It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Community service is a national duty

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Now did he actually use the word "duty"? It sounds to me that he is saying that if you love your country and are patriotic, then one should do their part to keep this nation great. To use the word duty is to imply that this "duty" is written or implied in our constitution...which it is not. However, after reading the source of the OP....I may be blind, but I did not see Obama quoted as using the word duty anywhere in it. And in my opinion, anything less than declaring that all americans have a "duty" is about accurate. Honestly, if you love living in the US, should you (i.e., all of us) want to do our part?

This is just more Obama bashing at it's finest.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You make many good points, but how did we get this way?

ill tell you. It was the government giving us all big fancy homes and advocating independance, self-reliance and how everybody is different. Not to mention all the fearmongering. They did their best to split us up, so why put us back together?

I think the only was for our communities to really start working together is for the government to pack its bags and let communities fight and trade for themselves. then, true Communities would form

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
To me, all this kind of, takes the joy of helping away!
In fact it makes me not want to volunteer.

H.R. 1444:
www.govtrack.us...
Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act -
Establishes the Congressional Commission on Civic Service to make recommendations to Congress for:
(1) improving the ability of individuals to serve others;
(2) training leaders in public service organizations to better utilize individuals committed to national service and volunteerism as they manage human and fiscal resources;
(3) identifying solutions to the barriers that make it difficult for some individuals to volunteer or perform national service;
and (4) building on the foundation of current service and volunteer opportunities. Specifies topics to be addressed by the Commission, including deterrents to service, a mandatory service requirement, and the need for a public service academy.2009-2010 Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Therefore, the idea behind this service is great! It may be abused, and it may turn out to be another of the many nails in the coffin of our freedom, but for now, I support it. I reserve the right to yank my rug of support at the first sign of abuse!

Well, my friend keep your hands on that rug, as politicians have shown their abuse, as the police have shown their abuse so will follow organizations needing FREE labor backed by this bill and the support of this administration. I do agree that people need to do more to help their fellow man but to mandate anything like this will always be abused!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is a quote from Serve.gov the website for Obama's pet project.

This summer, President Obama is calling on all of us – young and old, from every background, all across this country – to participate in our nation’s recovery and renewal by serving in our communities. From June 22 to September 11, United We Serve will begin to engage Americans from coast to coast in addressing community needs in education, health, energy and the environment, and community renewal.

www.serve.gov...

What does he mean by engaging Americans from coast to coast?? Smells like recruitment to me. Let's just hope that they don't 'engage' me.

United We Serve is support network for military families and it would seem that Obama want to use them to do his leg work. Will they portray you as unpatriotic if you do not volunteer? This all just stinks.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rams59lb
I do agree that people need to do more to help their fellow man but to mandate anything like this will always be abused!!!!!!!

Could you please direct us to this "mandate"? Seriously, I see no mandate, only a vision of rebuilding a great country based upon the generosity, good will and patriotism of American citizens. The word mandate is not even close to the reality of things. Mandate is forced, I don't see any language that even implies forced servitude.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
This is just more Obama bashing at it's finest.

Just my 2-cents

Well "Aggie" heres your change from your 2-cents. It isn't Obama bashing, it's facts and when ever a discusion involving Obama occurrs it doesn't always mean that it's bashing HIM! Bush was garbage and evil so prove the point wrong instead of being one of those who simply dismisses issues based on facts with 'You just hate Obama" or "You just don't like black people"... I agree that everybody should do their part! But it shouldn't be a mandate with punishments if you don't chose to partake.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yeah let's all work FOR FREE while the government and the FEDERAL RESERVE ROBS US BLIND!

You've got to be kidding me!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have been concerned about this since it came out a few months ago. Like another poster, I, we all, serve by paying taxes. Income tax, sales tax, property tax, school tax and on and on. We even pay taxes on our income taxes.

I am getting ready to retire and feel I have finally earned the right to do what I want when I want to do it. I really think they are going to push retirees because we draw SS. At the same time they may have less luck forcing us into something that changes what we have worked for all our life.

Yes, this makes me mad.

edit for grammer

[edit on 26-6-2009 by liveandlearn]

[edit on 26-6-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

What does he mean by engaging Americans from coast to coast?? Smells like recruitment to me. Let's just hope that they don't 'engage' me.

Recruitment, as you put it, is nonetheless voluntary. What is wrong with recruiting VOLUNTEERS to work at the community level to better our nations infrastructure, clean polluted habitats and help out our less fortunate citizens. If it's voluntary, then how does it affect you?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I do agree that people need to do more to help their fellow man but to mandate anything like this will always be abused!!!!!!!

Could you please direct us to this "mandate"? Seriously, I see no mandate, only a vision of rebuilding a great country based upon the generosity, good will and patriotism of American citizens. The word mandate is not even close to the reality of things. Mandate is forced, I don't see any language that even implies forced servitude.

