It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MY generations "The Day The Music Died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
First move this to "RANT"!!!!!
I cant believe that "FFFFFIOOOOOXXXXX" news has chosen to report "MJ's" financial problems!!! the man was a master of entertainment..
Ya know I am a metal head, but when I was little "MJ" waS THE "ssssssuperstarrrrrr" EVERYONE ONE THE FACE OF THE PLANet" knew who he was!!!
I AM A conservative but "FOX" news sucks cow butt!!!

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Agreed. Fox news should have more important things to concentrate on than some mega stars financial issues. Though, just because someone made a bundle doesn't mean they handled their finances well. Just look at Donald Trump. How many times has that man been bankrupt?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jeffcoatsawakening

It is interesting that all the 24/7 news networks devote so much time to a washed up former superstar who was in his waning days. He had much debt (although his music catalog and the Beatles catalog are worth billions in future revenues) and many other legal problems. To ignore his child molestation trial and settlements would not be true to the coverage given to others.

President Nixon's Watergate scandal was mentioned a lot when he passed away. I am sure that Bill Clinton's fiasco in his final years in office will be talked about when he passes away.

I am more upset that they give all this attention to a music star. We hold our sports, music and movie celebrities too high on a pedestal. There are many real heroes out there who are making sacrifices in Iraq and Afghanistan who are not getting the treatment an alleged criminal who escaped justice is.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Clearly we're watching different television spots.

The child molestation cases and controversy is getting as much air-time as his financial woes and his artistic success over the years. I give credit to the networks for their coverage of this situation because all aspects have been examined and they haven't ignored anything. I initially thought they'd ignore some of the controversies to show respect, however they respectfully examined the issues.

My only objection at this point is that it is still taking up countless hours every day of every network's air-time. But I guess that is still to be expected until he is buried.

I'm only young, but I can't think of a death of this magnitude since about 1980. (Around early December of that year)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

My mother still talks about the death of JFK. My grandparents and many other older persons remember exactly where they were when that tragedy happened. That was also the first time the network news covered an event for 24/7. The executives did not know if people would follow the story so closely and debated about following it so in depth. They decided to follow the story closely and were surprised by the tremendous ratings given the gloomy nature of the story.

I was very young, but do remember the moon landing getting the attention of the country.

I do not think Michael Jackson's death comes remotely close to those two above events.

PS Watergate was also followed closely during Richard Nixon's final days.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Which is an opinion.

Those that were a fan of his, and even those that are not.. there is no denying his impact on the music industry. Even race relations were heavily impacted by the man. It wasn't until he came along that black artists were given air time on MTV. That is a big deal! In the latter years a lot of that was heavily overshadowed, but for a lot of people they can still remember what he used to be as opposed to what he become.

In the aftermath of his death, it is pretty apparent that the person we witnessed over the past 10-20 years was a man heavily under the influence of powerful prescription drugs.

Whether people agree or not, he was the victim of addiction like many others before him and sadly, many more to come after him.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by chissler]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

His impact was made early in his career. After his album "Bad", he went on to make albums that sounded the same. Yes, he did have many fans world wide, but he really did not contribute much to pop culture after the 1980s. His only contributions were his bizarre behavior and the sexual misconduct scandals that surrounded him.

As I have mentioned before, I grew up with Michael Jackson's early music and was a fan of it. Thriller and Bad were good, but after that his stuff was forgettable.

When Elvis Presley died, his fans mourned all over the world also. That can be compared to what is happening now.

I would never compare a pop singer's death to that of JFK. They are not even in the same boat.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Who compared it to JFK?

I said December 8th, 1980. Google it.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I agree
It was really QUINCY JONES that made the only 3 albums that were'genius' I credit him more than MJ, as he was the one to develop that creative vision that I believe MJ facilitated the delivery of via his talent.

Elvis death was defn just as big, i sadly remember it well (DOH! getting old)

Lennons was big.
These are big stories as the combine pop/rock culture phenomena with contraversial deaths.

MJ's death just has more outlets with Cable, internet etc for mass global saturation.

Ive actually not turned on the TV since a I dont really care about him. I have his early music to enjoy, the man and his madness is not something i have interest in whether he is here or not.

I believe we lost a genius when he split with Quincy Jones, and since we've had a drug affected individual with serious mental health issues. A empty puppet, that can perfrom, but no longer could create as his focus was elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I compared it to JFK, as the main idea is when the last death of someone really impacted people. I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression out of what I was trying to convey.

I do remember John Lennon's death, but I was not too impacted by that. I do not remember where I was when that tragedy happened.

zazzafrazz, you stated everything I believe about MJ.

top topics

join