It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Community service is a national duty

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Wow.
So now not only are Americans paying higher taxes but they MUST donate what little free time they have for families and leisure to VOLUNTARY service OR ELSE BUSTER.

Sounds like extortion to me.

Working for FREE in a CAPITALIST society, whod've thunk it.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The thing that I have noticed that comes through loud and clear through out this thread and surely poisons the minds of the children growing up in this country, is that work and responibility is bad..... Right from the start people associate community service with punishment..... People I know have children living in their homes that are over 30 that don't work because they have been conditioned to view getting off of their butts and committing to responsibility and waking in the morning and going to a job as an unpleasant experience.... People in Mexico grow up contributing to the well being of their families and communities and work is considered a privilege, and even he lowest paying hardest dirtiest work is done with a sense of pride...... If and when there are volunteer programs initiated to teach skills and work ethics to young people that have grown up without learning these things, I will be happy to sign up in any capacity that I am qualified to do in order to contribute to this cause.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Rams59lb

The president and first lady Michelle Obama did their part at Fort McNair, helping volunteers load 15,000 backpacks with books, healthy snacks and toys for children of the men and women of the armed forces.

Oh PAHLEEEEZE! Like Michelle in her french designer sneakers is going to break a sweat? Like she's really going to toil for hours helping people out of the goodness of her heart? Bah!

There is soooooooo much more that I could say ...

[edit on 6/26/2009 by FlyersFan]

well do us a favor and don't because that last bit was pure garbage and contributes absolutely nothing to ats.

There is nothign about what obama said that makes it mandatory. You peope have been taking the fear mongering hype lessons from Fox news.

there is nothing wrong with the president, who certainly isn't the first, to ask people to serve their community. oh the horrors!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
The thing that I have noticed that comes through loud and clear through out this thread and surely poisons the minds of the children growing up in this country, is that work and responibility is bad..... Right from the start people associate community service with punishment..... People I know have children living in their homes that are over 30 that don't work because they have been conditioned to view getting off of their butts and committing to responsibility and waking in the morning and going to a job as an unpleasant experience.... People in Mexico grow up contributing to the well being of their families and communities and work is considered a privilege, and even he lowest paying hardest dirtiest work is done with a sense of pride...... If and when there are volunteer programs initiated to teach skills and work ethics to young people that have grown up without learning these things, I will be happy to sign up in any capacity that I am qualified to do in order to contribute to this cause.

I totally agree with this statement. It is still a slippery slope to allow the government to 'require' service. But I say it is great! A lot of college degrees require free service hours. A lot of countries require military service. I have always thought that 2 years in the military or government service should be required if you want to be eligible for Medicare, WIC, Foodstamps, etc.

Why have any unemployment? Can't find work, go volunteer with someone or join the military. Stop expecting something for nothing from your government. Take some initiative. Take some responsibility. There is a reason they call it Big Brother! Live under its tutelage and by its rules, or step out on your own two feet, but do something!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by Rams59lb

Well where I come from community service is a punishment.

Maybe being american is a crime in his eyes?

Is there a punishment if you do not obey?

Edit to add: "Serving our country is not just something that we should expect our members of our armed forces to do," Obama said, "That's something that we should expect all of us as citizens to do"

Erm, but military forces are paid!

[edit on 26-6-2009 by XXXN3O]

He wants us to serve him and his ideals. Seig heil!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This country isn't the same as it was when I grew up.... Even though there was a military draft in effect during the Vietnam war 67% of the forces were volunteers.... Yes we were paid as recruits about $90.00 a month and as a combatant I was paid between $165.00 and $185.00 a month..... I volunteered to join the Marines even though had two options at my disposal that would have prevented me from being drafted.... You can't force a person to volunteer to serve in this country but if you are legally ordered to do something, either you do it or face the consequences.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant

Work and Responsibility is awesome, self motivation is genious and 30+ yr olds that live with they're partents with a mindset of everything being handed to them is not a life at all. This thread is about MANDATING VOLUNTEERISM! Not helping out their fellow man. Obviously you haven't read the thread but your comments are appreciated as it shows who the real followers, sheeple are and who the true leaders reallly are! I perfer to lead, not follow. I love to work, GET PAID to feed my family and VOLUNTEER my time because I want to not because it's going to be a MANDATE!

[edit on 06/03/2009 by Rams59lb]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Sigh...

To all the people who think those of us who are not pleased with these developments are just selfish lazy bastards (or even better: lazy selfish typical Americans):

If you, even for a second, can turn your beguiled eyeballs off Obama's smile, and listen to what he proposes instead of the sweet melody his voice chants, you will find the utter unfairness of the proposed ideas and concepts.

Why?

Because labor is for the masses, and the masses are poor working class to begin with.
Imagine a government employee who maintains public gardens and parks loses their job through budget cuts or their State being broke, only to get a phonecall from Obama the next day asking him politely to volunteer to clean the park?

The guy would be back at his old job, but without pay.
I know this sounds extremely exaggerated, but with the extreme wealth generated by the upper classes I do not for a moment believe the Obama's are pleading to us from the bottom of their hearts.

If they want people involved, healthy, well-fed, educated and employed they need to ask the richest among us to throw some billions in the community-bucket, not ask the poorest among us to chip in some unpaid labor.

This is not about lazyness, this is about equality, fairness and justice.
The rich get richer and the homeless, hungry, unemployed poor get a pat on the back for doing volunteer labor?

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Psynarchist]

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join