It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mixed Iraqi Reaction to Bush "Apology"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
An apology from Bush will make no difference at all to these people. Do you think al Sadr will say, "OK, now let's take this as an opportunity to sit down and resolve our differences"? No. He will use it as a rallying point for his followers to commit more violence.

The best thing that Bush could have done was to promise swift justice for those involved. And then follow through.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
A mixed reaction to the apology is better than a united reaction to not receiving one.

It was just a too little too late though.

You see,Bush is not a Statesman and when something like those photographs come out you really need just a little bit of statesmanlike behaviour.

As for Seekerof's cartoon contribution.If American's want to just be as good as arab regimes then they set themselves lows targets.Those on the moral high ground just unambiguously apologise for for their mistakes,they don't point the finger at others hoping for a fair comparison."Hey,we're better than Saddam because we've tortured less in one year than he would of." Won't win me over as a persuasive argument for occupation.

The cartoons point if you look and think about it is that arabs are being hypocritical for complaining about it.As though the arab people as a whole have no right to complain about any human rights atrocity ever in the future.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Its very hypocritical, John Bull, because the Arabs cheer and party when atrocities were committed against Americans, but only outraged when its against other Arabs (who normally, they would be doing the same thing.).

And this crap about being tortured in a way "acceptable to islam".

WHAT UTTER CRAP!

I have seen what these people do to thier own. Sexual torture and homosexuality they engage in FREQUENTLY.

Utter crap, thier outrage, really.

When I first heard about this new wave of war crimes, i was very upset with the bahavior of the soldiers, but the more I am hearing about this, the less I am feeling sorry for the victims.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Its simple, if an army of people are trying to break into your house and kill you and steal all your stuff and rape your women(wife and daughters).
This is what you do.

You catch one ,cut off his head and hang it by your front door. This shows the invaders you mean business and are not afraid to teach them a lesson. If they keep coming you do the same to each and every one of them.

Ashley, you hypocrite that embraces murderers of mothers and fathers while spitting at the nation that gives you the right to say stupid things, we are taking the head off the invader and thrusting it upon a pike. The thing you seem not to understand is the invader is not just a sovereign nation attacking us, but many nations hiding behind groups of terrorists they sponsor.
You little sniveler, I just finished watching a documentary on Bn 1, FDNY on 9/11. I just finished listening to the sickening #ing sounds of desparate people slamming to the #ing ground because it was a preferable way to die than staying in the Hell the Trade Centers had become. I just sat in a #ing chair, clenching my jaws so hard that I think I cracked a tooth. I just got through doing what the liberal media does not want us to do, seeing again what the liberal hipocrites do not want to see, because they want us to buy the line of garbage you seem to have swallowed. Well, guess what? I'm not ignorant, nor am I weak-minded or easily influenced, and what happened to us on 9/11 was no surprise to me, only the means by which the blow was dealt. The ones responsible are no secret, and you should know that.

Remember while you cry over their woes, which are nothing compared to what they were, we were attacked.
And while you sit there and contemplate that, remember that the sorry pieces of crap that kill our people now hate us because we represent freedom to the people, the same people they want to re-enslave.

In other words, quit believing that liberal media BS and look at the whole picture, reagain your sense and remember we are the good guys!

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but between getting a belly full of self-loathing scumbags who hate this nation but can't seem to part with the milk and honey that is provided, and the documentary that rekindled the emotions and memories of what the country went through not too long ago, I am not feeling my usually diplomatic self tonight!

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wel said TC!

I have only been a member of this site for a couple of weeks and have of course seen many fine posts, even if I didn't agree with what was said.

However, the posts by Ashley on this thread.......

I don't even know what to say...... Maybe an old stand by: Shame on you Ashley.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
Wel said TC!

I have only been a member of this site for a couple of weeks and have of course seen many fine posts, even if I didn't agree with what was said.

However, the posts by Ashley on this thread.......

