It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please explain this to me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If someone were to build a time machine, whether it be tomorrow or 10,000 years from now. How can you travel into the future if the future hasn't happened yet?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The future of the universe already exists. The future of the observer does not. Everything that we can imagine the future is, it is. But by the time we get there we'll be able to imagine more.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanLA123

Yeah time traveling can't be done ever. Not now or ever in the future?

As you say there is no future to travel to because it hasn't happened yet.

You can figure that out by studying changes in matter and energy.

You can also figure it out by looking at how everything needs time to reproduce.

Existence of life is not like a movie where you can wind forward to a different time?
Well if existence is like a movie we don't have the power to wind the movie back and forth.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm not sure how to answer this, but it is interesting none the less.

What confuses me is when I hear, "One day, we will be sent information from the future, they will send it to the past to us.", but that means the future HAS happened for the people who sent us the information. But say we was to send information back to humans in the past, who would be the future people, us, or the people who sent us the information? Because this is so confusing, I will end with, I hope one day it is possible, but right now it seems too complicated. If anything, bending space and time seems like the most realistic way to do it.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCharisma

What confuses me is when I hear, "One day, we will be sent information from the future, they will send it to the past to us.", but that means the future HAS happened for the people who sent us the information. But say we was to send information back to humans in the past, who would be the future people, us, or the people who sent us the information? Because this is so confusing, I will end with, I hope one day it is possible, but right now it seems too complicated. If anything, bending space and time seems like the most realistic way to do it.

If some one where to send a message to us from the future?

If this is to be possible the message would have to be able to go through X amount of dimensions (changes) and still be able to deliver the message in the energy form for the space time dimension it is meant for.

That would mean that what ever the message is made up of would have to be very very intelligent and powerful.

I can prove it quite simply that a dimension of energy or matter can't travel back in time. With a simple mathematical equation.

-5 + 9 = +4

+4 can never become the old equation again. Because +4 don't = -5 + 9 any more.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Time is a function of mass.

No mass, no time.

Everything that was, is, and will be - is.

Everything but you.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by dooper]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

Originally posted by CaptainCharisma

If some one where to send a message to us from the future?

If this is to be possible the message would have to be able to go through X amount of dimensions (changes) and still be able to deliver the message in the energy form for the space time dimension it is meant for.

That would mean that what ever the message is made up of would have to be very very intelligent and powerful.

I can prove it quite simply that a dimension of energy or matter can't travel back in time. With a simple mathematical equation.

-5 + 9 = +4

+4 can never become the old equation again. Because +4 don't = -5 + 9 any more.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

Cheers for clearing it up for me. Makes me doubt we can do it even more now.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It seems to me, and I am not a scientist and don't claim to be. Time was invented by man to record the cycles of the earth whether it be 24 hours for a rotation or 365 days for an orbit around the sun. In my opinion how can you actually grasp and hold on to time? It seems like in order to time travel you would have to manipulate the entire solar system if not the universe for that matter, because time is not a physical object, its just there. I hear Michio Kaku who I really like and respect say astronaunts time travel when they go up into space and then return because they were moving so much faster than the rest of us. But when they returned nothing has changed, everything is the same, no matter if it is by a matter of seconds.

Einstein has given his two rocket ship theory. But, say we have the technology to travel that fast and back on earth time has passed years and years on earth then the pilot of the rocket ship, what if the pilot of the rocket ship also had the technology to communicate with earth while travelling through space at that speed and found out that he was still talking to home base in real time and nothing has changed?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanLA123

The astronauts do not travel in time, time passes more slowly to them, just that.

It's not the same thing.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Seeing as nobody has any solid answer to this question, I give you this:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I don't think anyone truly knows the answer to your question, OP, but I will tell you my thoughts, worth no more than anyone else's.

I think "a" future does not exist, but multiple, infinite futures. If a real time machine were created, one might go to a myriad of possible futures, and should they happen to touch down and stay in one of those possible futures, they might find themselves warped into the fabric of time, if that future were changed by events in their past, our present.

