It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Community service is a national duty

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke
So when are we going to start getting punished for not going out and "volunteering"? (I love how they call it volunteering but force people to do it. George Orwell is turning over in his grave.)

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Totakeke]

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....where are people being FORCED? Show me...prove it...I know, you can't. If you mean that a judge may punish folks by sentencing them to community service, then you are WAY off base. Judges have been doing that for decades....but hey, let's all let Obama take the fall for that. I say that community service is a damn sight better than jail time.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Somebody on page 2 just posted some text proving that the services are, indeed, mandatory.

@Rams59lb: Thanks.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Judges have been doing that for decades....but hey, let's all let Obama take the fall for that. I say that community service is a damn sight better than jail time.

I'm am not sure "Now" why I am wasting my time, you obviously have registered alread, possibly a volenteer recruite of disinformation but YOU ARE NOT LISTENING.

The Judge read a letter stating to sentence those who qualify for community service to United We Serve or AmeriCorp as their ONLY option or prision time to enforce there bill... How much more clear do you need it. But I guess a sitting Judge going live on a radio show reading the letter from the legislatures is a lie as well.... You anybody say disinfo agent?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Somebody on page 2 just posted some text proving that the services are, indeed, mandatory.

@Rams59lb: Thanks.

Ummm....NO it does not say "services are mandetory". It uses words like whether and could be...sounds like this is an exploratory option...not a mandate. BUT even then, it goes on to state that these "exploratory options" would be consistent with "a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds." A Mandate would contradict that statement.

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It seems to me that sometimes "freedom" is being used as "me first". Maybe if you guys stopped complaining about how Obama is taking away your "freedoms" and did something for your comunities, the United States wouldn't be such a total and complete disaster.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by drmgj

I would love to do something for my community, but not when it's forced on me. I believe this is an example of reverse psychology. If you tell people to do something, they won't do it. People volunteer out of the goodness of their heart.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by drmgj
It seems to me that sometimes "freedom" is being used as "me first". Maybe if you guys stopped complaining about how Obama is taking away your "freedoms" and did something for your comunities, the United States wouldn't be such a total and complete disaster.

YES!!!! Someone gets it. Whew, thank you. Star for you...not just because you are right, but also because you are using COMMON SENSE.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by drmgj

No doubt, you are so correct!

The issue for me is not Obama, as I've said in this thread I DO volenteer on my own and wish more people would instead of driving by all the devistation around them but I "speaking for myself" believe in people doing things because they want to not because they have too regardless of who is the damn President!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I'm guessing you're also for mandatory vaccinations? Again, I'd be happy to volunteer but it isn't really volunteering when someone forces it upon you, is it?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

That is the point but "your a hater" if you question the motives of any admin for profiting off of the backs more then they already do and as they've done throughout history... No to mandating service and no to vaccinations. Opp's I need to get in my hiden room as I hear the black hawks above my house lol...

link   

I'm guessing you're also for mandatory vaccinations? Again, I'd be happy to volunteer but it isn't really volunteering when someone forces it upon you, is it?

I'm not for mandatory ANYTHING. But again, this just like vaccines, is not mandatory. And Again, where are people being FORCED to VOLUNTEER (what an oxymoron)?

link   

Come back to this thread when you have read through hr. 1388 and maybe you will have a better understanding of what is in this bill. As a father of two I don't like this one bit. My kids will learn from the examples set forth by me and my wife. The govt. has no place in my home when it comes to teaching my children about service.

We already volunteer at the the community and church food bank. We deliver meals for Meals on Wheels twice a month. That is all we have time for but it means something to us. When Big Brother pushes his agenda all meaning is lost.

this is from an earlier thread on the topic.

They will be targeting Disadvantaged Youth for National Service:
First they Define Disadvantaged Youth. Apparently, you are disadvantaged if you have a disability or if you lack proficient English Skills.

(36) DISADVANTAGED YOUTH- The term `disadvantaged youth' includes those youth who are economically disadvantaged and 1 or more of the following:
`(A) Who are out-of-school youth, including out-of-school youth who are unemployed.
`(B) Who are in or aging out of foster care.
`(C) Who have limited English proficiency.
`(D) Who are homeless or who have run away from home.
`(E) Who are at-risk to leave secondary school without a diploma.
`(F) Who are former juvenile offenders or at risk of delinquency.
`(G) Who are individuals with disabilities.

