It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CAn we have strict moderation in the 911 forum again?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I notice that the strictness of the moderatorship of the 911 forums has been becoming lax. Now this is not an accusation at anyone, I know you guys are busy with what all we members throw at you.

As of late however I see folks trolling, By trolling I mean I hit the post history on a member and all I see them posting in is the 911 forum . Like a troll hiding under a bridge they go no where else and only "troll" the 911 forums.

I see these folks use snide comments, sarcastic remarks, one liners, and off topic distractions meant to detract from a thread and its particular topic. And I hit the alert button.

I bring this to the board because of late I have had to hit the Alert button alot.

I am not perfect but I try to abide by the rules but I see folks in the 911 forums who have been here on ATS years longer than I have still not abiding by the Rules... With no intention of abiding by the rules, Insisting that I bend to their whim or Point of View. When I click on these peoples posts history I see they post no where else but the 911 forums... and most of it in a negative, belittling manner. I don't care which side of the argument they are on.. it is their willingness to be derogatory that brings me here.

So... As scary as it is to ask.. because I know by asking for it what we risk if we get our wish... It would mean if I spoke on the 911 threads again I would have to up my own standards in obeying the rules.

So I ask you members that still speak on the 911 forums and the moderators that keep it in line to give your input on the subject.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You are always free to use the Alert button to notify the moderators of any issues in a thread. That way they know that there is a problem.

Each and every post has an alert button that will create a post in a special moderator only section that they can see.

That way they know and can do something about it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swampfox46_1999
reply to post by titorite

Well, start comprehending what is posted and then maybe the sarcasm will subside.

That is from the 911 forum. I have hit alert on that post a few times now over the last couple of days because it is a one liner and the fellow in question admits to being a sarcastic person as well as the insult to my reading comprehension skills.

I have as of late seen folks name calling one another again, making insinuations of violence towards others, ad hominem attacks and off topic postings.

I have seen no warns. At best the part of the post that was in violation gets a snip and thats it. And that is IF anything happens at all.

WORST OF ALL

I have been able to identify at least three trolls.

There are at least three individuals whom, when I check their post history, post only in the 911 forum and no where else. The Banner warning at the bottom of the 911 forum clearly states that trolling will not be tolerated and yet it is. A quick post history check will show that.

Trolling as I understand it would be considered hanging out in one exclusive place to harass individuals that trespass in the trolls domain.

I was hoping that in my three years here that we could move to a less strict moderatorship of that forum but I feel the need is obvious that you mods need to keep the leash tight.

For the sake of members on all sides of the issue.

I have written to one super mod and one owner and hit the alert button (a couple of times now) on the post quoted. Yet as I write this that insulting oneliner remains...

This thread is not about the one particular post I have quoted. It is just an example of the larger problem. 911 madness is running rampant and it is my hope that the good men and women will check themselves as well as the mods.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
it's not troll like the gnome, it's troll like hang a line out of the boat and see who gets hooked on the bait.
just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Meh I have a suggestion....

Don't Feed The Trolls.

They are easy enough to spot, easy enough to report. We as the community and acting members of ATS have a responsibility to help "mod" the boards by flagging such things.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It is not a matter of not feeding the trolls.. it is a mater of enforcement.

The trolls are only a part of it like the example I quoted...

That is a one liner. It is also insulting... The member in question admits to his sarcasm and its in the 911 forum the place where standards are strictly enforced.

Or at least thats what the banner warning says

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Enforcement can't be done unless the members aid the mods in regards to these issues. Yes they are all powerful, but they can't be everywhere at once, and to tell you the truth the 9/11 Forum is a bit...overrated in my opinion.

I'm sure that any post that you alerted or spoke up about was reviewed properly and then action was taken.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Maybe you mis read the statement in post three where I said I hit the alert button a few times...

If you think the 911 forum is over ratted then maybe you are not spending much time there so perhaps you are unaware of the problems there.

The mods are doing their best I get that. I am just saying that maybe it is time to rev up the moderation there once again...

You do know the 911 forum is supposed to be under stricter scrutiny and standards correct?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Ohh, I apologize, I must've misread your OP. I didn't see you had already alerted in this.

So yes, I will agree with you, I don't spend very much time on that particular forum, but I do see the trolls. Perhaps it does require a bit more moderation.

Hmm.. Then again, it is summer so most of the mods I think are taking some down time and taking advantage of the less serious discussions occuring.

But again, I apologize

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Sometimes alerting the moderators just isn't enough. Sometimes you have to call...............the Waaaaambulance!

What some consider trolling others may not. Let the mods decide. I think they do a great job considering how fast ATS is growing!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Sometimes alerting the moderators just isn't enough. Sometimes you have to call...............the Waaaaambulance!