I don't even know what to say...... Maybe an old stand by: Shame on you Ashley.

I've had issues with the idiocy of Ashley's post since he first stepped off the DU boat.

Just wait, I'm sure we'll hear something pleasant from him on this thread yet.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Ashley, you hypocrite that embraces murderers of mothers and fathers while spitting at the nation that gives you the right to say stupid things, we are taking the head off the invader and thrusting it upon a pike. The thing you seem not to understand is the invader is not just a sovereign nation attacking us, but many nations hiding behind groups of terrorists they sponsor.
You little sniveler, I just finished watching a documentary on Bn 1, FDNY on 9/11. I just finished listening to the sickening [V] sounds of desparate people slamming to the [V] ground because it was a preferable way to die than staying in the Hell the Trade Centers had become. I just sat in a [V] chair, clenching my jaws so hard that I think I cracked a tooth

Ouch,sorry about the tooth.You got one more, right?
You may have written the most misguided post i have ever seen. Your anger is all over the place and not where it should be. You should be mad at your government and not me.
If all you do is yell at people that try to teach you something that explains why you dont know anything.
Why am i a hypocrite?,toothless.
Your government failed you at best. Most likely your government was involved.
Are you so angry at your government, you are mad at me. That makes sense considering how "misguided" you are.
Is that why you think we should rape young boys and girls in Iraq, because someone 'our government wont tell us who' crashed some planes into some buildings. You are all over the place.

Lets see if we go by the official story,,, Saudi Nationals financed by an orginazation based in Afghanistan trained in Florida crashes planes into New York City.
Oh. i see now.Lets take your advice and invade Iraq. Brilliant.
Next time you watch T.V. try turning it on.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed you were an American. I shouldn't have wasted so much time writing so much. I am implementing a new policy to cut down on typing, and that is when someone wants to criticize us from afar, my new response is Go get screwed and see if your country can do a better job. As a matter of fact, keep your yap shut until yours has done as much good as this one.

Also, I wasn't aware that I was talking to some wide-eyed mental case who thinks the U.S. government is the culprit behind the 9/11 attack and all that has transpired since. Now, go and play with the other children that ate paint chips. And make sure your tinfoil hat is on really snug. Wouldn't want those U.S. government ray machines reading your mind, now would we?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed you were an American. I shouldn't have wasted so much time writing so much. I am implementing a new policy to cut down on typing, and that is when someone wants to criticize us from afar, my new response is Go get screwed and see if your country can do a better job. As a matter of fact, keep your yap shut until yours has done as much good as this one.

Also, I wasn't aware that I was talking to some wide-eyed mental case who thinks the U.S. government is the culprit behind the 9/11 attack and all that has transpired since. Now, go and play with the other children that ate paint chips. And make sure your tinfoil hat is on really snug. Wouldn't want those U.S. government ray machines reading your mind, now would we?

Cheers to what you've written!
And, it's doubly good to see someone actually thinking in this thread. (ahem).
Thomas Crowne, excellent past few posts. Thought provoking and something I quite agree with. Hear, hear!

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by mauskov]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks, Maus, but in looking back, I fear I am becoming a caustic, sharp-tongued smart-butt. That is the same reason I stopped reading Ann Coulter, too much sarcasm. Maybe I should rein it in a bit!

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
TC, don't even pretend like you can stop setting folk straight. You do it so well it'd be a shame if you changed...that's like Colonel hugging a republican and calling him brother. A smart butt but a wise mind. Nice lil blend.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Genius, I do live in this country. Maybe your new policy should be "i'll stop making assumptions because my assumptions are wrong." That would be a good start at not looking so stupid.

I guess we dont even need to address the second paragraph of 'assumptions' now do we, although the first four words of the second paragraph are very telling.

Now go do some research and if you can actually assemble a sentence of non-assumptions i would love to read them.

