It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hitler's Stealth Fighter" Reborn - The Horten 2-29

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Haunebu

You just keep your head in the sand where you're happy sunshine

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I love how this is turning into a thread about which side had better weapons in WWII. I'd have to give the advantage to the Germans but I don't think the U.S. was far behind. Most of the folks on this site would not even exist if the AXIS won.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe
reply to post by warrenb

I love how this is turning into a thread about which side had better weapons in WWII. I'd have to give the advantage to the Germans but I don't think the U.S. was far behind. Most of the folks on this site would not even exist if the AXIS won.

I really wonder how the world would look like today if Germany had won...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haunebu
I'm still amazed that even here most of the members that question everything else don't question the history books when it concerns World War 2.

The more the NWO's power grows, the more I wish Germany had won.

Hey mate, you need to get off your sofa and take a trip to Auschwitz in Poland and then consider the validity of your silly statement.

NWO. Grow up.

Regards

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Great find.
I cant wait to see the History Channels special on it.

I'm not entirely convinced though that it was an Anti-Radar design from the start. I remember either reading or watching something I forget which, that after Northrop built their first flying wing bomber back in the 40s which was also skinned with composite materials that during flight testing the radar personal had a hard time knowing when it was near when it flew toward them edge on.

The whole wing design is very difficult for a radar to get a return edge on also composite material mostly wood products absorb radar and reflects very little.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Northrup's flying wing design predated the Horten brother's efforts and the publication of his NM-1 in an international flight journal actually assisted the Horten's in convincing the German command that America was making great leaps in progress with that design type which helped secure funding for their own work. I would have to agree with previous posters that the stealth qualities of the Horton design were a by product of goals which had more to do with raw materials, construction facilities and efforts to increase range / performance in aircraft meant to take advantage of the weak jet engines of the time.

The concept of flying wing designs can be traced back to the 1800's and even further, the inspiration for which were the winged seeds of Maple trees among others.

A comprehensive history of flying wing aircraft design: Century of Flight

I've heard from more than one retired aircraft engineer and designer that Northrup's obsession with the flying wing design was the result of a UFO sighting involving a "Roswell" type design, i.e. "a flying wing" or "delta" type of craft. Like most of the early designs in aviation his ideas were handicapped by the engines available at that time. The Nazi jets also ran across this issue, thankfully.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Please stay on topic.

"Hitler's Stealth Fighter" Reborn - The Horten 2-29

Remember .... Aircraft Forum.

TIA

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity

I've heard from more than one retired aircraft engineer and designer that Northrup's obsession with the flying wing design was the result of a UFO sighting involving a "Roswell" type design, i.e. "a flying wing" or "delta" type of craft. Like most of the early designs in aviation his ideas were handicapped by the engines available at that time. The Nazi jets also ran across this issue, thankfully.

If that's true....

I wonder if Arnold was right. He originally said they were crescent shaped not saucer shaped but that they skipped along like "saucers" on a pond.
Looks kind of like a flying wing design to me.

Kenneth Arnold

The Kenneth Arnold sightings
Main article: Kenneth Arnold#June 24, 1947 UFO sighting
This shows the report Kenneth Arnold filed in 1947 about his UFO sighting.

The post World War II UFO phase in the United States began with a famous sighting by American businessman Kenneth Arnold on June 24, 1947 while flying his private plane near Mount Rainier, Washington. He reported seeing nine brilliantly bright objects flying across the face of Rainier.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a980453d49b3.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5126d6380c3.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 26-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
My hat off to the Germans, those were a brilliant people!

It's a shame that one man and his minions created such a bad association and bad spin on some very sound ideas from good intending Germans. I'm all for improving our own genes, but right away that raises neck hairs, doesn't it? Pity.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Show me a working "Nazi Bell" and I will get excited! This is nothing but an advanced (for the time) jet idea perception.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I hope the pilot was issued hearing protection.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Excellent post SLAYER69, a star for you.

This aircraft is without a doubt a testament to designer and despite what previous people have stated it would have given the UK, and indeed the US, a serious problem. With an ceiling (16,000 m or 52,000 ft) unattainable by contemporary fighters and indeed even those for nearly a decade later for instance the 1954 BAC Lightning managed 18,000 m or 60,000 ft.
One can scarcely imagine the potential that the intended Horton HO XVIII would have managed had it not been for the invasion of Europe by the Allied forces.
Much like many German projects of the war, it was the short sightedness and arrogance of the Nazi elite to perceive anything more than successful Blitzkrieg across Europe which prevented these weapons from advancing past the design stage.

Jensy

P.S To the ignorant bigot Haunebu, this is an aircraft forum; the clue is the picture of a plane on the forum and the name which you have to click on to get in. Your ludicrous and childish opinions are yours alone to repeat; however just because it appears you have been barred from YouTube, this forum is not the place to broadcast them instead.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jensy

We had a few in development. I wonder if there were some secret X-Planes in testing that maybe Arnold saw? They canceled the planned jet version. when the War ended. Not to take anything away from the obvious genius of German engineering.