Likewise, I think it's possible that not only is the future not static, but possibly even the past. Now, how can that be........ we all know what happened in the past! But do we really? What if the past is just our current nexus of measurement, up to including the present? What if the past were changed, wouldn't those changes possibly ripple forward?

Soooooooo, should you wake up one morning with an elbow growing out of your forehead, you'll likely suspect that somebody in the future went too far back and blew it big time. Of course, you might not realize the difference, since thousands of generations of humans with elbows growing out of their foreheads would have been instantly spawned, and radiating forward from that point, at least on our timescape.

Most of that encompasses the reason that I hope time travel is never invented. We humans screw up virtually everthing we've ever experimented with. We get lucky from time to time, and manage to correct our errors without vaporizing a significant portion of the Earth or ourselves. Can you imagine? Who would be sentient enough to know how to use it, without absolutely screwing everything up?

Maybe it's already happened. Maybe I was once a furry purple creature with eleven whip-like arms. I like purple.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It is very easy to build a time machine into the future and you dont even need to learn anything about temporal physics. All you need to do is to build yourself a cryogenic chamber and place yourself in it for the next 10 000 years. If you survive the thaw out with future medicine techniques that may exist at that time, you will have travelled into the future.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanLA123
If someone were to build a time machine, whether it be tomorrow or 10,000 years from now. How can you travel into the future if the future hasn't happened yet?

The future is played out as you travel through time. You just don't experience time at the same speed as everyone else when you travel this way. This has actually been proven to a degree. Einstein came up with a thought experiement where one twin takes a rocket ship at a near speed light journey for a year, and because of the properties of speed,time, and mass, when he returns 100 years have passed on earth. His twin is much older than he is now.

Essentially, the universe itself is a time machine. We can also exploit it's behavior by traveling near the speed of light. In order to travel 10,000 years into the future, we would travel at 299,792,450 m/s (speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s) for approximately 51.8 seconds. This would bring us about 10.5% of the distance to the sun. Of course the energy required to do that would be remarkable, but that's beside the point. As we traveled into the future like this, the rest of the universe would be going on with its normal business and so would we - but in comparison we'd be (our time, that is) be moving at a snails pace compared to objects not traveling at our same speed.

It's because the universe is deterministic and is causal in nature. Every effect has a cause and every cause also has a cause. It can be traced back to the big bang, from which all of reality was built. Since the universe is a chain of deterministic events being played out in synchronization/relation with time, its merely a matter of moving moving faster through, or around time than everyone else is to reach the point of causality which you desire to be.

If you've seen or read "The Watchmen" then you know that Dr. Manhattan has the ability to see future events unfold based on the past - only he can see very far into the future, perhaps until the end of time because he experiences the quantum universe.

We as humans can do the same thing, but only in the very, very, short term. For example, if we drop something, we have enough perception of time to know that the future of that object will be on the floor.

It's pretty solidly understood that the universe is relativistic, and so is time. Time moves slowly near more massive objects compared to less massive ones. It's easy to think about if you consider this:

1) Time is slowed down very much near a black whole, compared to intergalactic space.

2) Time is sped up very much in intergalactic space, compared to near a black hole.

... and because mass, time, and speed are all interrelated on some level we also see that the nearer the speed of light you go, the more massive you get and you modify how time acts upon you.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
time in the future is the time of probability things could happen dependent upon the observers choices and the actions of others. . . . depending on which quantum theory you subscribe to there may not be a future to travel to yet or there may be many probable futures all accesible in some way. . . . but according to general relativity (which is starting to show some of its weaknesses) all space exsists now so in turn all of time also exsists right now. . .

its really not a question that we can answer with the level of physics we have today

sorry mate

CW

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
ok not sure if this will help or not but I will make it simple. .......if you where to leave your friend (same age) from earth at age 20 in a space ship traveling close to the speed of light your "time" would tick slower compared to the people still on earth. now if you returned to earth say 60 years later, you would be 80 years old right, but then your friend could be like 300 years old. time is relative

let me know if that helps at all

new topics

top topics

join