Look at the anger in you "go get screwed" "keep your yap shut" and the whole time not even knowing who you are talking to or what country they are from. You are pathetic and simple-minded. It probably doesnt even enter your pin-sized head that an american could disagree with their government, does it?

I am so glad your lack of intelligence keeps you quarantined in a state a long way from here, Its better for you anyways. Your kind doesnt perform very well in thinking areas anyways.

Now go do as you are told.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I enjoyed this rosy view so much I had to "bring it on" from a 'lobbyist" at another board.

Washington - The recent apology of US President George W. Bush for abuses by American military prison guards continued to reverberate around the globe today, as the White House was again inundated with a flurry of �apology accepted� notes from world media, governmental leaders, and Islamic fundamentalist clerics.

Typical of the responses was a personal note from Syrian president Bashar Al-Assad, who wrote �aww, dude, you know I can�t stay mad at you,� saying that the apology had prompted him to immediately dismantle his country�s secret nuclear weapons program. In a postscript, Assad added, �good luck to the Rangers this year.�

�Now was that so hard?� joked Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat in an email to Bush. �Now get out of here ya knucklehead, before we have to do one of those awkward man-hugs.�

The apology also prompted an outbreak of gratitude in the Arab street, as hundreds of thousands of Muslims took to the streets Friday in an impromptu demonstration of thanks. In Gaza, a cheering crowd estimated at 30,000 waved American flags and banners reading �No Prablem Bosh� [sic], while in Damascus throngs gathered in the Square of the Martyrs chanting �U-S-A, U-S-A�.

�I used to dream about dying in a glorious fireball of martyrdom,� said Ali Ahmed Amoud, 23, a marcher in the first annual Infidel Appreciation Days parade in Nablus. �But that apology was so nice and sincere, it just seems kind of petty to keep nursing a grudge.�

In Tehran, the ruling council of Iranian clerics ordered a �national day of celebration and family fun� to commemorate the historic apology. �The Great Satan has given our honor back, so it�s time to move on and let bygones be bygones,� said Ayatollah Rafinstani in a nationwide radio address. Rafinstani also announced Iran�s immediate nuclear disarmament, and cautioned celebrants not to drink and drive.

In Cairo, local clerics were equally enthusiastic and appreciative of Bush�s gesture. In his weekly Friday sermon, Egyptian Imam Muqtaba Salim urged followers to show their appreciation by �reaching out and hugging a Zionist.�

�Sure, they�re a little pushy and abrasive, but c�mon guys � let�s take a deep breath and count to ten before we go all �martydom operations,�� said Salim.

Perhaps the biggest reaction to the Bush apology occured in Saudi Arabia, where leaders of the fundamentalist Wahabbist sect issued a rare commendation of the president.

�It�s just been such a catharsis for all of us,� said Imam Abdelkarim Matwalli, prayer leader of the Grand Mosque in Medina, choking back emotion. �All we really ever wanted was a simple �I�m sorry,� and Mr. Bush delivered. Thank you, America.�

The president�s apology was no less well-received in Europe, with dozens of newspapers blaring effusive, pro-Bush headlines. The Parisienne Le Monde declared �All Is Forgiven, George� while the Manchester Guardian lionized Bush as �an Apologizer for the Ages�; the tabloid Sun carried a simple �Dubya, We Lubya� above a flattering photo of the president festooned with garlands.

The apology also appeared to have created a thaw in the United States� sometimes icy relationship with continental political leaders. French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhardt Schroeder issued a joint communique welcoming the United States �back in the fold of civilized nations,� and vowed to introduce a UN resolution asserting the US right to exist, following scheduled week-long pro-Bush demonstrations across Europe.

