It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Talk Radio Killing Itself on Purpose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
A friend and I were discussing the downward spiral of Michael Savage and Glenn Beck at work. Savage has devolved into long discussions of meatballs and marinara sauce, and Beck has turned on groups like the tea-protesters, veterans, and 9-11 truthers while openly being recorded ginning up fake tears for photo shoots and specific "patriotic subjects." My friend threw this out, and I wonder what you good people think:

"Have the big Talk Radio people been paid off to implode with a boring whimper rather than face the explosion of a fairness doctrine shutdown?" Will people just tune out and political talk radio pass away as a "fad?"

I know both of the hosts listed above are objectionable, but are they on the take to go away?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If i'm not mistaken, talk radio is expieriencing record numbers right now

From Glenn Beck's website

According to Arbitron PPM, The Glenn Beck Program on WOR Outperformed WABC by a Remarkable 77% from 9-11am and by a Staggering 96% in the 10 O’Clock Hour

Year-to-Year Glenn Beck is up 194% in A25-54 and 203% in M25-54 on WOR

From Michael Savages website

Persons 25-54

#1 AMONGST TALKERS! SMASHES HANNITY & KGO

Fall '07 - 2.6

Summer '07 - 1.6

Time spent listening is up from 3:45 to 4:15, cume is up from 35,700 to 52,800

Men 18+

Fall '07 - 4.5

Summer '07 - 3.2

Time spent listening up from 4:15 to 4:45, cume up from 55,800 to 69,900

Just sayin...
-E-

[edit on 26-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think you will find upon viewing Glen Beck that he is a disturbed child inside. Really.

It's all my own opinion, of course, but... He's got skeletons in his closet that trouble him far more than it would the average joe. A delusion that he is the center of everything and a need to self assure on every talking point. (a few weeks ago I said that.... And look! It's happening now!!! You got to wake up people! etc etc etc.) And motivated by this silly guilt, he wants to matter and project an extreme empathy as well as a divinely inspired image. You will also find that back in his "alcoholic" days he was the type to end up crying mid way through a party or disappear just so people will wonder where he went. Misguided emotions and a screaming desire to matter and be loved.

I quoted alcoholic as he was never an alcoholic or as bad as he says. He was addicted to the partying and definitely a major drama queen. Without the partying there was no alcohol and drug use was minimal at best. Anything to rationalize his over the top behavior and unstable emotions in the past that we see today with crocodile tears day after day. You can see his timely end drawing near with every outburst. If being an alcoholic is part of his life, it's in his future, not his past. He's confined to a marriage that would make normal people happy but just simply makes him normal. I think it won't be 3 years and there will be a divorce, undoing and spiraling out of control partying for him again and back to passe shock jockery.

Lately it's translating to angry attacks on like minded people! Talk about self hatred and not knowing it!

Glen Beck is a very disturbed curiosity, not an icon of any sort. Yes he is diluting the talk radio market, not at all helping it. I hope he reads this and changes his tune before it's over for him. The slope is steep man! There's a good man in there with a HEAVY burden that is not at all a burden. Just blush and get over it Glen! Life is too short.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
wow atlantica, such insight without self-important judgment. If you think like this in everyday life, and I have no indication that you do not, the world needs more people like you. And of course, by being as you are, the world will have more people like you. Kudos.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Just an observation. I've had to figure people out a long time. Glenn is an open book.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy and he is helping crack the alternative thinking taboo and allowing mainstream thought of far out possibility etc. But there's no real progress on the topics that are of highest importance. He should dig deep and reveal a certain "date/numbered topic" many talk about here. It would be the redemption of his soul and the moment of his entire career.

He just needs to relax, put down the guns, stop patting himself on the back and plugging his ventures and savvy every half hour and talk about what really matters right now.

I don't know if you are aware but I think it was his mother that killed herself. So self loathing is hereditary. He, again, needs to relax and smell the roses. He's got no debt to pay or void to fill, just an unresolved younger life. Bad news Glenn, that never resolves buddy! Got to love your kids like there's no tomorrow, tell the truth like there's no tomorrow and never be angry.

He can turn this around real fast. He's got the platform and the potential and an unwavering desire to be the "town crier". I know him well as I've had to live with my own unresolved past and see a lot of my faults in him. He probably is a better man than I.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by michael

Savage has devolved into long discussions of meatballs and marinara sauce

I heard Savage say once before that he doesn't always like to talk about politics and will just talk about what is interesting him at the moment. That is a good thing I suppose because, always talking about politics can be wearing on the mind.

top topics

join