It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CAn we have strict moderation in the 911 forum again?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

First, I have to state that I stay far, far away from the 9/11 threads! The only reason I even opened this thread

What do you mean "I opened this thread"? Titorite opened the thread...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Sorry, wrong choice of words. I meant opened as in opened the window to view this thread. My bad. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
First, I have to state that I stay far, far away from the 9/11 threads!
I personally don't buy the whole 'inside job' conspiracy, and when I have expressed such an opinion and given my reasons for why I don't, I get ripped apart and called all sorts of names, so I stay away..

My friend, after a statement like that.... for you to talk about anyone having thin skin is very hypocritical. And since you do not even visit the 911 forums anyways for fear of being ripped apart by those 'inside job" believers I fail to see how you could know whats going on there currently.

It looks to me that you have commented out of ignorance.

I'm just saying, I think you saw this thread as an opportunity to vent your frustrations of failure about not being able to handle the heat of a very heated forum.

And I do not appreciate comments like 'thin skinned' or waaaaaambulance.

Juvenile comments like that have no place here. ATS maybe family friendly but we are all mature adults here that can express ourselves without resorting to "middle school 'put downs'".

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

I have visited and commented on a few 9/11 threads, and researched what was given as evidence, and when I posted my opinion on the validity of the evidence, I was basically 'gang raped' by those who believe. I was in no way disrespectful, nor did I belittle those who do subscribe to the 'inside job' belief. However, I was on the receiving end of multiple Ad Hominem attacks. I read this thread only because I have seen alot of trolls and flamers on almost every thread here lately.

Considering that I've now been attacked not once but twice by 'true believers' for my original post here, I'd say you've proven my point. I come to this site to engage in intelligent debate, not endless personal attacks, so when the debate turns in a 'poo flinging contest', I leave. From what I've observed in my visits to the 9/11 threads, anyone who does not 'tow the line' and accept the 'inside job' scenario (although I haven't been there in several months), is the target of the virtual 'poo', thus proving thin skins.

While I will grant you that anyone who just goes there (and it's the only forum they post in) to troll for a fight should be penalized, it is unacceptable to villify everyone who disagrees with your position, especially if they ask questions and provide reasons why they disagree with the position of another. And when those who do so come here to complain that they are being harrassed by non-believers, then yes, it's time to call the 'Whaaaabulance". Most members who are not 9/11 conspiracy subscribers avoid the forum as well, for the same reasons.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Well what about the fact that the 9/11 forum is listed as the 5th most popular forum on this entire website? If it were dying, shouldn't it somewhere near the bottom?

OUR MOST-POPULAR FORUMS
Breaking Alternative News
Aliens and UFOs
General Conspiracy Discussion
War On Terrorism
9/11 Conspiracies
Other Current Events
ATS Skunk Works
Paranormal Studies
Conspiracies in Religions
Board Business & Questions
Secret Societies
New World Order
Science & Technology
Political Conspiracies
Weaponry
Aircraft Projects
Space Exploration
Fragile Earth
Political Issues
Regional Politics
Global Meltdown
Breaking Political News
The Gray Area
Ancient & Lost Civilizations
Predictions & Prophecies
Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts
Medical Issues & Conspiracies
Origins & Creationism Conspiracy
Political Ideology
Military and Government Projects
Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics
Survival
Decision 2008
Education and Media
Area 51 and other Facilities
Swine Flu and other Diseases and Pandemics
Above Politics
[HOAX!]
Deconstructing Disinformation & Deflection
Middle East Issues
Politicians & People
Peak Oil
Member PODcasts

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I know exactly what you are talking about, And I think I know at least 2 of the members you are talking about.

They jump into almost every 9/11 thread. I put them on ignore for a while, but then some of them got banned.

Anyways if those three guys really bug you so much put them on ignore.

Or tag them as foes, and ignore all their post, but use the alert at every opportunity when they troll. If enough people do this the mods will get tired of it eventually, and they will get warned and then banned.

I agree the singular forum posters that continually just skirt around the edge of trolling, need extra attention from the mods.

We don't want to censor anybody, but if these are just provoking flame wars, they need to be banished.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I would like to say I have my own amount of fellows on my ignore list..I would name them but I don't think that would be right. Sometimes I go through it to see if folks change... Still waiting.

