It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran 'arrests UK embassy staff'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Iran 'arrests UK embassy staff'

news.bbc.co.uk

Iran has detained eight local staff at the British embassy in Tehran on accusations of having a role in post-election riots, local reports said.

The embassy has not yet confirmed the report from the semi-official Fars news agency, which did not name its source.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
So far we have already had a tit for tat round of expulsions from both sides, but now it seems that Iran is intent on raising tensions even more with this latest bout of "arrests" whilst some of this is undoubtedly part of their ploy to make their supporter base believe that the UK and the US are behind the demonstrations it makes you wonder how the western countries will respond to this, will we just carry on with the expulsions ourselves or will the sounds of the drums of war be banging even louder?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Can you say "nothing burger"? Seriously, this development is just a minor detail on the world stage. Michael Jackson just died, in case you did not know..

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

whilst some of this is undoubtedly part of their ploy to make their supporter base believe that the UK and the US are behind the demonstrations

What makes you so certain that they aren't? It's not like we haven't done it before. All I know is that I don't trust anything when it comes to info about what is really going on in Iran.

I love your avatar by the way.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Michael Jackson just died, in case you did not know..

At least the children of the world can sleep a little easier at night now, whilst this man may have been good musically he offered little else to the world.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
What are they playing the retro-game from the Revolution when they took the US embassy personnel hostage for a year. This is garbage, and I think the UK and US should respond. If they entered the embassy complex; they are entering UK territory which is sovereign and constitutes an act of war.

The Iranians have no right to enter UK territory. What approach should be taken, I can't answer that? However, some kind of response is warranted before this turns into the nightmare President Carter had to deal with. Maybe the UK could go before the UN Security Council and ask for tougher sanctions? Doubt that will do any good but some kind of response is needed.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Michael Jackson just died, in case you did not know..

At least the children of the world can sleep a little easier at night now, whilst this man may have been good musically he offered little else to the world.

Pedophilia as a punchline--to insult a dead person--is in bad taste. I do not find anything about pedophilia amusing...but I guess i brought it on myself by mentioning MJ.

How many weeks left until nuclear fire? Any predictions?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
In theory, if true (which I doubt) it would be an act of War. The Iranian President believes he must bring about a bloody war in order for a Messiah to return.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
....some kind of response is needed.

Options:

1) Do nothing
2) UN Sanctions
3) Arrest Iranian Embassy staff in London and hold them hostage until Iran releases the Brits.
4) Get Israel to threaten to bomb Iran if they don't release them
5) Call Jimmy Carter to mediate?

6) Send Hillary to Iran so they can arrest her too. Hopefully she'll take Obama with her...
7) Britain get tired of Hannity too and just nuke the place.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by Jakes51
....some kind of response is needed.

Options:

1) Do nothing
2) UN Sanctions
3) Arrest Iranian Embassy staff in London and hold them hostage until Iran releases the Brits.
4) Get Israel to threaten to bomb Iran if they don't release them
5) Call Jimmy Carter to mediate?

6) Send Hillary to Iran so they can arrest her too. Hopefully she'll take Obama with her...
7) Britain get tired of Hannity too and just nuke the place.

Good post and it is always good to add a little levity to the conversation. To get serious again, their act constitutes an act of war because they violated UK territorial integrity. However, I don't think much will be done shy of intensifying sanctions on the Islamic Republic. Anyway, very funny!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

How are iran raising tensions when uk and usa are inciting a revolution, that the iranians did not let happen.

What would your country do?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Wehave gone over this a thousand times already on this forum, please get a grip on reality. There are people out there who actually want to be free from the yoke of radical Islam, Iran was a very progressive and open minded country before the Mullahs took power in 1979, many of them were educated in British and US colleges/universities. They want nothing to do with radical Islam ruling their lives.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

"All European countries have made clear that they want to stand together in standing up for the diplomatic principles that are important for our diplomatic activity all over the world," he said.

news.bbc.co.uk...

great, new war is coming...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If Iron Maggy was still in charge they would already have SAS knocking at Amadinglejerks door with a special message from the Crown!! Probably be hanging by his gonads wondering what in hell happened!!
Zindo

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I see nothing in the story that tells us just where the Brits were arrested, but I doubt that it would have happened in the embassy itself. There might well be a firefight in such a case.

