It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Community service is a national duty

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Not everyone wants to go to college. You can't sit there and make assumptions about what people want.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I think this is much to do about nothing...

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama urged all Americans Thursday to find a way to serve their country this summer.
The president and first lady Michelle Obama did their part at Fort McNair, helping volunteers load 15,000 backpacks with books, healthy snacks and toys for children of the men and women of the armed forces.
"Serving our country is not just something that we should expect our members of our armed forces to do," Obama said, "That's something that we should expect all of us as citizens to do."
The Obamas were joined by their daughters, Malia and Sasha, members of Congress and their families, and volunteers from nonprofit organizations.
Promoting volunteerism and community service has been a priority for the Obamas. The president often credits his work as a community organizer in his early 20s for giving him direction in life.
This week, Obama kicked off the "United We Serve" program, a service initiative led by the government-run Corporation for National and Community Service. The effort is aimed at getting people to tackle problems in the areas of education, health, energy and the environment and community renewal.
Obama said community service is one way Americans can "make this country stronger."
The initiative will continue through Sept. 11, which recently was designated by Congress as a National Day of Service and Remembrance.
Earlier this year, the president signed a $5.7 billion national service bill that triples the size of the AmeriCorps service program over the next eight years. It also expands ways for students to earn money for college by helping those in their neighborhoods.
People can find local needs and volunteer opportunities online at www.serve.gov.... Organizations can also post service events on the Web site.

There is NO MENTION OF MANDATORY SERVICE -

Anyhow there is no point to argue any of this, you are right-wingers because you have
your way about you, I can except it. Aside from the attempt to ignite a soaked
match, I see nothing "WRONGE" with community service as it is something promoted
constantly in CHURCH and by Jesus himself. While, I also think the self serving and self centered should be able to be as self oriented as they wanna be.

Let me know when you are forced to serve, let me know if your property value drops
or if the crime rate expands as a result. Then we can battle properly...

BTW has anyone had any Federal agents come to the door and their take guns yet???

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke

Not everyone wants to go to college. You can't sit there and make assumptions about what people want.

Right you are. And those that don't want to also don't have to volunteer. It is an incentive based program.

Also, those that want to go to college, but do not want to do volunteer work....well, they can do like I did and finance my own education. And yet there will be those that want to volunteer, but do not wish to go to college. Bottom line is that any way you slice it, it is still a volunteer program.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I highly doubt that any poverty stricken child, with the desire for higher education, would look at community service in exchange for college tuition as unpaid labor. This opens doors to so many that have so little.

Sure, but that still doesn't make anything fair.
Why do kids have to pay for college when 'owners' of means of production are raking it in? Who can own land? Trees? The fruits?

What I'm saying is that if we truly want answers to the problems we face, we need to look at the stuff proposed in my signature, yet Obama steers clear from it as expected.

Remember his inauguration speech?

It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break; the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours.

Why should we cut our hours? Aaaaaah because it is TABOO to cut the owner's PROFIT.

Obama is clearly a pawn for Corporate Capitalism, and that's why hardly anything he does makes any sense, or improves anything.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Well, of course Obama wants volunteers to help out the country this summer.

You don't have to pay 'em!

so, will it be a nice volunteer that comes picks up my garbage every week? checks my books out at the library, catalogues them and all that? will it be nice volunteers that assemble gm cars??

what about the people doing those jobs now?? or have they become "volunteers" also?

really, how are they gonna prevent this from taking off and start taking jobs from workers?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
So as far as I'm concerned, he's even doing us wrong merely by asking us to volunteer.
I don't even care if it's mandatory or not, just the fact that he asks the masses to work for free in a world where we already are mere wage slaves to the corporate and financial crime syndicates, is sickening - and FAR from the change I'd personally like to see.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Heres one example of why you are wrong, not just about your right-wing comments just because we don't agree with every issue as the Admin but because you are so blind to see government intrusion that has been going on since the false 9/11 attacks that keeps attacking Americans not those who Attacked us. I appreciate you posting my thread but it is going to be enforced one way or another. Oh crap, hurry, hurry you might forget to sign up more sheeple.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by Totakeke

Right you are. And those that don't want to also don't have to volunteer. It is an incentive based program.

WORD...

Like I said; let me know if you are forced to serve...

To the rest who have cited targeting disadvantaged youths -

Let me get it straight here, it is okay to target "disadvantaged youths" for military ( as a result death and dismemberment can result) service, via ad targeting and increased ROTC efforts, however this version targeting is not acceptable with service?