Northrop N-1M

This aircraft, the first true flying wing produced in the United States, was developed during 1939 and 1940, and first flew on 3 July 1941 at Baker Dry Lake in California. Unstable and underpowered, but basically sound, the N-1M paved the way for Northrop's later flying wings.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
That last things I'd want to fly if I could go back to that era was anything mostly made out of wood.

USA all the way baby, P-47 Thunderbolt! P38 Lightning! X4U Corsair! You want something that can get angry and swat the little wooden nats out of the sky, something you can wreck some tanks with and save some soldiers, something that laughs at small arms fire. Heck, the Thunderbolt could and did survive BF109s dumping all their ammo into it and still get you back to England.

And yeah it's just like X-wings vs Tie-Fighters. The US had the more survivable planes, the enemy tended to lighter, faster, more maneuverable planes. The Corsair went 11:1 against the Japanese Zero; as beautiful a little plane as the Zero was, it didn't matter. Big engines, big armor, big guns all the way.

Originally posted by warrenb
Also, I wonder if George Lucas got some ideas for his crafts from things like this?

That's a definite yes, both he and Spielberg are WWII super freaks. One of the all time best Lucas Arts games for the early PC was Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe which I played on a 386sx. You could fly this plane although they called it the Gotha 229, had to look it up on wiki to see if they were the same thing. Apparently Gotha was the manufacturer. You could fly the ME 262 of course, and the ME 163 Komet, a wild but pretty much useless early rocket fighter. You could also fly all the basic German and American fighters as well and a few bombers in a campaign style series of missions.

The USA had some cool stuff too! UFO people, especially don't miss the Vought XF5U, the "Flying Flapjack" and it's prototype, the V-173.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Twin propellers, with 'drag canceling airscrews.' Semi-disc shaped body, to most people it looks like the wings are missing. It could take off at extremely low speeds and short runways. It could cruise at very low speeds as well. The Navy wanted it for carriers, but by the time it was almost ready, they were thinking jets. There was a sort of SWOTL remake for the Xbox that I forget the name of but you could fly this ridiculous but awesome plane in it. You could also fly it in Strikers 1945 but that was an arcade Neo Geo vertical scrolling shooter, like a sci-fi version of Konami's classic 1942 etc NES games.

As for the little running side battle on the NWO...Nazi Germany winning is still a very bad idea. What ya'll should really look into are the thoughts of General George S Patton late in the war. There was a Coast to Coast AM episode a few months back where a guy talked about his book where he made the case that Patton's death was no simple auto accident. Basically the idea was that Truman and/or the NWO had him killed because he wouldn't shut up about re-arming the Germans and taking down the Soviet Union while they had the chance. With four or five guys like him, the NWO wouldn't stand a chance today.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Slightly off topic,

But the Raiders of the Lost ark plane is probably closest related to the Horton HO Vc
But enlarged with a few extra turrets and a large bald shirtless chap on the top for good measure. 

Horton Ho Vc

@11andrew34

Was also a great fan of SWOTL. Funnily enough also a George Lucas related product, made by Lucasarts. The sequel for the XBOX was ‘Secret Weapons over Normandy’ with an ending basically spelling out a potential further sequel possibly named ‘Secret Weapons over Berlin’.
Unfortunately I don’t think SWO-Normandy sole as well as the original and I reckon the next one was shelved. Absolutely brilliant use of ‘what if’ German technology, albeit rather tongue in cheek in terms of how they interplay.

Jensy

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I am pretty sure the first "flying wing aircraft" flew at Kitty Hawk.It too had no fuselage was unstable and underpowered.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
George Lucas also used WWII footage to show the ILM guys how he wanted certain scenes to look. I'm sure there's footage of him talking about it on YouTube. The scene where Han Solo says "don't get cocky" to Luke was one scene he showed as an example compared to some edited WWII footage.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4a9bfba9c38.jpg[/atsimg]

Note that this craft would have had much larger wings attached to it. You can tell wings 'fit' into each side of the craft.
Still really cool looking without the wings though, just not very functional.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Haunebu
I'm still amazed that even here most of the members that question everything else don't question the history books when it concerns World War 2.

The more the NWO's power grows, the more I wish Germany had won.

Hey mate, you need to get off your sofa and take a trip to Auschwitz in Poland and then consider the validity of your silly statement.

NWO. Grow up.

Regards

To do what? To look at gas chambers that were build after the war and to look at mountains of shoes and glasses that are hollow from the inside?
Nobel Peace Price Winner and Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel confirms in his book "Night" that there were no Gas Chambers. Wake up!
Just consider how the world would have looked like if the technological breakthroughs had become the standard back than.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join