It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great photo of F-22 breaking the sound barrier

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hi everyone,
I thought I would post this link to show this awesome photo of an F-22 Raptor breaking the sound barrier. This occurred on June 22nd, 2009 in the Gulf of Alaska over the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis. They are conducting the Northern Edge military drill right now. Please let me know if you all have trouble with the link
Enjoy!

Here is the photo:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1a922fac5d3.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 6/26/2009 by wrangell76]

Link to Photo:
www.adn.com...

[edit on 6/26/2009 by wrangell76]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Nice mach cone symmetry.

This reminds me of one of the images in APOD which shows the same phenomenon in the hornet.

APOD

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

I love that picture you posted.
It reminded me as well of this new one. Thanks for posting that

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

Excellent picture, I love pictures like this, showing advanced science at work!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

I heard the F-22 can break the sound barrier WITHOUT afterburners
turned on!
They keep making those engines better and better.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Yea, it is called "Supercruise", it is what separates the Raptor from everything else. The F22 is the worlds first gen 5 fighter.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
One thing I noticed on the "Superman Returns" movie. There is a clip where superman flies into the sky and they actually thought about putting a sonic boom cone around him.

On topic. Great pic.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
feel so sorry for the fake pilots flying these around while other pilots are flying the AG crafts.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Yes.

Maximum speed, without external weapons, is estimated to be Mach 1.82 in supercruise mode;[51] as demonstrated by General John P. Jumper, former US Air Force Chief of Staff, when his Raptor exceeded Mach 1.7 without afterburners on 13 January 2005.[52] With afterburners, it is "greater than Mach 2.0" (1,317 mph, 2,120 km/h), according to Lockheed Martin; however, the Raptor can easily exceed its design speed limits, particularly at low altitudes, with max-speed alerts to help prevent the pilot from exceeding them.

F-22-wikipedia

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Firstly great pic

Don't you think it is amazing what can be made in these times.

Originally posted by jkrog08

Yea, it is called "Supercruise", it is what separates the Raptor from everything else. The F22 is the worlds first gen 5 fighter.

Whats is a gen 5 fighter ? And what else is thing capable of?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

Yea, it is called "Supercruise", it is what separates the Raptor from everything else.

You make it sound like the Raptor is the only aircraft capable of supercruise. I believe the English Electric Lightning was the first, and that was made back in the 50s. There are a number of fighter planes today that can supercruise.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
GREAT shot but my hart will always belong to the SR71
THE most sexiest plane made ever, and those engines an engineering feat.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Nice pic !!!!!

Now cue the guys that think the F-22 has anti gravity :shk:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
It is a lovely pic, well posted.

But, a fighter that can supercruise without burners? We did that in 1954, since then us Euros built an airliner that can supercruise at mach 2 fully loaded, flew it for 30 years and got bored with it. come on America, catch up!

[edit on 27-6-2009 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Actually supercruise is defined as not only being to cruise supersonically without afterburners but also to be able to break the sound barrier without afterburners. The first part is easy, it's been done for years but the last part is unique to the F-22. It actually takes a lot of energy to get through that trans-sonic region between 0.9 and 1.1 Mach which - before the Raptor - required afterburners.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragon72
Actually supercruise is defined as not only being to cruise supersonically without afterburners but also to be able to break the sound barrier without afterburners. The first part is easy, it's been done for years but the last part is unique to the F-22. It actually takes a lot of energy to get through that trans-sonic region between 0.9 and 1.1 Mach which - before the Raptor - required afterburners.

Actually, the Raptor is still not the first aircraft to do that - that honour does infact sit with the English Electric Lightning, and even that isnt the only other aircraft to do it.

Concorde certainly could supercruise, only it never did because it was more economical to get through the transonic area on reheat as it used less fuel (it stayed in the high drag area less time on reheat).

Even the F-14 could supercruise in low weight configurations, but these configurations were pointless to use so it never did it.

But still, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Eurofighter! One of its core abilities and features is supercruise, and it became operational before the F-22 did, so it certainly counts. Come on Waynos, what were you thinking?!

So the F-22 is not unique in this ability, and it isn't the first either.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Aircraft with supercruise include:

English Electric Lightning (The first aircraft capable of supercruise)
BAC TSR-2
Eurofighter Typhoon
JAS 39 Gripen[8] [9]
F-4 'Super' Phantom II[10]
F-14D Super Tomcat[citation needed]
F-22 Raptor
F-104 Starfighter[11]
YF-23 Black Widow II
XB-70 Valkyrie
Concorde
Tupolev Tu-144S

Supercruise

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragon72

When the English Electric P.1 (the proto-Lightning) first achieved mach 1.5 it wasn't even *fitted* with afterburners, so 'unique' is slightly inaccurate.

Also, how can supercruise be defined as accelerating through the sound barrier? It has the word 'cruise' in it. Or is this a case of the US trying to redefine the word to fit the F-22?

OED entry for 2011;

'Supercruise - the ability to maintain a speed of at least mach 1.5 (1.4 isn't enough) having accelerasted through the sound barrier without the use of afterburners in an aeroplane, unless said aeroplane is not American, stealthy, and cost a bloody fortune to develop.'

At one time, in plain english, Supercruising was sustaining a speed greater than mach 1 on dry thrust alone. At least until the USAF realised this had already been done

Richard, I didn't want to fan the flames too highly

[edit on 29-6-2009 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
This is what Lockheed says:

F-22 testing marks the first time in history a fighter has flown supercruise, sustaining speeds of Mach 1.5 or greater without using afterburner, achieved at a low power setting, and at less than 275 flight hours in the testing process.

From Air Force News:

In the context of the F-22 Raptor, supercruise is defined as the ability to cruise at speeds of one and a half times the speed of sound or greater without the use of afterburner for extended periods in combat configuration. In fact, once operational, the F-22 will be able to fly large portions of its combat missions in supercruise mode, a key element to the aircraft's air dominance role.

"Sustaining the target Mach was not difficult for the Raptor," said Col. C.D. Moore, Combined Test Force commander, at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. "The difficulty was keeping the Raptor from going faster than the target speed. Yesterday the airplane demonstrated that it can achieve awesome speed, flying above 1.5 Mach at a low power setting, for a sustained period of time. No other fighter in the world can do that."

From what I am reading, what makes the F22 unique regarding supercruise is that it can remain in supercruise for very long periods of time and during normal combat operations due to the fact that the engines are highly efficient or something like that.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Yeah, funny how they put that completely arbitrary figure of 1.5 in there isn't it? The P.1 supercruised on its 3rd flight, so unless each of the two preceding flights was about 150hrs long I think we can see why the 1.5 figure is used.

From what I am reading, what makes the F22 unique regarding supercruise is that it can remain in supercruise for very long periods of time and during normal combat operations due to the fact that the engines are highly efficient or something like that.

Concorde has spent more time in supercruise than all other aircraft capable of the feat added together, cruising at mach 2 for 2 hours at a time, daily, over a 26 year career That sort of figure makes the F-22 look like an amateur.

Trust Americans to turn a joke into an argument, rely on a Brit to keep it going

[edit on 29-6-2009 by waynos]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join