It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we award negative stars or some such system for what we believe are bad threads or posts.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Could we award negative stars(thumbs down) for what we believe are bad posts.

In the same way that we can star and flag a good post or thread ,how would members feel about being able to leave a negative star or thumbs down to a thread or post.I know it may tread on some people feelings but could be a good way to suss a thread out or at least gauge members feelings on a post or thread without having to post a comment.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I would say that ATS would become strangely like youtube.

And that wont be nice.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I thought about this as well, ... unfortunately those who put up strange and horrible posts are probably like 14 years old, .... and dont really care anyways, ........

... but if it does go into effect I just have one suggestion. Instead of black star's or a thumbs down, .... we should be able to give someone a " flaming bag of crap" ..... yeah.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Most members on here don't post many post at all,they may flag and star a thread or post and now that the counters don't work (what ever happened to them) its hard to tell how many people have read your thread or post and what they have thought about it. Perhaps instead of a negative star or thumbs down we could have a score out of 10 that could be left or like you said a star rating similar to you tubes 5 star system which I do find helps you to decide whether to bother viewing a video or not.If its got a one star rating and it been rated 30 times there is a good chance its poor.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
I thought about this as well, ... unfortunately those who put up strange and horrible posts are probably like 14 years old, .... and dont really care anyways, ........

... but if it does go into effect I just have one suggestion. Instead of black star's or a thumbs down, .... we should be able to give someone a " flaming bag of crap" ..... yeah.

I fear you are straying into godlike productions territory with flaming bags of crap. I would think most members would want to keep it more discrete.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Anyone thought about removing stars alltogether, it's quite annoying having a gang of people star one post which seems to be a hoax, people start believing it because it has stars?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I'm in total agreement with you !
To me there seem to be an excess of threads that really have no place to be here ... I'm referring to those threads that make the most outrageous claims imaginable and yet supply not a single shred of proof, evidence or substantiation to back up their claims.

I've seen posters flock to threads making such outlandish and unproveable statements as astral projection, reptilian shape shifters, vampires, super power abilities, one conspiracy after another, etc, etc ... and the amazing thing is that so many members accept these claims on face value as if they're the natural thing in the world to believe !

I could just as easily claim that I have a pack of dinosaurs living in my basement but without offering any tangible and researchable proof, would be to embarrased to post such a thread and expect anyone to believe me ... and yet that's the exact situation regarding a huge number of threads here ... imagine how much more respectable and credible threads would become if when an outrageous statement, belief, comment is made that accompanying evidence and proof is also supplied.
That way, if someone feels inclined to make bogus and ridiculous threads, the lack of backup corroborating proof would immediately indicate the level of believability we should assign to that thread.

Personally, I would much rather read and enjoy and participate in a thread that comes across as believable rather than being asked to believe that the poster had an out of body experience with the help of another unknown and unseen member.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Good idea!

Normal post treated as same level as bad post is unfair.

CX

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I think this would be greatly abused.

As long as there are people here that cannot take it on the chin when someone disagrees with them, this sytsem of negative flagging would be abused.

I agree that it would become like YouTube.....not a good thing.

As a wise man once said....don't fix what ain't broken.

CX.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I think this would be greatly abused.

As long as there are people here that cannot take it on the chin when someone disagrees with them, this sytsem of negative flagging would be abused.

I agree that it would become like YouTube.....not a good thing.

As a wise man once said....don't fix what ain't broken.

CX.

How could the insistence on supplying some kind of proof be abused ?
You either make an outrageous claim and supply substantiating proof to validate your claims ... or you supply NO proof at all and label your own thread as bogus ... seems simple to me.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Thats what the stars are for.

But have you thought that this feature may be put into misuse too?

Suppose, if one member doesnt like the opinion of the other member. So, even if he is correct he recieves a negative flag. Does he deserve that when he is right?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
i like the idea that you can only give out as many stars as you gain, and moderators are the only one's to award additional stars. that way people arent giving out stars to just anyone, cause you lose a star when you give one out. but would mods give out enough to keep the starring going?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Why would there even need to be a "star system" ? Surely a good post (irrepective of it's topic or subject) is one that provides reasonable proof or evidence to back up it's claims ? Hard to see how such a simple and reasonable system could be abused by anyone.

if you claim to have seen pixies in your back yard ... then by all means to be taken seriously simply supply reasonable proof ... not hard to do, is it ?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I think we're going a bit deep on this one.
Lots of times I read a post with a view i disagree with, a quick click of a red/black star is all it would take to put my mind at rest :-)
Open to abuse? I don't think it would be any more/less open to abuse than the systme ATS has now.
It's a great idea and in many ways should already be here going hand in hand with the blue stars.

Change? We fear change.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
Lots of times I read a post with a view i disagree with, a quick click of a red/black star is all it would take to put my mind at rest :-)
Open to abuse? I don't think it would be any more/less open to abuse than the systme ATS has now.
It's a great idea and in many ways should already be here going hand in hand with the blue stars.

Change? We fear change.

To an extent I agree with you ... but do you think it's at all fair to us members who enjoy and look forward to intellectual and thought provoking subjects to find ourselves inundated with what can only be called mindless drivel ... simply because those particular posters know they can get away with these ludicrous posts and not be accountable for the legitimacy of what they're trying to get the rest of us to believe ?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by afoolbyanyothername

Originally posted by and14263

Change? We fear change.

To an extent I agree with you ... but do you think it's at all fair to us members who enjoy and look forward to intellectual and thought provoking subjects to find ourselves inundated with what can only be called mindless drivel ... simply because those particular posters know they can get away with these ludicrous posts and not be accountable for the legitimacy of what they're trying to get the rest of us to believe ?

Confused... surely the black flags would mean that we wouldn't believe the mindless drivel?? There's more people willing to black flag rubbish nonsense than people who will get together in a hoax group and blue flag nonsense.
I really really really don't see how there can be a debate on whether or not we have an I don't like it button as well as an I like it button.
If you're sensible (not you in part. that's you plural) than you do your onwn research anyway and the amount of stars only acts as an indicator as to whether a threa is mainstream/popular.... make your own mind up and place your own star.
Gotta run... going to see some meercats (sp? there's an H in there somewhere).

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by afoolbyanyothername

well first off, some people like to show people that they appreciated what they were saying and not neccesarily u2u them and say, "hey man great post even though it may be wrong" so putting a star is a way of showing you appreciate that thought. and sometimes what people believe in animately, has no proof for them to show, so we cant just throw out everyone without proof, juist move their thread to most suitable place. you got to understand alot of people just post to feel they are apart of something, and to feel accepted or smart, and if its a thread about pixies and you're pissed they have no proof, well you shoulda went to a more meaning thread for ya, and not get involved with those ones. hence the categories of threads. you dont have to respond to a thread that is pointless, even if you hate that thread.

edit: people mostly get mad about stupid threads getting all these stars because they are pissed that people are paying attention to something they don't care for, thus making them angry that people dont feel the same as they do about these stupid threads. opinions are opinions, most of human disagreements come from people thinking in a way that you dont think so you feel you either need to change their mind or subdue to theirs. peoples would rather convince someone of their own opinion then fall into someone elses belief.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Myendica]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
BTw have the star option been taken away from this thread or only me? I am not seeing any stars.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

i think when you start a thread you get an option to allow stars or not allow stars. im not 100% sure but i do believe you have options of what is useable and not in a thread, to some extent.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Bad idea, people would just negative something they dont believe or agree with, without even discussing it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join