It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Community service is a national duty

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Okay, now it's clear where we honestly disagree! it doesn't matter here today weather you are right or if I am but what is obvious is that you are that % of America that is fully okay with our local and federal governments raising our children (helping out as you see it) instead of putting in the time yourself no matter the cost. Hmm. Okay. I understand and believe along with many others in my high % of peeps that it is not the job what so ever of the government stated in the bill of rights and the constitution to hlep me one bit. That we all have choices and I choice to except a job that pays me well enough to support my family, allow me the time off I need to parent my children myself and to volenteer our time as a family instead of looking to others within our government for help...

Okay, we agree to disagree. Now go, fly, get more sheeple to register before you miss your quota for the day and enjoy the freedoms I fought for during desert storm and my taxes that I'm sure you've dipped into now and again.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
reply to post by jibeho

I suppose you are also one of those parents that doesn't want schools/government teaching your children about birth control, evolution and other such "sensitive issues" that the right-wingers get up in arms about. If you fall in that category, then fine..send your kids to a private learning institution where they will be taught that kind of narrow mindedness. That is all we need...another generation of religions fanatics.

Nice uneducated and unfounded response. Generalize much? Let me generalize about you. You haven't read either bill yet. You don't have kids and you live in your parents basement.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Nice uneducated and unfounded response. Generalize much? Let me generalize about you. You haven't read either bill yet. You don't have kids and you live in your parents basement.

1 of 3 ain't bad on your generalization. I don't have kids. But thanks for the unfounded, baiting comment. You really contributed didn't ya.

I bet my mark was better than 1/3 on my generalization.

By the way, what does a parent's basement smell like?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

1 of 3 ain't bad on your generalization. I don't have kids. But thanks for the unfounded, baiting comment. You really contributed didn't ya.

I bet my mark was better than 1/3 on my generalization.

By the way, what does a parent's basement smell like?

My parent's basement smells like pickling spices, laundry soap and an occasional whiff if moth balls and cedar.

Beyond that comment their is no point in reasoning with you. Did you even read my post about targeting 'disadvantaged youth'? If you agree with that portion of the bill then god help you.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Why doesn't he ask this guy to chip in 20% of his wealth?

I mean, he'd still have 8.8 Billion all for himself,
and Mr. "Change We Can Believe In"
would be able to inject 2.2 Billion into his admirable and noble causes...

Why do We 'The Robbed' People have to roll up our sleeves even more?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Psynarchist

Ha ha Soros is to busy stumping and spending for the Obamacare campaign. The man has tremendous thumbs. He can fit every pinhead moonbat under them while still controlling the puppet strings with his remaining digits.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

If they had used the word "focusing" instead of "targeting" would you be OK with it? is it just the language used? Because, I think the "disadvantaged" children would benefit from this the most. Disadvantaged children from poor neighborhoods or disadvantaged in the sense of no real parenting...these kids need positivity in their life. And if recruiting them for community service, which WOULD provide benefit to them....Well, that's a good thing. Otherwise, the criminal element is much more likely to continue on into the next generation of "disadvantaged" kids.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psynarchist
Why do We 'The Robbed' People have to roll up our sleeves even more?

Exactly. Let the people who want to volunteer volunteer. But don't force the ones who don't, because that'll only make them angry.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Who decided it would benefit them? Do they get a say in it? Do you think they like being singled out because the government considers them "disadvantaged"? No. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The president and first lady Michelle Obama did their part at Fort McNair, helping volunteers load 15,000 backpacks with books, healthy snacks and toys for children of the men and women of the armed forces.

Support your war economy today!

I find the type of volunteer work they did, to be pretty disturbing. They could have helped distribute food to homeless folk, or did some environmental work. But he chose to do this. For the kids! right? who can argue about stuff for the kids, nobody.

Well everything about this guy is totally calculated, that's what makes it so easy to see through. I just shake my head. This man was elected to try and extricate you people from war, and now he's wearing a USMC cheerleader uniform.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

reply to post by jibeho

If they had used the word "focusing" instead of "targeting" would you be OK with it? is it just the language used? Because, I think the "disadvantaged" children would benefit from this the most. Disadvantaged children from poor neighborhoods or disadvantaged in the sense of no real parenting...these kids need positivity in their life. And if recruiting them for community service, which WOULD provide benefit to them....Well, that's a good thing. Otherwise, the criminal element is much more likely to continue on into the next generation of "disadvantaged" kids.

You didn't read it!! Once again.