How does that work?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psynarchist

Sure, but that still doesn't make anything fair.
Why do kids have to pay for college when 'owners' of means of production are raking it in? Who can own land? Trees? The fruits?

So is it fair for those that are fortunate to keep their feet on the heads of those that are living in poverty. Heck, lets all turn our noses up at the poor....because, after all, they are just the filthy, undeserving poor. That my friend is about as closed minded as one can get.

Besides, the wealthy and advantaged kids can partake in the same program and receive the same incentives. And so what if it is on our tax dollar? I mean, I would rather have the "roadside clean-up fund" going towards this program as opposed to criminals and those w/o ambition.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psynarchist
So as far as I'm concerned, he's even doing us wrong merely by asking us to volunteer.
I don't even care if it's mandatory or not, just the fact that he asks the masses to work for free in a world where we already are mere wage slaves to the corporate and financial crime syndicates, is sickening - and FAR from the change I'd personally like to see.

Yet the military scours the youth of EVERY SINGLE high school recruiting VOLUNTEERS. Is that wrong too?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You didn't read it!! Once again.

(36) DISADVANTAGED YOUTH- The term `disadvantaged youth' includes those youth who are economically disadvantaged and 1 or more of the following:
`(A) Who are out-of-school youth, including out-of-school youth who are unemployed.
`(B) Who are in or aging out of foster care.
`(C) Who have limited English proficiency.
`(D) Who are homeless or who have run away from home.
`(E) Who are at-risk to leave secondary school without a diploma.
`(F) Who are former juvenile offenders or at risk of delinquency.
`(G) Who are individuals with disabilities.

Is this not a form of eugenics, Just my opinion. Take the lower class and unfortunate and put them to work for no pay sounds to me like slave labor I almost missed (G) what kind or the limitation or is it all??

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

WORD?
Are you kidding me! that was a clear give a way to why you are blinded by all that is reported not just in the MSM but on sites like this one. It's time for the apressed to rise and others to fall. Power to the people "ACORN" "AmeriCorp" United We Serve".... It's all clear now... Down with self relience and rise of the underclass! Hmm

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rams59lb

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Heres one example of why you are wrong, not just about your right-wing comments just because we don't agree with every issue as the Admin but because you are so blind to see government intrusion that has been going on since the false 9/11 attacks that keeps attacking Americans not those who Attacked us. I appreciate you posting my thread but it is going to be enforced one way or another. Oh crap, hurry, hurry you might forget to sign up more sheeple.

Well I like my pen better as all of us share our hay,while the folks in your pen keep giving their hay to the guy with the large pile...

Let me know when it is enforced and please explain how you are being attacked by this initiative which has NOT BEEN PROVEN as mandatory.

BAH!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I am a disabled Volunteer firefighter/EMT and i have done my community service for many years and now i am retired and will no longer do it unless i feel like doing it.
I am also a navy veteran.

What is Obama going to do if i no longer feel like doing any more community service.

Because i am disabled where can i get a volunteer doing community service to mow my lawn every couple weeks.

By the way i have sarcoidosis a common disorder that affects firefighters.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
What is Obama going to do if i no longer feel like doing any more community service.

Very admirable is all of your contribution. No doubt, people like you (i.e. volunteers) made this country great. And, I'm assuming that like you said, everything you did was voluntary. So, to answer the question you posed...the answer is simple...he will have full faith that someone from the next generation will pick up where you rightfully and deservingly left off and VOLUNTEER!

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

When the day comes that those who disagree with this bill posting on this thread it will be already reported in every city, county and state news outlets as some will have the ability to sue and there will be law suits that win because this is wrong to mandate our children to serve as this admin has stated since Nov 08.

It will also be reported all over but misreported by the MSM as civil unrest and extremist as sheeple go to extremes to say no to a lot of illigally passed laws in bills passed by this criminal gov. I know, I know, I'm a right winged nut job...

As if you know me lol... It's not a right or left isssue!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I with you, it's great to volenteer when you could... It has been said by news reports that benefits could be cut to those who don't agree to serve. That is what got my goat about a lot of this. This admin keeps leaking out threats "Not the man himself" that if sheeple don't serve that it would be a shame if they loss oppertunities that would normally be there for them. Hmmm. Vile threat?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have a simple theory as to why mandatory service will never happen. People won't do it. There isn't enough money or room to put the millions of people who would refuse in jail. My guess is they will explore these mandatory options, but in the end will decide that mandatory service just won't work, because guess what...it won't.

I would imagine even the millions of people who go along with it out of fear of a fine/jail time/whatever, will be so angry at being forced to "volunteer" that the quality of "help" they are providing will be so horrible as to be better off not having these "volunteers" around.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join