It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troops Arrest Honduran President

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Troops Arrest Honduran President

news.bbc.co.uk

Honduran President Manuel Zelaya has been arrested by troops ahead of a controversial constitutional referendum.

Mr Zelaya's secretary said that the president had been taken to an airbase outside the capital, Tegucigalpa.

The move comes days after the president sacked the armed forces chief, who had refused to back the referendum plan.

Mr Zelaya - elected in 2006 for a non-renewable four-year term - wants a vote to enable him to seek a second term.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.janes.com
www.guardian.co.uk
edition.cnn.com
news.sky.com

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This is what happens when you insist on going against Congress, the military, the court, you own party, I guess. The military chief was fired by Zelaya, with the heads of the army, navy and air force all resigning in support.

The Presidents house is surrounded by troops; no word on the Presidential family. Some reports of power outage and TV stations taken down.

So, right or wrong? Should the Hondurans be allowed to say for themselves if a President should be allowed to run for another term? Or is written law the be all and end all? Will the military take control all over again?

news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 28/6/2009 by Muppetus Galacticus]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Some images of the troops on the streets in Honduras

www.noticias24.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So, Hugo Chavez is an alley of Zelaya - where will he fit into all this? He has been making noise for days now about Honduras not being on CNN

worldmeets.us...

"The President of Venezuela has launched an attack on U.S. television network CNN for saturating the news with the death of the 'King of Pop,' while in Honduras, he warned, a coup d'état is taking place. …

'These are the evils of capitalism,' he warned."

But it was only hours ago that the coup was reported to have failed after the U.S didn't support it

www.reuters.com...

MADRID, June 28 (Reuters) - Honduran President Manuel Zelaya told Spain's El Pais that a planned attempt to wrest power him was thwarted after the United States declined to back the move.

"Everything was in place for the coup and if the U.S. embassy had approved it, it would have happened. But they did not ... I'm only still here in office thanks to the United States," he said in the newspaper interview published on Sunday.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Replace Zelaya with Obama.

I think they did the right thing.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I just wanted to point out that if our government was really sincere with their "concern" about the situation in Iran, surely they will be concerned about this as well right? Shouldn't they be trying to intervene here and pass some sensational legislation to feign, I mean show their support?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
www.earthtimes.org...

Corfu, Greece - The European Union on Sunday condemned the military action taking place in Honduras and asked that constitutional order be returned. "The European Union has condemned the coup and is asking that order be immediately returned," said Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Morantonis during an informal EU foreign ministers meeting.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
hondurasnews.com...

The President of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez, officially announced his intention to intervene with force, in the political crisis facing Honduras in order to assist the Honduran President in his illegal quest (as declared by Congress and the Supreme Court) to hold a primary vote in order to assist him in changing the Constitution of Honduras.

This was from a couple of days ago, so this isn't an event completely out of the blue.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
No links yet, but news twitters say the President and family have been taken to Costa Rica, and the President of the Congress is going to be President of Honduras.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Obama statement

news.bnonews.com...

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- "I am deeply concerned by reports coming out of Honduras regarding the detention and expulsion of President Mel Zelaya. As the Organization of American States did on Friday, I call on all political and social actors in Honduras to respect democratic norms, the rule of law and the tenets of the Inter-American Democratic Charter. Any existing tensions and disputes must be resolved peacefully through dialogue free from any outside interference," President Obama said in a brief statement on Sunday morning.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the news! Years ago this would have been in msm, but msm is so tabloidized, no world news like there used to be.

This was only a referendum, not a vote that would change anything legally, plus this voting itself had already been declared illegal. Americans don't usually have referendums in general, or much anywhere else, there will probably be some confusion as to what took place.

According to the sources, Zelaya had already said he would not be in power anyway come the end of this term.

Interesting that the US was said to call off the coup. What would be in the "interest" of the US to once again involve themselves in Central American govt? Would another right wing govt BE in their interest at the moment, as it certainly had been in the past...yeah, right, to keep Communist hoards from massing at the border hahaha? A dictator was also useful to keep the country good for corporations and line pockets of the powerful with bribes and corruption dollars; more power for corporations and less power for the citizens. Keep the citizens in check.

OK, finally heard this on msm. Good. So coup did take place. Wow, what will happen now? Would Chavez intervene? Would it be military or through diplomacy? Is this a chance to let South American states handle their own matters? Or will US right wingers and pundits want the US to get involved, once again on the side of dictators now that a left wing has been ousted?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Why, oh why, did this double post?
I'm trying to get used to my new mini-notebook...that's probably the cause...bummer...this one seems to be super sensitive. Ok, here goes this edit! fingers crossed

[edit on 28-6-2009 by desert]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have a friend that used to live in Honduras, and immigrated here. He still has family down there. I shot him a text message to see if he knows anything. I will post his response when I get it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus

This is what happens when you insist on going against Congress, the military, the court, you own party, I guess. The military chief was fired by Zelaya, with the heads of the army, navy and air force all resigning in support.