(36) DISADVANTAGED YOUTH- The term `disadvantaged youth' includes those youth who are economically disadvantaged and 1 or more of the following:
`(A) Who are out-of-school youth, including out-of-school youth who are unemployed.
`(B) Who are in or aging out of foster care.
`(C) Who have limited English proficiency.
`(D) Who are homeless or who have run away from home.
`(E) Who are at-risk to leave secondary school without a diploma.
`(F) Who are former juvenile offenders or at risk of delinquency.
`(G) Who are individuals with disabilities.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke

Who decided it would benefit them? Do they get a say in it? Do you think they like being singled out because the government considers them "disadvantaged"? No. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Again, you continue to stand on the position that ANY of this is forced. Again, I ask you to provide documentation that this would be forced. Again, you can't. Please learn the difference between voluntary vs. forced servitude. There is a tremendous difference.

And, I agree with you...if you want to volunteer then do so, but if you don't want to then you shouldn't have to....but nowhere has it been (even implied) that there will be forced volunteerism.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

yes, I have read it....just because I did not give an all encompassing definition of disadvantaged does not mean I did not read it. AND...every politico socioeconomically disadvantaged youth you specifically listed....well, tell me one single one of those segments of the population that would not benefit from an incentive based community volunteer program.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Who are you to decide what is and isn't good for certain people?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by drmgj
It seems to me that sometimes "freedom" is being used as "me first". Maybe if you guys stopped complaining about how Obama is taking away your "freedoms" and did something for your comunities, the United States wouldn't be such a total and complete disaster.

Hahaha, so it's OUR fault that the banks got bailed out, that Billions more were sent to the War on Terror, that we're in an economic crisis, that jobs have gone overseas, that people defaulted on their mortgages, that unemployment rises?

What a joke.

What do you want the poor, sick, weak unemployed families living in tent cities to do for you today?

Get a grip, the reason most of us are living in this sort of crap is because a few are living it up with billions to their name, in huge mansions on green hills with fresh air and organic 5-star meals... Maybe you should take your guilt trip to them.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Forget PC. Most people in this country are stupid, ignorant, and uneducated, including those that have gone to college. That includes police, judges, lawyers, and doctors. People get sued over BS, taken in by the police for breaking laws that do not exist, given orders that are against the law by the judges that are supposed to know the law, the list goes on and on. You have people in management at what is supposed to be one of the most intelligent organizations in the world saying that KNOWLEDGE and PROCEDURES that are REQUIRED to be followed or you lose your job, forget the literally BILLIONS of dollars that it could cost the U.S., should be common knowledge and not be written down. Passed on by word of mouth. Business's that require people to work overtime for free and people who will do it because THEY ARE LUCKY TO HAVE A JOB. Stupidity all around. Than you want to FORCE all these people together to work together for whatever reason? Talk about a recipe for disaster!

Most people I know stay away from as many people as possible except for limited situations such as a occassional party or church for this very reason. The only way to stay out of trouble these days is to stay AWAY from people on a general basis. You can see on these threads how uncivil people are to each other. Put everyone who has answered this thread in the same room and what do you think would happen?

So why do it? Possibly to identify those who will not follow authority merely because they are told to. First you identify those who refuse to volunteer. Those that do go to avoid trouble will than be identified when in the group when given stupid, idiotic, asinine orders or who refuse to accept a arbitrary ruling by whoever is made an authority for the volunteers. There you go! You now know who to arrest for the BETTERMENT of the COMMUNITY. They are those that refuse to accept whatever they are ordered to do. As to what will happen to those that stay. Read up on brainwashing methods, coercive pursuasion, scientology methods of control.

Sorry. Been around to long, seen to many things occur to many times.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke

Who are you to decide what is and isn't good for certain people?

No offense, but how old are you? You got to be young...to be so saucy and blatantly misrepresenting what I have said. I didn't say it was good for everyone, and I did say this was VOLUNTARY. So, where did I say that this, or anything else for that matter, is good/bad for any CERTAIN person.

And BTW, who are you to say it isn't good? It's nice how a coin, just like OPINIONS, have 2 sides.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

reply to post by jibeho

Disadvantaged children from poor neighborhoods or disadvantaged in the sense of no real parenting...these kids need positivity in their life.

Disadvantaged from poor neighborhoods need nothing other than a life rope thrown to them to take them out of their poverty.

Why the song and dance when the answer is simple?

Poverty is created by the profiteering of a few,
and we can totally do without them.

We do all the work, all the organizing, all the thinking, and all they do is lay claim to property of means of production and natural resources.
All excess produced goes straight into their fat wallets while disadvantaged kids flip burgers for 5 bucks an hour.

Disadvantaged kids need to get out of poverty, not do even more unpaid labor for the fat of the land.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I recommend skimming over H.R. 1388. It's all in there.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psynarchist

Disadvantaged kids need to get out of poverty, not do even more unpaid labor for the fat of the land.

I highly doubt that any poverty stricken child, with the desire for higher education, would look at community service in exchange for college tuition as unpaid labor. This opens doors to so many that have so little.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join