It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Round-the-world solar plane debut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Round-the-world solar plane debut

news.bbc.co.uk

Swiss adventurer Bertrand Piccard has unveiled a prototype of the solar-powered plane he hopes eventually to fly around the world.

The vehicle, spanning 61m but weighing just 1,500kg, will undergo trials to prove it can fly through the night.

Dr Piccard, who made history in 1999 by circling the globe non-stop in a balloon, says he wants to demonstrate the potential of renewable energies.

The final version of the plane will try first to cross the Atlantic in 2012.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cleantech.com
www.dailynews.com
frankcalberg.blogspot.com
www.neptunuslex.com

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This plane looks really neat. I hope he makes it, flying at night on stored energy could be a little risky. But I guess this guy Piccard has the courage to give it a try. It could power out over the ocean and his million dollar plane goes splash. The plane itself is pretty big though and I guess they will be making frequent stops? I guess they will have a ship following them on the ocean? It wasn't too clear from the articles. They said five long hops. Why does the date 2012 ring a bell?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
"to see if it can fly thought night"

shouldent there be some technology in it to make it fly at night, not hope it all works together to do that?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

WOW Good luck. I remember the first solar powered plane I saw that was like back in 1999. They sure have made some improvements.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Firstly I have to say, there can be no better name for an adventurer than Bertrand Piccard, how wonderfully explorerish that sounds

But I'm really happy to see at least someone attempting something with this technology. The idea of all countries having closed borders due to basically having no fuel to fly, scares me immensely. Perhaps this technology will be adopted and refined by the big airline companies, to at least absorb some of the power needed for flying those big gas guzzlers.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
If i remember my 70's solar power 101 right the problem was storing enough power to batteries when sunlight was out.Im sure strides have been taken since but isnt it still the same problem?I know there are plenty of engineers,techs here at ATS to add their expertise if they wish to make me look stupid!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I hope he succeeds, though not civilian nor military aviation will use solar energy for flying.
Lets wait for those new solar panels capable of increasing significantly energy output that were mentioned several months ago being released to public soon, and pray that their prices would not be astronomical. Then it would really be capable to reduce both pollution and "carbon" energy dependence.

top topics

join