It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nine ex-Nazis given life sentences

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Nine ex-Nazis given life sentences

www.news.com.au

NINE ex-SS soldiers aged 84 to 90 have been sentenced to life imprisonment in their absence by a Rome military tribunal for the massacres of 350 civilians in Tuscany in 1944.

Eleven former Nazis were tried for the massacres, but one of them, Max Roithmeier, a former sergeant in the SS, died during the trial and a second, Walter Waage, was acquitted by the court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I've posted similar stories to this in the past. Each time I wonder how people can lack common sense?

I guess that old Max managed to outsmart them... dying during the trial was a great way to avoid being locked up for life. Why didn't they do enough to stop his death before the trial was over?

As for the other nine, we better hurry up and find them and lock them up, before they die!!!

"The sentence finally does justice to those who suffered directly the atrocities of Nazism," Claudio Martini, regional president of Tuscany, said.

"Even if 65 years have passed, we should not forget what happened."

I question this comment.

Does it really do justice to those who suffered? Considering that most of those still alive today, were around 15 years or younger when it happened, would they really be cheerleading these court cases?

To me, it's nothing more than some purist vision to try and convince us all that the legal/justice system 'works'.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
i think it does a small degree of justice but it still bothers me that those men got to live their whole lives. at least in the end they get identified for who they really are...

i wonder if theyre going to get special protection in jail or get put in with the general population

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
Does it really do justice to those who suffered? Considering that most of those still alive today, were around 15 years or younger when it happened, would they really be cheerleading these court cases?

To me, it's nothing more than some purist vision to try and convince us all that the legal/justice system 'works'.

Good point. I think a public hanging is more called for in this situation or maybe a Zyclon-B cocktail, hey guys, its only a shower, I promise.

Here is a thread on the psychology of these guys that I wrote about...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Not to take this too off topic.. But I think it's Ironic. People always think Nazi's were the most evil people in the world, and that justice could never be done. So, these old men are put on trial.. And for what? Something they did 60 years ago?

Why don't we put U.S. Soldiers (and any other accountables ) on trial for the civilians that they've killed in recent wars?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by tezzajw

Not to take this too off topic.. But I think it's Ironic. People always think Nazi's were the most evil people in the world, and that justice could never be done. So, these old men are put on trial.. And for what? Something they did 60 years ago?

Why don't we put U.S. Soldiers (and any other accountables ) on trial for the civilians that they've killed in recent wars?

Because the winner always writes the history books, It doesn't matter what atrocity's the winning side commit's because they won. Im not saying that these kid's (since that's what they were when they were nazi's) are deserving of luxury, but in reality american troops were just as bad as they were, we had our own concentration camps after all, the only difference is we called them internment camp's.

Short answer is the winner writes the books lol

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Comparing what US soldiers have done vs. the reign on the Nazis is a complete joke.

Mass murder is not the business of the US. Sorry!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

Well.. I have to call B.S. On that one. NO we didn't commit mass murder but...

A Nazi kills a civilian and it's a war crime.

A soldier "accidentally" kills an Iraqi and we call it a casualty.

But in both cases, soldiers killed innocent people.

Still want to continue that logic?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High

So it's different because they only murder thousands instead of millions?

Australia has paid blood money to the families of innocent Iraqi civillians who were shot by Aussie Troops. Yep, murder.

Every few weeks we read how more US airstrikes kill X many civillians while targetting an Al-CIAda or Taliban official.

US forces are mass murdering innocent civillians.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

That sentiment is the exact reason why I refused to continue serving in the army... We are not above any law, one person dead is one to many, and it's about #ing time we realized that. What we have done deserves war crime tribunals imho and I will say that I saw some stuff that should never have happened...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

So it's different because they only murder thousands instead of millions?

Australia has paid blood money to the families of innocent civillians who were shot by Aussie Troops. Yep, murder.

Every few weeks we read how more US airstrikes kill X many civillians while targetting an Al-CIAda or Taliban official.

US forces are mass murdering innocent civillians.

Miraj and tezzajw,

Do you really want to compare the world domineering fascism and murdering of Hitler's 3rd Reich with the US. The Holocaust really??

If you want to compare US abuses why not make a more applicable comparison with the US takeover of the Phillipines at the end of the 1800's/early 1900's.