SEC. 1313. SELECTION OF NATIONAL SERVICE PARTICIPANTS. Section 138 (42 U.S.C. 12592) is amended--
(1) in subsection (a), by striking ‘conducted by the State’ and all that follows through ‘or other entity’ and inserting ‘conducted by the entity’; and (2) in subsection (e)(2)(C), by inserting before the semicolon at the end the following: ‘, particularly those who were considered, at the time of their service, disadvantaged youth’.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I was referring to the swine flu vaccine which looks like it will be mandatory (as soon as they finish adding the mercury to them).

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Meals On Wheels
I love it, but again I can asure all of you that "Aggie" has registered already and was probablly one of the first 50 to sign up and that's great if it gets you out there to help out if you weren't before... That is honestly great to help, I guess the point is in the fact that it takes this push for a call to DUTY for people serve. That is really the point that is being missed here. There has alwasys been a call to serve within our communities but who signed up then?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

You make it seem like they are going to come take your kids and enslave them in some sort of reeducation concentration camp. I believe that this program will provide college grants to those youth that CHOOSE to participate. Hell, I wish I had that option, as I'm still paying off student loans I accrued over 10 years ago. Lighten up man, this is not about slavery, it's about bettering America (the country benefits from the volunteer service and the youth benefit from not having to pay for a higher education). This is a WIN WIN situation.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

So now we have to bribe people to volunteer. Great.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I was referring to the swine flu vaccine which looks like it will be mandatory (as soon as they finish adding the mercury to them).

That is just a totally outlandish thing to say. You have been reading into too many conspiracy theories here on ATS. Nothing in this country will ever be mandatory...that is except for taxes...but that's another story...one which we HOPEFULLY would be on the same side of.

Just wanted to add....if the swine flu vaccine were to be mandatory, then HOW do you think they could even begin to enforce that? They can't! And Wont!

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

So now we have to bribe people to volunteer. Great.

You call it a bribe...I call it a FAIR TRADE OFF! Either way...IT"S VOLUNTARY.

On a side note, with your way of thinking...my job BRIBES me to come there and do my job...it must be a bribe, because that is what keeps me going back to my job...and they certainly are not going to pay me if I don't produce for my employer.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
reply to post by jibeho

You make it seem like they are going to come take your kids and enslave them in some sort of reeducation concentration camp. I believe that this program will provide college grants to those youth that CHOOSE to participate. Hell, I wish I had that option, as I'm still paying off student loans I accrued over 10 years ago. Lighten up man, this is not about slavery, it's about bettering America (the country benefits from the volunteer service and the youth benefit from not having to pay for a higher education). This is a WIN WIN situation.

Unfortunately, you have already taken your first sip of the proverbial Kool Aid. This is going to be a school based initiative as well. Again this passage from hr 1388. Read the Bill!!! There are provision to create 'campuses' formally referred to as camps .

1. Section 111 –
“School-based service learning programs promote service-learning as a strategy to… engage students in meeting community needs with demonstrable results, while enhancing students' academic and civic learning; and… `
(B) developing service-learning curricula, consistent with State or local academic content standards, to be integrated into academic programs, including an age-appropriate learning component that provides participants an opportunity to analyze and apply their service experiences…
(2) implementing, operating, or expanding school-based service-learning programs, which may include paying for the cost of the recruitment, training, supervision, placement, salaries, and benefits of service-learning coordinators, through distribution of Federal funds by State educational agencies, Territories, and Indian tribes made available under this part to projects operated by local partnerships among-- `
(A) local educational agencies; and
`(B) 1 or more community partners that `(ii) may include a private for-profit business, private elementary or secondary school, or Indian tribe (except that an Indian tribe distributing funds to a project under this paragraph is not eligible to be part of the partnership operating that project);

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

So when are we going to start getting punished for not going out and "volunteering"? (I love how they call it volunteering but force people to do it. George Orwell is turning over in his grave.)

Exactly! Remember, the Income Tax is officially voluntary. Try not to pay and see how voluntary it is.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join