The potential mandate lies within HR 1444 which is still committee. Obama is just starting to test the waters to see who bites. If you want to 'volunteer' just go to serve.gov and you can sign yourself right up.

www.govtrack.us...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Your going to blow me off with my answer but as I tell my children I'll help you with your homework but you have to put in the work yourself to learn the subject. Put two and two together, if it is a bill that is required then it comes with a penalty.

When a sitting Judge here locally calls a radio station reading a letter that he along with other Juvanile Judges recieved informing them of an increase to come within there courtrooms due to the rise in mischief charges throughout the summer for them to utilize "United We Serve" as the only option for community service then it is obvious of their intent.

But that's okay with me "The Sky Is Falling" is the message you hear and not what is really being said.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I would prefer if our politicians would focus on serving us.

Leave the morality play for our religious institutions and civic societies, such as they are.

Since when does the Federal Government, Legislative Branch, and Judicial get to decide that simply taking the fruits of our labor out of our working yearly income isn't enough?

Three months of every year my labor goes to to them already!

I was wondering, will their be a public record of who serves and who doesn't (i.e. 'breaks the law')? Will the Kennedy and Bush kids have to serve? If so, doing what? Can MY kids do that? What about people who are ideologically offended or may observe certain religious constraints in such matters? Will their be 'exceptions' and are they open to all?

Will Prisoners be used for some of this 'service'? Or are WE the only prisoners at this point.

Take my money, take my time, limit my movements.... is a pattern emerging yet?

This kind of drivel is a moral knife, splitting the genuinely motivated from all others who can't oblige - regardless of reason. It WILL create a new 'classist' separation between us... which is EXACTLY what these kinds of thing ALWAYS do.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Well "Aggie" heres your change from your 2-cents. It isn't Obama bashing, it's facts and when ever a discusion involving Obama occurrs it doesn't always mean that it's bashing HIM! Bush was garbage and evil so prove the point wrong instead of being one of those who simply dismisses issues based on facts with 'You just hate Obama" or "You just don't like black people"... I agree that everybody should do their part! But it shouldn't be a mandate with punishments if you don't chose to partake.

No, it is bashing when falsities like "duty" are incorporated into negative discussion about him in this scenario. That is no different than someone using the term "African American" and then someone like the OP twisting what was said and making it seem like the "N word" was used in place of "African American". If one does not want to be viewed as being a "hater" then one should get their facts straight and quit putting words into someone's mouth.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Recruitment, as you put it, is nonetheless voluntary. What is wrong with recruiting VOLUNTEERS to work at the community level to better our nations infrastructure, clean polluted habitats and help out our less fortunate citizens. If it's voluntary, then how does it affect you?

Please read through HR 1388. I have read it thoroughly and have started and participated in countless threads on the topic. It seems innocent enough until you start getting into the nitty gritty so to speak. The verbiage contained within the bill is alarming. The bill targets 'disadvantaged and at risk youth' and even identifies children in foster care as ideal recruitment candidates.

There are actually six versions of the bill so just go through the last one. INcedently, all of the content within hr 1444 was formerly included in hr 1388. It was removed from one of the versions and placed into its own bill.

Happy reading
thomas.loc.gov...:H.R.1388:

[edit on 26-6-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

"Aggie" It appears that you are one that concentrates on mute issues instead of the topics, the message in the OP is Mandating Volenterisum and nothing more. Not that he's black, African American or bla, bla, bla... This is not a racist topic. IT'S a "FREEDOM" topic silly... No haters here at least not me.

link   

The potential mandate lies within HR 1444 which is still committee. Obama is just starting to test the waters to see who bites. If you want to 'volunteer' just go to serve.gov and you can sign yourself right up.

www.govtrack.us...

POTENTIAL MANDATE....huh! Does potential mean that you are reading too much into broad terms, because when it comes to things like this, it either IS or IS NOT. Potential....LMAO....The potential exists in this world for ANYTHING to happen. Potential means nothing.

link   
So when are we going to start getting punished for not going out and "volunteering"? (I love how they call it volunteering but force people to do it. George Orwell is turning over in his grave.)

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

www.govtrack.us...

POTENTIAL MANDATE....huh! Does potential mean that you are reading too much into broad terms, because when it comes to things like this, it either IS or IS NOT. Potential....LMAO....The potential exists in this world for ANYTHING to happen. Potential means nothing.

HR 1444 has not passed yet. Rest assured that it will. Read it for yourself. Especially number 6. There is your mandatory potential. I hate doing peoples homework for them.

(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink 21 (6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink 2 (7) The need for a public service academy, a 4-year institution that offers a federally funded undergraduate education with a focus on training future public sector leaders.

www.opencongress.org...

[edit on 26-6-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

It wont happen until 2010 in small increments as this Admin will be putting out Ad's on TV throughout the rest of the year, he is going to announce on 9/11 at ground zero a day of "Service" and will see where they are with who has on their own who has registered and then will start the hard push to inforce it. These are facts already covered in the MSM which I found funnyier then hell when they weren't hiding it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join