Newly elected Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Zapatero also commended the President�s contrition, and said that �I would gladly once again pledge Spanish troops to the War on Terror, if the whole terror thing ever becomes a problem again.�

Domestic reaction was generally favorable, led by Congressional Democrats who drafted a resolution prasing the President�s �bold, thoughtful groveling for world peace,� and calling on Bush to �stop beating yourself up.� Progressive websites such as DemocraticUnderground, Daily Kos and BartCop urged readers to �forgive, forget, and send a nice thank you card to the White House.�

Despite the outbreak of world geopolitical harmony, not everyone was satisfied with Bush�s overture. In a scathing OpEd in today�s New York Times, columnist Thomas Friedman demanded an additional apology from the President.

�Fess up, Mr. Bush,� said Friedman, �that was my idea.�

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
IFess up, Mr. Bush,� said Friedman, �that was my idea.�

Sorry dude but if I may say with ultimate respect; F
k you.

We owe these people no apology.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Got a link to that article MA?
Also, since when have posted entire articles?

Thanks.

seekerof

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I am completely ashamed over the conduct of my country and have to apologize to the rest of the good world for American imperialism.

Europe is doing it right, working together to advance society instead of going to war with each other. America won't last long if it keeps the "cowboy" Bush imperialistic agenda up.

I'll be damned if I have to continue giving all these taxdollars so they can continue to spread unwanted beliefs and government systems on other nations.

But as any imperialistic nation, it requires military force on others in order to survive.

The founding fathers must be turning in their graves, to see the country they designed to be free and well natured.. to turn into what it is now.

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by RedOctober90]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
That article was funny, MA. Love that Assad note.

Typical of the responses was a personal note from Syrian president Bashar Al-Assad, who wrote �aww, dude, you know I can�t stay mad at you,� saying that the apology had prompted him to immediately dismantle his country�s secret nuclear weapons program. In a postscript, Assad added, �good luck to the Rangers this year.�

and the palestinian sign..."�No Prablem Bosh�

gotta love satire--even if its not quoted and I'm aware that I have quoted a unquoted quotable. mmhmm.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Thank you for responding so appropriately with mirth, Saphronia. Some of that is needed even when the world situation is not laughable.

I didn't quote the unquotable quote because the original unquoted came from another message board, where the discussion is all political all day long and one sometimes gets caught in the crossfire. Didn't want to advertise it.

I wonder if in fact the "brilliant idea" was Friedman's. What a pack of losers in temporary charge of the USA.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
AShley, I look at your sentence structure and see how you refer to the U.S. as if you are not in it, therefore it is a reasonable assumption that you not in the U.S. Go and learn how to write in a manner that things may be assumed so that you do not have to spell everything out. Now, go forth and do as you are told.

While you are at it, why don't you learn to write a few sentences of thought without having to quote and insert? You'd be surprised at how much better your mind will learn to work, and trust me, you could use that.

I also imagine you'd love for me to leave aas there'd be one less person around to expose your lack of knowledge in most all you do peck about. Sorry, pal, I'll not be leaving, just trying to learn to back off my sarcasm. Sarcasm is something that is easy to fall into but difficult to back out of. Especially when dealing with people like you. Ignorant peoplke trying to discuss topics that require a bit of knowledge can really bring it out!

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
MA, the humor was quite nice, and as a matter of fact, quite needed in this thread, but seriously, I haven't heard so much as a peep out of the Arab world that resembles an apology in reference to any atrocity commited by their people, have you? Oh, I remember people dancing in the street the day the towers fell. Or am I to believe that was really a spontaneous dance class that was merely illy-timed? How about the mother and her children who were gunned down last week, huh? Maybe I am to believe that was really Jew-on-Jew crime, and the Jewish killers were only mimicing Arab killers?

Come on, my question is why is the president apologizing? He isn't responsible. We as a nation do not condone such actions. Why would the Arab world be so critical of this? This is nothing compared to their day to day routine and they never seem apologetic over it. Or maybe I didn't have the TV turned to the right channel when the Arab world was broadcast aas being shocked when the Jewish reporter was kidnapped, tortured and then beheaded on film a year or so ago. Hey, if you caught their widespread condemnation of any of these things on video, please, let me buy a copy from you.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join