What some consider trolling others may not. Let the mods decide. I think they do a great job considering how fast ATS is growing!

WOW... That was totally meant to flame ME. It is that kind of juvenile inappropriate response that I would expect to see at a lesser site like GodLikeProductions and not ATS.

And certainly trite internet memes such as "waaaaambulance" have no place at all in the 911 forums.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

RR nailed it. 9/11 in a lot of ways is as much a faith as anything and people are reading T&C infractions where none exist and some people feel threatened when their belief is challenged. I'm not saying they don't happen but just because your position is challenged, sometimes forcefully, we can not act unless it IS a T&C violation.

Edit: For clarity.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

No interpid RR did not "NAIL it".. There is no need to call the "Waaaambulance"

And the mater of T&C violations are not subjects of faith they are clearly spelled out...

I am not talking about somebody refuting a point.

I am talking about reading threads where One person calls another a retard in response to be told he would have his teeth kicked in.

I hit alert on both those comments. I hit alert on debunker and believer alike. It has absolutely nothing to do with matters of faith! It has to do with comments like "Sometime you need to call the waaaambulance" Being tolerated in a forum with a banner warning stating it is under closer scrutiny.

A warning that says trolling will not be tolerated.

From the 911 forum

This forum is on "Strict Terms and Conditions of Use ENFORCEMENT" until further notice.

"Strict Enforcement" means:
Any Member lowering themselves to name calling, no matter how innocuous, will be red tag warned on the spot, no questions asked.

Any Member who, after receiving a red tag warn in this forum, commits another breach of the TAC will be post banned on the spot, no questions asked.

One warning is all you get before being post banned.

Many many people have not been warned or post banned or anything. I have been seeing alot of slaps on the wrist as of late and watching alot of flamers just continue to flame.

And I am just trying to bring it to your attention.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by titorite]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

You just proved my point. RR wasn't referencing anyone but pointing out that some in that forum have thin skins. You chose to take offense to it though. See?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You just proved my point. RR wasn't referencing anyone but pointing out that some in that forum have thin skins. You chose to take offense to it though. See?

What?!?! I don't even know where to begin. RRconservitive is making the derogatory jab specifically in a reply post to me... as opposed to a reply post in general... even if it is not directed solely at me it is still a belittling thing to say and thats way he choose to speak in said manner to belittle the point I would try to make...

Thick skin has nothing to do with this. Up in post three of this thread you still have a an insulting one liner comment.

NOTHING AT ALL with how sensitive one is....

Hey if you think its cool that people are calling each other retards in the 911 forums and talking about how dumb this or that member is their is not a thing I can do about it.

I hit the alert buttons, nothing happens, I did my best.... I thought I would make a thread about the subject and I now have and you, interpid, telling me I should get some thicker skin.

If thats what you think then maybe I did my best and this just is what it is.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Thick skin has nothing to do with this. Up in post three of this thread you still have a an insulting one liner comment.

Please point that out to me. I can't see it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Well, start comprehending what is posted and then maybe the sarcasm will subside.

Swampfox46_1999. Its a oneliner and if you check the reply you can have a better understanding of the context it was said in....I mean that forum is supposed to be devoid of sarcasm because it was leading to flame wars right?

Look, it not personal against the mods or anything ok? I know yall are over worked and underpaid. I had hoped that in three years the 911 forum would chill down and people would grow more respectful.

I think you mods were hoping for the same.

People are getting less warns there and instead of respecting the extra rope your giving them they are cranking up the old flames.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Oh, I thought you meant this thread. I checked that out and if you want the truth YOU went at SF first.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Indeed... I thought I hit the alert button too...I know I wrote springer about it...
I am not trying to bust chops here. I'm just saying I have noticed the latitude that yall have been giving folks. But instead of that latitude being respected certain members have been taking advantage of it to kick up the old flames to incite emotionally heated responses.

I have also wondered about the trolling definition because the folks I see doing the most to get others heated are also the ones that post strictly with in the 911 forums never taking full advantage of all that ATS has to offer....

And If I see someone who has been on ATS 4 or 5 years who only posts in the 911 forums and no where else i have to wonder just why are they here and only with in our 911 forum?

I mean they must know the T&C by now if they have been members here for that many years so one would think that they would now what kind of standards is expected of them.

Like I said I have only seen three people that stick to the subject exclusively others stick to it but on rare occasion post elsewhere too..but then you got those three individuals that have no post history on any other subject...That to makes me raise an eyebrow in the context of whos trolling and who aint. Even if its a matter of baiting folks some of these individuals certainly adhere to that definition.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

There is no rule in the T&C that people have to post in more than one forum. Bottom line is that if you see an infraction Alert and let the staff make the determination.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join