It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Windows Installing Updates Without Permission?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Reports are coming in that Windows XP and Vista are, in some cases, installing updates at system shut down on systems where they are configured to ask for permission first!

The forced-install behavior has been witnessed at least three times by Windows Secrets editors, but Microsoft says its procedure for Automatic Updates hasn't changed in the last 10 months.

The behavior seems to occur only if a Windows user has Automatic Updates configured to "download updates but don't install them" or "notify me but don't install them." If updates are scheduled to occur automatically, with no notice to users, the silent installation of updates would be expected.

windowssecrets.com...

? Has anyone noticed this happening on thier system with Windows?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
With just about every windows machine I've owned, it always seems to wait til I turn it off to update.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Cultist

Yes that I notice also. This is different...I was looking for this as I am having the same problem. I was dumfounded when my pc started installing an update, I have it set to ask me first. I even checked on the settings, and they have not changed. Windows just over rode its own settings! I am really bothered by this.

Makes me wonder what else is going on...they are probably downloading everything off of my harddrive!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago I think.

I usually leave the computer on and have a firewall blocking all internet traffic when I'm not there so it usually can't update without me knowing plus auto is turned off.

If something tries to update my firewall will stop it and let me know and I just block it until I decide I want the update.

One night I forgot to block all traffic and my computer mysteriously restarts and auto updates. I was able to stop it from happening after the restart but couldn't find anything in the firewall so I assumed it was a possible hack attempt bypassing the firewall even then it would still leave IP tracks so to speak which it didn't.

So I've been assuming it may be some type of internal windows bug trying to update for example to say 3.1111 but it is already updated to 3.1111. Would explain my situation anyway.

Edit: Another possibility that kind of piggy backs on this one is the auto update is downloaded and stored and then the update initiates. For some reason the registry or some other program isn't updated saying "Ya he updated to this already" the update file doesn't get deleted after installing and the computer at a preselected time just checks to see if any updates are queried and says "Oh here's an update lets install it" so it starts to re-install an update you already had because the stupid thing didn't modify the registry the first time it updated or didn't take it out of a query might be another reason.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I have my computer set to NOT install or download updates.

Microsoft usually puts all of their updates on the first Tuesday of the month.
(unless it is a very critical one)

I check them Wed or Thurs and go from there.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have mine set to download but not install. Windows installed them anyways. I was looking on line, and found this.

The forced-install behavior, in which Windows applies updates at shutdown time without requesting approval

So Microsoft is just overrididing my settings and doing what they wish. This caused a major problem on my pc.

This is weird...beyond weird. It is sinister. Why do they do this?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Miocrosoft has done this in the past...I remember the same kind of thing happening last year.

Like it or not, you will get the update!

windowssecrets.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think I read somewhere about future versions of Windows that have mechanisms which will, if I recall correctly, disable the OS if you don't update or something. I don't remember exactly, but it was something very similar to this. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
I have mine set to download but not install. Windows installed them anyways. I was looking on line, and found this.

The forced-install behavior, in which Windows applies updates at shutdown time without requesting approval

So Microsoft is just overrididing my settings and doing what they wish. This caused a major problem on my pc.

This is weird...beyond weird. It is sinister. Why do they do this?

Ah this explains why. When you set it up to download but not install the update it auto installs on restarts sometimes. You need to turn off the option to check for updates. That way you have to go to Microsoft or tell windows to check for updates. This is the recommended setting in my book because not all updates are bug free and once in a blue moon will really mess up the system.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke
I think I read somewhere about future versions of Windows that have mechanisms which will, if I recall correctly, disable the OS if you don't update or something. I don't remember exactly, but it was something very similar to this. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I've never actually heard of this but I wouldn't be surprised it's a good way to keep pirated copies of OS's down to a minimum. But that being said there will always be a program somewhere to bypass things like this.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

Yes I will change my settings, just hate seeing the red x always.
Crickets!

But if this is one of those things like last year, even changing the settings wll not stop it. Last time this happened, microsoft installed anyways, I had it set not to download.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I stopped having the updates installed when they started screwing up my computer. Now they install and screw up my computer whether I like it or not.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I just have mine auto-update. If Microsoft does something bad, then I'll just stop using them completely and go to Linux. I generally don't worry about it, because I know so many people hate Microsoft, if they do something even remotely questionable, it's blasted all over the internet.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The NWO uses Microsoft as a means of weeding out the 'black sheep'. The forced download is probably some undetectable spyware.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Yes I will change my settings, just hate seeing the red x always.
Crickets!

But if this is one of those things like last year, even changing the settings wll not stop it. Last time this happened, microsoft installed anyways, I had it set not to download.

I know that stupid red shield x I have tried everything to make it at least invisible and I have found nothing yet not to mention the nagging bubble that pops up every time saying "auto updates is turned off"

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
We all sacrifice security for the sake of convenience.
How many people you know will give up their internet?
You live by the internet, you'll die by the internet.

If anyone witnesses this please find out what service/process is running when it does the update.
Could be as simple as renaming the executable from having it auto launch.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Oh yes and I hate the bubble too! I hate the x and the bubble!
I am going to look into a mac. This bugs me to no end!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

The truth is, if they really want to monitor what you do, they will just snoop your connection and things like that. Then they will see all outgoing and incoming things on your internet.

There is a big difference between "script kiddies", which is what most "security" features will protect you from, and the "big boys".

Any sense of security in the manner being spoken of here is most likely a false sense.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
From last years investigation...

To view your Windows Update options in Windows XP, press the Windows key plus R to open the Run box, type control wuaucpl.cpl, and press Enter. In Vista, press the Windows key, type windows update, press Enter, and select Change settings on the left.

According to the aforementioned blog post, the Microsoft Update Product Team considers Windows Update to be turned on when any setting is selected except the last one:

• Turn off Automatic Updates (in XP)
• Never check for updates (in Vista)
windowssecrets.com...

Maybe if I do this...then I can stop at least the bubble.

To shut off notifications about a particular update in Windows XP, take these steps:

• Step 1. Click the Windows Update icon in the taskbar tray to open the Automatic Updates control panel.

• Step 2. Select Custom Install (Advanced) and click Next.

• Step 3. Uncheck the items you don't want to install. Make a note of their Knowledge Base numbers in case you change your mind later. Then click Install (to install remaining items) or Close (if no items are checked).

• Step 4. When the Hide Updates prompt appears, check Don't notify me about these updates again and click OK.

• Step 5. If you later change your mind and want to install the items, surf on over to Microsoft's Download Center, enter the update's KB number in the Search box, and click Go. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update.

To shut off notifications about a particular update in Windows Vista, take these steps:

• Step 1. Click the Windows Update icon in the taskbar tray to open the Windows Update control panel.

• Step 2. Choose View available updates below the Install Updates button.

• Step 3. Find the update you don't want installed and uncheck its box.

• Step 4. Right-click the update name and choose Hide update.

• Step 5. Click the close box in the upper-right corner to close the window.

• Step 6. To see this and other hidden updates in the future, reopen the Windows Update control panel and click Restore hidden updates in the left pane.

Warning do not try this at home, I can not help you...

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

The big boys didn't become big boys overnight.
The answer is plain and simple, stop buying Microsoft.
I know it's easier said than done becasue once again, it's all about convenience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with what MS is doing but hey if people can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Alxandro]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join