Hitler was insane and slaughtered millions. He slaugtered elderly, mentally handicap, jewish, gypsies, communists, spys on purpose. He built camps to kill them and burn there bodies.

He had Reserve Battalion 101 march women and children into the woods and put a bullet in the base of their skulls right below the hairline. Sometimes the skull would blast back on to the soldiers face and that would have to take a break and a few shots of vodka before they were ready to commit more attrocities.

Your comments are a joke, more of the blame America first crap that I am trueley sick of.

All I am saying is that it is a sick comparison.

Is the US perfect? No. Was the Iraq war run perfect? No way in hell.

But the historical facts are clear and comparing the US with the atrocities in Nazis Germany are baseless.

Call B/S all you want, it won't change the facts.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

That sentiment is the exact reason why I refused to continue serving in the army... We are not above any law, one person dead is one to many, and it's about #ing time we realized that. What we have done deserves war crime tribunals imho and I will say that I saw some stuff that should never have happened...

What sentiment? I am not defending anything in Iraq, just saying the the SS in Nazi Germany deserve to be punished?

I don't get it, what am I saying that bothers everyone? Has everyone forgotten the horrors on the Nazis?

Really what sentiment? I have always been against torture or killing of civilians.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Miraj and tezzajw,
Do you really want to compare the world domineering fascism and murdering of Hitler's 3rd Reich with the US. The Holocaust really??

No. US forces are not building camps for hundreds of thousands of people to be lead to the slaughter.

But, US forces have killed innocent civillians, women and children. US forces have used torture against innocent civillians. US forces have illegally detained innocent civillans and mistreated prisoners in degrading conditions.

US forces have committed war crimes. Will the guilty members of the US forces face the same stigma as the Nazi SS officers in 65 years time?

Unless you think that some war crimes are ok, while other war crimes should be pursued until the end of time?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I think you entirely missed the point

The point was, a dead innocent, is a dead innocent. Nomatter who killed them should be guilty of a crime. So why is it that the Nazis get special treatment against them, when a grunt can commit a equal crime.. and people just say "He's just doing his job"

Once again, before you take up the argument... I am NOT comparing America to Nazi Germany. I am comparing the treatment of ex-Nazis to people in modern day who commit COMPARABLE crimes.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Saying "Mass Murder is not the business of the US" I will say that I do agree with a lot of what you said about jumping to defend other country's by saying "we did such and such" but at the same time we are also most definitely not above mass murder. Personally I wouldn't put america anywhere near the same level as the nazi reich however we still aren't all cupcakes and daisy's we really are one of the more... violent country's out there in how we operate.

When I say that sentiment I'm referring to the "we can do no wrong" thought that I was subjected too for so long... that said if that's not what you meant I apologize I do tend to go at people's throats over what I saw pretty fast.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Miraj and tezzajw,

No. US forces are not building camps for hundreds of thousands of people to be lead to the slaughter.

But, US forces have killed innocent civillians, women and children. US forces have used torture against innocent civillians. US forces have illegally detained innocent civillans and mistreated prisoners in degrading conditions.

US forces have committed war crimes. Will the guilty members of the US forces face the same stigma as the Nazi SS officers in 65 years time?

Unless you think that some war crimes are ok, while other war crimes should be pursued until the end of time?

And that is horrible. I agree. The death of innocents is disgusting.

While I think most of the troops had the best interest of the Iraqis at heart. It is possible that some of the politicians did not.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

I think you entirely missed the point

The point was, a dead innocent, is a dead innocent. Nomatter who killed them should be guilty of a crime. So why is it that the Nazis get special treatment against them, when a grunt can commit a equal crime.. and people just say "He's just doing his job"

Once again, before you take up the argument... I am NOT comparing America to Nazi Germany. I am comparing the treatment of ex-Nazis to people in modern day who commit COMPARABLE crimes.

I certainly hope anyone who is proven to have committed crimes against innocents is punished to the full letter of the law.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Wow..

I guess there's no statute of limitations when it comes to war crimes.

Should we start indicting everbody involved with the Manhattan Project since we dropped A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WWII? If anything can be considered a war crime, couldn't this?

What I'm saying.. This doesn't make any sense.

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
lol well if there debating on killing them, while thier dieing, dosen't it just seem like a waste of time?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Life sentence? So what's that? Like, a year or two?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join