It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Sophistication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a while ago i started a thread about new mayan buildings that were found in guatemala, this is sort of a review and update of what was found. it seems to archaeologists that the mayan civilization was more sophisticated then once thought, even pushing their existence a few hundreds years forward.
story.news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Here is another story link:

Archeologists excavating a 2,500-year-old Maya city in Guatemala have unearthed buildings and massive carvings indicating the presence of a royal metropolis of more than 10,000 people at a time when scientists previously believed the Maya were only simple farmers.

New studies at the Peten jungle site of Cival have unearthed the oldest known carved portrait of a Maya king and two massive stone masks, discoveries indicating that the Maya developed a complex and sophisticated civilization hundreds of years earlier than previously believed.

The city of towering pyramids and sweeping plazas is also yielding other surprising artifacts, including jade and ceramic offerings to the gods that may mark the beginnings of the Maya dynasties, Vanderbilt University archeologist Francisco Estrada-Belli said Tuesday at a National Geographic Society news conference.
www.tdn.com...

Just when we think we know everything.......
I wonder if there will be any further findings concerning the 2012 event?

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have always thought the Mayan civilisation was far older than conventional archaeologists.Did the Maya have boats ? Because I believe a south -American culture visited Britain thousands of years ago .The reason I have developed this theory is because of the Gulf stream, any reasonably well built boat EG-(Viking standard) that set off from S.America would be brought to SW England or Ireland by the Gulf stream. Another reason I believe there was a S.American influence is the incidences of human sacrafice during the Bronze and Iron age in Britain and Ireland also there are many cultural comparisons between both the Maya and early Britons.I would be interested to know more.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
In response to two questions here:

Yes, the Mayans had boats and were expert navigators. During the pre-Classic period (A.D. 900-1500) there was an intense traffic flow of boats covering both extremes of the marine routes in the Mundo Maya.

And, Yes, additional information about 2012 and the Mayan long-count calendar may be found at an unusual site combining science, ancient religions, travels by the webmaster to sites around the world. Go to:

MAYA NAVIGATORS
During the pre-Classic period (A.D. 900-1500) there was an intense traffic flow of boats covering both extremes of the marine routes in the Mundo Maya.

onealclan0.tripod.com...

You can navigate to all related pages from there.

top topics

join