagulls dropping clams onto rocks from the air comes to mind as an example. Crows using passing cars to crack nutshells is another.

Watch this crow modify a hook to fetch the food !
www.youtube.com...

Animals simply aren't motivated by money and greed and do not seek material gain. Unfortunately we humans tend to look down on them as a lessor species as a result of this.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
well we all know that apes are omniphore... they like a steak!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's happened before and it will happen again, hope they do a better job this time around..

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The operative words here are "never before seen"...sort of like Europeans "discovering" America. The behaviors have been there for thousands of years, just no one was paying attention. Most animals are pretty self-aware and are far more intelligent than given credit for.

Here's a video of Japanese macaques who enjoy a day at the hot springs spa:

www.youtube.com...

And an article about a Macaque genius:

www.blueplanetbiomes.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
The operative words here are "never before seen"...sort of like Europeans "discovering" America. The behaviors have been there for thousands of years, just no one was paying attention. Most animals are pretty self-aware and are far more intelligent than given credit for.

Here's a video of Japanese macaques who enjoy a day at the hot springs spa:

www.youtube.com...

And an article about a Macaque genius:

www.blueplanetbiomes.org...

Maybe what it really means is researchers are leaving behind their preconceived notions of what they expect to see...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Ok ok ok..

We are primates!

Why is it so hard to believe that other primates would use spears?

I mean really. What makes you think that a fellow primate couldn't invent a spear or a method of spear fishing / hunting?

UMMM HELLOOO! We did that many years ago. Why couldn't a chimp? ANOTHER PRIMATE!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

it isn't so much that they couldn't, but more that they haven't (until now).

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I'm convinced that some monkeys have learned to log in to ATS..

2nd line..

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Frankly, i do not trust the idea that chimps never sat in the pond. And it is known that great apes can use tools. It is different thing to hunt with a spear then to crash a nut between two rocks, but i did not see a spear hunt, just chimp with a stick.
So far i saw nothing extraordinary, but i have to admit that i watched only beginning of the video. If there are phalanxes of marching chimps with spears, consider me wrong.

Exactly what I wanted to say!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by glock19

But what about ... the observer effect? If they really are copying humans and fishing with the sticks, that qualifies as "spear hunting"..

It's just not refined yet.

We'll know for sure in 30-50 years anyways, once somebody proves that problem solving, progressive intelligence, tool use, etc is inherent to most complex living animals given the proper set "nest" if you will. Whatever digs up our stuff in 100's of 1000's of years will hide the discovery in a vast conspiracy on the cat internet version of ATS and the cycle will repeat.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
I believe we give our primate relatives less credit than is due. Or any other living being for this matter. The only reason humans are so advanced is we figured out how to educate the young with knowledge passed down from generation to generation.

If the monkeys started passing down more and more info, I believe they would be perfectly capable of feats such as us humans have experienced.

And the big question is, what if they have been passing this memory language system of knowledge from generations down, but we are not advanced enough to notice it.

I agree, we have never gave any creature its due credit. All the test we do on animals to find out if there smart, like us or anything we will never know; just because what they do seems stupid to us does not mean that there is not a purpose for it.

Some primates besides Humans have been known to pass down traits such as how to use sticks in a certain way to get what you want and things of that nature.

Sometimes I think we are the stupid creatures because we make stuff complicated when there is no need for it to be.

I wonder what animals really think of us because its probably nowhere near what we guess it to be.

Nonhuman animals probably think the same of us as we do them stupid creatures who know nothing of whats going on around them.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Monkeys are not connected to us, we are not native to this planet, monkeys are..

This is my belief anyway, I hate this planet. Im never comin back here again, cant wait to die..

I call this planet, the land of pure ignorance..

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

The more we learn of the true nature of non-human animals, especially those with complex brains and corresponding complex social behavior, the more ethical concerns are raised regarding their use in the service of man -- whether this be in entertainment, as "pets," for food, in research laboratories, or any of the other uses to which we subject them. -- Jane Goodall

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Great vid, man.

As far as evolution goes - im inclined of alien intervention.

Maybe inteligent life has its own ways (exacly like the 'scientist' who
posted on page 4) and yes takes time, takes IMHO several leaps with
climate changes, food changes and the whole theory.

This must happen, because aliens evolved that way, and the
reason im buying the whole alien thing is because of the moon and
every report on the moon concludes its NOT possible to have that in orbit
(and its elementals are not from 'natural' earth)... if you dont buy that,
read Jim Mars on the book above top secret from some serious thesis
confrontation.

(Some say the history of the world is corrupted, as atlantis was an alien
base here and got mix with the natives... this does not sound soo far
fetch to me, with all the science we have today, it wouldnt be impossible,
just not ethical..)

And i hope some scientists start to really open their minds as the
body is just a vessel for the conscience.

If we are just creatures, it will be an awful waste of dreams and creation.

Peace,

[]´s
RP

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertPaulsim

Hi,
Creature alone means Creation and the belief of same,and even if you do not believe in Creation and are a being or entity you still dream.
Chimps have been filmed before using sticks as a tool,so have Gorilllas,for treading water, pinching fish and experimenting in the art of El nooky,all human traits.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Wow, thanks for that....What an incredibly fascinating series, revealing some amazing things about apes... S&F!

Sometimes I wonder if there is a secondary evolution of apes to man that is happening right before our very eyes. And if that is the case, and apes are evolving into man for the second time (or maybe even the 100th time?), then I have to wonder what are humans evolving into?

Maybe we will be their guides from above after apes will take our place, then we can make the same mistakes our former aides, guides or helpers did while trying to help us, then probably history will repeat itself.. and we will all risk having one hell of a ride again.

Life is never boring!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I am..... Tetsuo!

(from Akira, great movie BTW)

[]´s
RP

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertPaulsim

Oh well if you ain't Tiesto... lol

Second liner..

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I watched it, and regardless of whether it's happened before or not, it's still an amazing find. I've always been of the mind that we evolved from primates, so it's not surprising. And even animals are known to learn, use tools, and conquer fears. My dogs do it, why not chimps?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Hey OP, you need to put your opening post message in quotes. I thought what was in it was your original comments, but it's actually direct dialogue from the video itself. Without quotes, I think it's plagiarism.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join