My problem is not with those I disagree with as much as it is about folks on both sides being allowed bad standards. I mean everything in the thread linked into my sig being disobeyed... Its on all of us to be the best we can and when we allow some to get away with low standards then others feel they should too and it just leads to a nasty cycle.

I did get some clarification about what kind of one liners are appropriate and which one aren't...Big thanks to Helmutt and GAUTO for that.

It still leaves us all with the lingering question of the ATS definition of trolling?
If trolling is gonna be an offense then it would help to have the term defined. .....

Titorite

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I don’t post often in the 9-11 forums. Some of the people have put so much time and effort into their research, while others have spent so much time debating each other a relative new comer to ATS like me is sometimes made to feel out of place and intruding to a certain extent. Especially when you aren’t that familiar with all the theories, and it’s kind of like why is the new kid in class raising his hand? He wasn’t here when we studied this!

I do post a lot on Middle East issues which in many ways 9-11 is a Middle East issue whether you favor inside job/truth movement, or you favor the official story.

Middle East issues like 9-11 can be very passionate debates, some members whom I very much admire for their over all intelligence and vast array of knowledge on a vast number of subjects don’t always appreciate some of the controversial stances I will passionately debate.

A few of them have been real dragged out knock down, up and down, back and forth debates.

I have put a few people on ignore, but recently I tried something else with a couple of people who are as opposite in their positions as you could get and still be on the same planet.

I said you know, you might not think so but I actually like you and respect your intelligence and even though I don’t agree with some of your positions or the way you debate them sometimes I want to show my real admiration and respect and put you on my friends list.

So I would put them on my friends list and try real hard when debating them forward to always stress the fact that I think of them as a friend.

It took a little bit of effort and time to win them over, these are people who would have preferred to see me hung at Nuremburg rather than have to debate me on some things they would prefer to dance around or just ignore.

Yet for what its worth its worked and our debates have got much friendlier, they have stopped all together trying to bait me in the debates, and they have stopped all together trying to insult me in our debates, and of course I try extra hard not to bait them either or insult them either and choose my words as carefully as I can to eliminate any kind of reference that makes it personally about them or could be twisted to be personally about them.

We actually have believe it or not become very friendly with one another if not down right friends, even though neither they nor I have moved one inch on our positions.

We even exchange an occasional friendly U2U message with one another now and then, and even have starred and supported each other on the rare threads we are in agreement on the topic and find some joy in the fact that there are some things we can see eye to eye on.

I have never hit an alert button, I have a handful of people on my ignore list.

Every week to 10 days or so I just purposefully try to stay off of ATS for a few days especially if it’s a very passionate issue for people. I do that when I start to feel my own passions rise to the point I start becoming tempted to say things that would be a T & C violation.

I think the staff does a great job overall, for the most part they are real fair, and for the most part they seem to always be trying to improve.

This is just a theory, a conspiracy if you will, but I do believe there are a few long standing members that do post some very controversial statements and go way over the T & C line that the staff ignores.

I think that they do that because they feel it is in the best interest of the site to have a few very rancorous people who they can count on to keep a thread going or a forum going by ratcheting up peoples passions on the thread.

I don’t think that anything, any system, or any person in life can be made perfect or operate perfect.

I do think if we keep looking to ourselves to find solutions while we press others to look for solutions the world or that part of it or that thing does get better though.

My best advice friend is try to make it as better as you can by adapting to the extent you feel you can or is wise to yourself, while trying to get others including the staff to do the same.

I am my own worst and toughest critic in life, and try to always leave room and recognize there is room for me to get smarter, wiser, and more skilled.

You might want to consider challenging yourself a little, challenging the people you are finding it hard to get along with in a friendly way, and challenge the staff to try to do more and I would wager you would come up with a lot more satisfactory result taking that three prong approach than putting all your eggs in just one basket.

Some food for thought, happy posting!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Her is one websites definition

Trolling is an internet term that means you're not posting to actually start or participate in a good discussion, but simply to anger another member or group of members. Posting in order to bait other users, moderators or administrators will not be tolerated.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join