It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hitler's Stealth Fighter" Reborn - The Horten 2-29

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Before constructing their Horten 2-29 replica in late 2008, aerospace engineers from Northrop Grumman examined this craft. The only surviving example of Hitler's stealth fighter, this Ho 2-29 has rested, largely untouched, in a U.S government facility outside Washington, D.C., for more than 50 years.

Among other things, the team, using portable radar equipment, discovered that "they put some kind of carbon-type material in between the layers of plywood on the plane's leading edges," said Tom Dobrenz, a Northrop Grumman expert in stealth, or "low observable," technology, who led the Horten replica project.

"Personally, I cannot understand that being for anything other than doing something to [defeat] radar."

news.nationalgeographic.com...

The replica
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5126d6380c3.jpg[/atsimg]

The original, found in storage for 50 years
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4a9bfba9c38.jpg[/atsimg]

This is fascinating stuff

Clearly showing that Germany had advanced technology during the war.

On a side note, I believe this gives much more credibility to the German built WW2 UFO's.

Also, I wonder if George Lucas got some ideas for his crafts from things like this?

[edit on 26-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thanks for posting. This is an intriguing topic. This is an amazing design for its era and the German engineers were definitely on the cutting edge of advanced technology.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
*jumps around like a wallaby on opium*

they need to make a functional one. i want to see it fly and see how functional it is

[edit on 26-6-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Wow that is amazing, it really does look star warsy , or at the very least a concept plane.

Great find S+F

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Could be the Draco ships . hehe
Wasnt there a pilot during the ww1 claiming seing an ufo similar to this design ??

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Not wanting to take away from the Horton Brothers fine efforts but....

The use of "innovative" materials may have been born out of neccesity rather than a concerted effort to build stealth material

Its shape was naturaly radar evading but if I recall they were looking for a low drag shape to build a bomber capable of hitting the US. the stealth was a bonus

The other issue was avionics. As evidenced by Northrups Flying Wing controllability issues, its unlikely to have been a stable platform till the advent of FBW

The planes were amazing however.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I built a model of this plane when I was a kid. I was totally blown away that Germany had invented the stealth bomber in the 40's!!!

Their lack of industry and bad decisions from der Fuhrer are damn near the only thing that stopped Germany from winning the 2nd WW.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Fascinating indeed. Germany was way beyond "cutting edge" when it came to advanced designs like this. I'm curious about the radar defeating carbon material, since Germany was always a bit behind in Radar development, compared to the British.

Another ongoing discussion about this:
www.care2.com...

Not only does it appear to be radar-stealth, but it has a speed of 600 mph, combine that with the shortened detection range, this sucker could have inflicted serious damage on Britain if it had been put into production before war's end.

Is it just me or does it seem like the American aerospace industry has spent billions of dollars and the last 50 or so years making a reality of the ideas initiated by the Germans at the end of the war?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

they need to make a functional one. i want to see it fly and see how functional it is

My thoughts exactly, I've always wondered how it would really work. Especially after I hijacked it in MOH: Frontline.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I do have to wonder how stealthy it actually was from head-on, with those big compressor blades right at the front.

And again, the Germans had some innovative engineering, but they tended to blow all their resources on "magic weapons" while the US and the Russians crushed them under an avalanche of P-51's, LA-5s, T-34's, Shermans etc...

The warped perspectives of the NAZI regime made their downfall inevitable in this and many other ways IMO.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It is possible. After all, stealth was already known to some extent - British Mosquito was born much earlier (entered combat duty in 1942 if not earlier), and gave Germans a lot of headache due to its "wooden" stealth. So there is no doubt they gave this issue some thinking.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I just saw a commercial for a show about this plane coming on this sunday on the national geographic channel. Looks pretty interesting, I'm going to DVR it.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well this a VERY strange thing to see pop up after watching the Joseph_Farrell interview.

After seeing confirmed Nazis working intimately with NASA projects, hearing a concise and well presented theory on what the "bell" was all about, THIS is just plain creepy.

It even confirms a lot of what Joseph was talking about. When people say the Allies crushed Germany, that seems not to be the case. It took a lot of Aliies to "crush" one loney country.

Question.. WHY would this thing need to be rebuilt. It feels like a trophy that has been brought out, dusted off and wishes to be sat next to others.

b

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

It's amazing isnt it. I put up the same thread yesterday with the same images.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This Ho 2-29 is further proof that the Germans were continuosly able to build what for the time was qualitatively advanced, top of the line equipment for it's Armed Forces. They had also developed the first Intercontinental Ballistic Missile in the V-2 Rocket. They had one of the worlds most advanced tanks in the Tiger. This equipment, along with the fighting spirit of it's Armed Forces, has been the stuff of legend. It's just that they did not have the economy available like the U.S. to also allow the Germans to have a quantitative put-out of this equipment. They were ground down by superior numbers.

link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Thanks for posting. This is an intriguing topic. This is an amazing design for its era and the German engineers were definitely on the cutting edge of advanced technology.

ofcourse Germany is on top of their game. Just look at the Mercedes Benz starting from 1988 on up. Other then that Hitlers Machine is amazing for its time.

link   
Simply Amazing!

S & F for you my friend!

Gotta love those German's.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

doh!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bspiracy

When people say the Allies crushed Germany, that seems not to be the case. It took a lot of Aliies to "crush" one loney country.

Are you familiar with term "AXIS"? It is used not that rarely.Nazi Germany had its block too - Italy,Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Japan and its puppets.
Germany of course also had Eastern front which was their main problem, but this is due to Hitler own stupidity.
There was no chance for Nazi Germany to win, taken Soviet Union territory and manpower and Western industrial might. So with all their wunderwaffe there was really no way to win after Nazis (and then Soviets) attacked Poland.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join