Since it’s well known that the Western intelligence agencies installed the Shah back in the day, I tend to suspect that they’re at it again with the recent demonstrations. There is some evidence for such a supposition.

www.foreignpolicyjournal.com...

www.cnn.com...

www.atimes.com...

news.antiwar.com...

www.hirhome.com...

But if the arrest of a few diplomats leads to all out war, one must wonder what good diplomacy does.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

What are they playing the retro-game from the Revolution when they took the US embassy personnel hostage for a year. This is garbage, and I think the UK and US should respond. If they entered the embassy complex; they are entering UK territory which is sovereign and constitutes an act of war.

I think the US and UK already play that game what with kidnapping, holding and torturing anonymous and innocent Muslims from all parts of the world.

What is your point?

Don't you know that this is the ways of this world or do you assume it only happens to some?

I wonder what the US would do if a foreign power tried to instigate a revolt in the US during an election.

[edit on 093030p://am3020 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Its great to see some humour in topics that normally become heated/depressing.

Seems to me that Iran is now being portrayed as the "enemy of freedom" by the MSM with their coverage of the protesters and the way they are spinning the story. Couple that with Jackson's death being used as a distraction while controversial bills are being approved by house/senate.

All they want is POWER over people/land/thoughts/money.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Outstanding! This is some good news indeed. Of course the Brittish and U.S. Governments are tied up in the post election nonsense in Iran.

It sure hasn't been Iran that's been blocking their State News Agencies website IRNA since the 15th of June.

It sure wasn't the North Koreans that carried out operation Ajax, or kept the lawfully elected Prime Minister of Iran under house arrest from 1953 to the day he died in 1967 for daring to demand Iran recieve more than 20% of the oil profits for it's nation that the British had been keeping 80% of for themselves until he lead the charge for nationalization and the Americans then inserted the Shah and the SAVAK to give the Iranians a 40% limit with strict production quotas so the Shah and Iran would not get too rich.

I am glad the Iranians arrested the culprits at the British Embassy and I hope they show them just how waterboarding works and keep them indefinately detained on some Island in the Persian Gulf because they are too 'dangerous' to stand trial in Iran itself.

I hope some of these poor third world nations that don't have access to state of the art military technology find some real backbone and give the corporate arms dealers and oil barons and their henchmen something to think about and they lanquish in an Iranian jail for a very long time for their arrogance.

Maybe the next time an anglo is offered one of those jobs where they think it's just the way the world is to steal from nations, oppress, rape and murder their people as just a part of doing business, that there is another part of doing that kind of business...

It's called going to jail where all creeps, and despots and tyrants and theives (except of course for me) belong!

Go Iran!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
While what Iran did is typically frowned upon and undiplomatic, the arrests are technically not an attack on British territory because embassies do not have extraterritorial status. It might violate the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, but then one would have to consider if the arrested staff did in fact engage in illegal actions compromising Iran's national security. This is not a hostage situation - this is a legal situation dealing with perceived criminal actions of embassy staff within Iranian legal dominion.

So for those of you beating your chests and waiting for UK to respond militarily - you will be dissappointed. UK is powerless when it comes to events in Tehran, and all it can do is follow suit by expelling remaining Iranian embassy staff or even closing diplomatic relations - but I doubt it will go that far.

And regarding the alleged involvement of UK in inciting protests in Iran - who is to say that this is not true? Sure Iran has considerable domestic opposition, but one would be a fool to believe that US/UK are watching the events in Iran and doing absolutely nothing. And on what basis can Western powers challenge the results of the election in Iran? Did Iran challenge the results of the 2000 election in US?

Americans and Brits might have already forgoten some recent "revolutions" which clearly had their involvement - Ukraine and Georgia for starters - and amounted to being coups. Those "revolutions" made Russia, Middle East, and Asia quite nervous about foreign powers fueling riots in order to topple legitimate governments.

So the reputation of Western powers in meddling in elections and domestic affairs of other countries precedes them.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
If Iron Maggy was still in charge they would already have SAS knocking at Amadinglejerks door with a special message from the Crown!!

I would love to see SAS infiltrate into the middle of Tehran, heroically slaughtering through tens of thousands of Iranian military and paramilitary fighters who have the city under lock down, not to mention the President's numerous bodyguards. I could already see Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal rampaging through Tehran with an M60 in each arm, walking over dead bodies piled 4 feet high. And of course at the end all the hostages would be safely rescued, and for the finally Chuck Norris would perform a fatal head butt on Ahmadinejad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join