The Presidents house is surrounded by troops; no word on the Presidential family. Some reports of power outage and TV stations taken down.

So, right or wrong? Should the Hondurans be allowed to say for themselves if a President should be allowed to run for another term? Or is written law the be all and end all? Will the military take control all over again?

news.bbc.co.uk

This is why you have the three branches of government. The Executive branch, President Zelaya thinks he is going to be another Hugo Chavez and change the constitution so he can remain in power. The Supreme Court ruled the move illegal and Congress agreed. He tried to move ahead without the support of the other two branches of government. The military chose to maintain the rule of law and back the Supreme Court and Congress. I think they did the right thing.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It is off Twitter, but BNO has never been a problem for me before

BULLETIN -- OFFICIAL: TROOPS "KIDNAP" VENEZUELAN, CUBAN AND NICARAGUAN AMBASSADORS IN HONDURAS FOLLOWING MILITARY COUP.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Protesters reportedly hurled rocks at the soldiers, shouting "Traitors", AP news agency reports, as tanks rolled through the streets and air force jets flew over the capital.

Early on Sunday, witnesses saw dozens of troops surround Mr Zelaya's residence.

In other developments:

• At an emergency meeting in Washington, the Organization of American States condemned what it called a "coup" in Honduras

• Mr Zelaya's ally, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, blamed "the Yankee empire"

• US President Barack Obama called on Honduras to "respect democratic norms, the rule of law"; the EU condemned Mr Zelaya's arrest

Zeleya claiming "the elite" did it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I wish that our military had the balls to do that five years ago. I think all US politicos are crooks and the voting machines are rigged. For this reason alone they shouldn't be given the option of a second term.

Edit to add
Star and flag for you!

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Get involved. Iran is over sees, Honduras is very close to us.

This is our chance to face Hugo without war, and make him lose.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Keep it coming, Muppetus!
Will the US intervene to help Zelaya return or to install someone from the right wing? Zelaya called for the US to legalize drugs. Did this idea upset someone in Washington who could benefit from keeping them illegal?

This was about a REFERENDUM, not a binding vote. I guess some people don't want ANY opinion from citizens.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Rumours abound of Chavez putting his troops on alert. Would he really throw what he's got at Honduras over this? When was the last time he put his money where his mouth is?

EDIT: Link

www.forexyard.com...

CARACAS, June 28 (Reuters) - Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez on Sunday put his troops on alert over a coup in Honduras and said he would respond militarily if his envoy to the Central American country was attacked or kidnapped.

Chavez said Honduran soldiers took away the Cuban ambassador and left the Venezuelan ambassador on the side of a road after beating him during the coup against Honduran President Manuel Zelaya, his close ally.

Speaking on Venezuelan state television, Chavez said he would do everything necessary to "abort" the coup. (Reporting by Frank Jack Daniel and Enrique Andres Pretel)

www.vheadline.com...

Obama communicating with the coup forces in Honduras to "feel out" situation

UPDATE: 12: 18pm - Dan Restrepo, Presidential Advisor to President Obama for Latin American Affairs, is currently on CNN en Español. He has just stated that Obama's government is communicating with the coup forces in Honduras, trying to "feel out" the situation. He also responded to the reporter's question regarding whether Washington would recognize a government in Honduras other than President Zelaya's elected government, by saying that the Obama Administration "is waiting to see how things play out" and so long as democratic norms are respected, will work with all sectors. This is a confirmation practically of support for the coup leaders. Restrepo also inferred that other countries are interfering in Honduras' international affairs, obviously referring to Venezuela and other ALBA nations who have condemned the coup with firm statements earlier this morning.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
www.telam.com.ar...

Argentine President says military coup in Honduras is "a return to barbarism"

Télam. National News Agency of Argentina. June 28, 2009. President Cristina Fernández said on Sunday that the military coup in Honduras "is a return to barbarism" in the hemisphere and announced that Argentina will request the Organization of American States (OAS) to demand "the immediate reposition of President Manuel Zelaya", toppled, arrested and beaten by the Honduran military.

Brazil has also allegedly spoken out against this move to oust Zelaya. And other media outlets do like Chavez soundbites:

sky news

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez has threatened military action after the country's ambassador to Honduras was kidnapped in a coup.

mod edit, attempt to fix link

[edit on 28-6-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join