It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: N. Korea Puts Long-Range Missile on the Market

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well, here we go again with another round of brinksmanship on the part of Kim Jong Il. Soon he'll follow Pakistan's suit and start selling the 'build a nuke in your garage kit.'

N. Korea puts long-range missile on the market

LONDON � North Korea has begun offering its Taepo Dong-2 long-range missile for sale to several nations in the Middle East.

Western intelligence sources said the most likely client to purchase the Taepong-2 is Iran. The sources said Teheran has been negotiating with Pyongyang for the purchase of the Taepo Dong-2 for Iran's first intercontinental ballistic missile as well as a space launcher.

On Tuesday, the South Korean daily Chosun Ilbo reported that North Korea was constructing two underground bases for the Taepo Dong-2. Quoting a South Korean intelligence official, the newspaper said Pyongyang has completed 80 percent of the work on the bases in a development that signaled the imminent deployment of the Taepo Dong-2.

Color me completely unsurprised at this one. We really need China to put Kim Jong Il in his place since our diplomatic stock is at an all time low as a result of the whole U.N./Iraq issue.

Though I'd hate to see harm befall the innocent N. Koreans, part of me wishes he'd loose one of his nukes at us (to have it fail and fall into the Pacific) so we can send a message to nuclear proliferating nations through Korea. Who knows, maybe we'll hack his launch system and launch one for him?

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Valhall]

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
NK is probably the greatest threat to world peace as a result of its sales to mideast countries. It really is time for China to clamp down on Kim. Kim listens to no other country but China. Perhaps that's because he knows they can be more brutal than he is.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
NK is probably the greatest threat to world peace as a result of its sales to mideast countries. It really is time for China to clamp down on Kim. Kim listens to no other country but China. Perhaps that's because he knows they can be more brutal than he is.

I wholeheartedly agree. The irony here is that we (the US) are so busy with what is occuring in Iraq (Wag the Dog???) that we forget there is quite a formidable enemy in Korea, who openly has the WMD's that we 'are in' Iraq for. I do wonder, however, if China is actually behind Korea. I understand they have weaponry, but they certainly parlay like they have more than that. Just a thought....

MTZ

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
In the event of a possible nuclear war, or even a major (well more major than is described now) nuclear standoff with a another country, the strategic value of Iraqi and other mid-eastern countires will sky rocket. Maybe all this " i wish we didn't go into Iraqi" will subside when we are in a another world war.

This being ment by cutting off other "enemy" countries oil supplies from the source and having an abundance for the U.S. which in the past has made a major impact upon the success rate of a country during war time.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The goverment should let us americans buy them so we can put them in our back yards.
Atleast they are here, instead of over there.

Anyway..... Whats messed up is, The world know this is going on and they turn thier head. Bush gets some hear-say for the CIA and he invades Iraq.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well, if there is a "nuclear war" with NK, this is how I think it'll go.

NK -- One malfunction in the Pacific.

Japan -- Relieved -- Flew over head.

SK -- Cool -- They aimed east.

China -- Target Practice - Koy in a barrel!

Fallout -- Oh $n!T, We all live here!

Lord! Please Help Us!

[Edited on 5/5/2004 by CommonSense]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MTZ
In the event of a possible nuclear war, or even a major (well more major than is described now) nuclear standoff with a another country, the strategic value of Iraqi ...

Agreed, MTZ. The use of Iraq as a base is certainly more logical than the plethora of other 'reasons' that have been given for going there. My "Wag the Dog" statement wasn't meant as a 'we need to get out of Iraq', more as a 'you really don't know why we're in Iraq'
I certainly hope I'm wrong about China tho...but the way it has been playing out since prior to 9/11....it's hard not to look 'to the east'.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

The US is the biggest threat to wold peace. END!

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Corinthas,
Any one with any knowledge of Kim Jong Il would agree that nuclear weapons under his control are the greatest threat to peace. Further, when he starts selling those same weapons to other unstable countries he's just making the threat worse.

Typically discussions on this board deal with fact and analysis. Sure we have some fun. But statements like "The US is the biggest threat to wold peace. END!" don't add much to the conversation.

top topics

join