It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane forming off Alaska coast?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
OHHH EMMM GEEE! i live like right next to that thing. help please?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
we actually get hurricane force winds here from time to time, however they don't count as hurricanes, because... well.... Alaska's just tough like that lol.

i really doubt there could be enough warm water (there's none lol) to charge that swirl into anything more powerful then it already is.

but we have been having a lot of recent volcano and seismic activity, i live on the other side of a body of water (10miles wide) from a volcano that has been erupting since march, the first few eruptions were pretty intense, but since then its calmed down, and its now just releasing little poofs of steam and ash (24/7)

well that's my two cents.

[edit on 6/27/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
OHHH EMMM GEEE! i live like right next to that thing. help please?

Sure, I'll send help as soon as you send some of those BC big bu... nnies!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Pretty simple. If it gets above 74 mph or whatever, then it will be a hurricane. Otherwise, no hurricane just a low pressure system. There has never been a hurricane that has hit Alaska to my knowledge.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
From living in NC all my life I know Noreasters can be as bad as hurricanes. That is really weird for that area right??

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
It would be very interesting indeed if this does turn out to be a hurricane. To my knowledge, they just don't happen there. If this is a hurricane, then this will be a boost to those global warming fanatics.

What a great way to justify the recent green legislation huh?

[edit on 6/27/2009 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
!!! A very low pressure system is what turns into hurricanes...

As long as the water and air are warm enough to support one.
Low pressures can also turn into snow storms or even nothing at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromtheheart66
From living in NC all my life I know Noreasters can be as bad as hurricanes. That is really weird for that area right??

Yeah, but this is a Norwester ... I'm in the North East, trying to contact my friends who've migrated to BC...

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

Hurricanes need four conditions to form:

* low air pressure

* warm temperatures

* moist ocean air

* tropical winds (near the equator).

Hurricanes form in the tropics, over warm ocean water (over 80ºF or 27ºC) and at latitudes between 8° and 20°.

They form mostly from June through November, or during the hurricane season. These powerful storms are fuelled by the heat energy that is released when water vapour condenses and turns into liquid water or rain).

A hurricane goes through many stages as it develops:

1. It starts as a tropical wave, a westward-moving area of low air pressure.

2. As the warm, moist air over the ocean rises in the low air pressure area, cold air from above replaces it. This produces strong gusty winds, heavy rain and thunderclouds that is called a tropical disturbance.

3. As the air pressure drops and there are sustained winds up to 38 miles per hour, it is called a tropical depression.

4. When the cyclonic winds have sustained speeds from 39 to 73 miles per hour, it is called a tropical storm (storms are given names when they begin to have winds of this speed).

5. The storm becomes a hurricane when there are sustained winds of over 73 miles per hour.

As for the end of a storm, when a hurricane travels over land or cold water, its energy source (warm water) is gone and the storm weakens, quickly dying.

If that Low were in the gulf of Mexico there would be all kinds of warnings going out right now... but being AK that's just another cold windy day up there

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Can you say HAARP Fail?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I am going to go on record here and say that this storm was not only created by HAARP but created by HAARP to reach sustained winds of over 200 miles an hour and was going to be steered down to San Francisco to totally destroy the city!

Of course none of this will happen now, that someone has said it was purposefully going to happen.

It would look to shady!

The fact that it won't happen is proof positive that I am right and would have happened!

See it is possible to craft a skeptic proof theory on ATS!

Now the skeptics will have to say it will happen to prove me wrong!

Hence forth I would like to be known as Protoplasmic Traveler saviour of San Francisco I really do think some keys to the city and some unlimited comps at the bars, nightclubs and restaurants are in order here?

Can I get a second on that motion please?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I dont know about you guys but from I sit I am seeing changes in the weather lately all over the Matrix. And the words and phrases that all weathermen&weatherwomen are using are almost alarming such as "record breaking" "never before seen" "unusual" "abnormal" "unbelievable" "never in recorded history" has caught my ear frequently in the several weeks. Cloud formations being seen that look almost demonic yet beautiful are appearing everywhere. I am in SD saw one 2 evenings ago right before dusk. Tried to take a cell pic but the sun was also out and shining my way so the pic doesnt capture what my eyes say. Keep your curtains open and take notice from time to time. Lots of strangeness happening above us. If this does turn out to be a hurricane what kind of scientific explanation will they use since almost all of and them are now "debunking" global warming. I am gonna go ahead and say some of you will say its the Chinese playing with their weathergun. Open you eyes for once and admit not everythings manmade.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Nothing yet S.E coast of AK. There's a wind advisory for tonight 40-50 mph winds. This isn't at all uncommon but what intrigues me is the perfect eye this thing had in some satellite images.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by The Undertaker]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I don't know if this is related or not but I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I was surfing the net and my tv was on and there was program interruption to announce a severe thunderstorm @ 1710, which is pretty rare up here. It's location right now is about 50 miles north of my location.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromtheheart66

According to this, not weird at all. And, hey, I'm in NC too.

www.climate.washington.edu...

The Storm King

Some Historical Weather Events in the Pacific Northwest
These systems can match a Category 3 hurricane in both minimum central pressures and sustained wind speeds. Such storms have a reach far beyond that of a typical hurricane: they can throw a cold rain into the Alaska Panhandle while at the same time pummel the San Francisco Bay Area with a warm, saturated gale. These tempests are killers, and can cause damage into the hundreds of millions, even billions. The focus of these web pages is on extratropical cyclones; though, as weather and climate contain varied and diverse phenomena, other types of events are also examined.

Lots of information and storm data on midlatitude cyclones

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yeah, I take all of these China weathergun and HAARP weather modification theories with a grain of salt. No offense. I mean, I understand that shooting concentrated beams of energy at the ionosphere may result in some ... unexpected phenomena, but let's not jump the gun here..

I think it's much more likely that the recent solar activity is the true culprit. HAARP doesn't put out nearly as much sustained energy as the sun, and just checking right now - Solar wind speed is still hovering around 400 km/s with density of 10 p/cc for three days , which is much higher than the ... last few months, where solar wind speed was *post eaten* avg of

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by brokenheadphonez

Correct me if I am wrong but didnt someone post a thread concerning changes in the sun in the last few days. I am totally unorganized since I am right handed(according to another thread) and can never verify anything or remember who said what about where and when it will or will not happen....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It is moving south at a good rate still being feed by that invest... I would bet 5 bucks that the storm/ depression will intensify into washington state before heading out to sea...

Any takers?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'd say it'd go East, if anywhere and dissipate over the prairies with lightning and hail, but I'm really not a betting man!

As for the solar threads, yet I have created two with a lot of data:

New solar activity!

Is the sun causing recent abnormal weather on Earth?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join