It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is getting *so* bandwidth huge, chokes my computer!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
As yeahright pointed out earlier there is a Turn on low-bandwidth mode. option in the ATS store.

There is even an ATS mobile URL for your mobile phone.

That said - South Africa isn't famous for its Internet speed. I'm not going to go into detail about our frustrations and so-called "broadband" - let's just say we've learned to be patient while our data is being sent halfway around the world. With that in mind ATS is everything but slow for me. In fact this page loaded as follows:

Header data processed in 0.025 seconds
Page processed in 0.448 seconds
9 total database queries (4)

Considering everything that happens to get this page on my browser, that ain't half bad...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Indeed ATS itself is not slow at all; it's all the _javascripts included through ads that add up to quite an amount of files to be downloaded from different domains for 1 single thread page that creates the experience of ATS being slow.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by scraze

So what? The content you are presumably here for loads almost instantly, who cares if the ads drag in behind?

Are you saying you don't start reading the content you clicked in for until the ads are done loading?

Springer...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Actually I don't have problems with the loading time of the content, but that's because I have a real broadband connection, not the South African version ;D I can imagine that some people are affected. Not for one page, surely; but imagine if someone opens two pages in different tabs shortly after another - the bandwidth load of the first page will affect the load time of even the content of the second page. The first page has priority, even the ads of the first page have priority over the content of the second page. This is quite a specific case, though.

Apart from that, Javascripts need execution - users with slower computers might experience significant CPU loads when 14 domains simultaneously run their _javascripts (and flashes, sometimes). Again, this shouldn't be a problem unless multiple tabs are opened.

In my opinion, neither of those have a damaging effect to ATS, and I understand the ads are a necessary burden. I'm merely suggesting there is an effect of having ads with scripts versus ads without scripts.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Ditch the dial up.
I'm sure you have a cell phone. Get a plan with internet and get one of those usb wireless thingies for your PC.
This will allow you to connect to the internet via your cell phone provider.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by freestonew
[I am at another library just now and there is no problem I notice. the other library that I have trouble with, has older computers! They tell me that even the old computers are recycled to use as the users keep and keep growing. They might now have 50 to 70 computers and sometimes there is an hour, or more, wait time to use one of them!

It may be that the people at the place where very slow, is every bit as much a case of no systems maintenance and spyware sweeps etc.

I know libraries are never the best spec puters, public money and all that, 'puters need scandisk run once in a while as well as frequent defragging and AV and antispyware bots in place.

Sounds like the 'puters in the slow place get a lot of use so a lot of fragmentation and a lot of internet cache and track objects in the systems will be building up as well, the net objects stored to disk and cookies etc, may need flushing.

This may help a bit....

www.scribd.com...

'Puters don't look after themselves although many people seem to think they do! Lol!

Bloody dial up, ay, yeah, i remember, unfortunately.

Yep, use a more basic browser, Maxathon, Avant Browser are just two which are decent.

Firefox is fine but i prefer the UI of the others, Deepnet Explorer is very secure, has the same anti phish soft tech' as Opera browser also has now but Deepnet keeps it simple where Opera is quite complex, so for low speed chips, low RAM and connection speed, one or all of those, Deepnet is better for dialup as a secure browser for onoine transactions etc because it's 'functional' without processor hungry JAVA machines etc.

Also, Avant and Maxathon allows one to turn off everything but text, or just webpage graphics/audio and objects etc individually when needed in a drop down menu or configured as preference from the options as standard use, this for reading forums and such, blog sites etc, with low spec and/or low speed 'puters, very much faster regards page loading on 56k, Avant has a nice flash drive portable version for use anywhere greedy MS Explorer is only available.

For some more info and for others wanting more info on maintenance.
www.scribd.com...
www.scribd.com...

Plenty of other good PC/Net stuff using search function as well as a lot of other interesting ebook material.

Paxus.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by DeltaPan]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Doing a uninstall/reinstall of IE almost always improves performance.
Maybe your harddrive is near capacity?
You should also increase RAM.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Alxandro]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Id go with Chrome as a solution - I changed from IE when it came out and havn't looked back - love the features and its way faster than IE - and i shouldnt say this as an MS Partner - but the big M should be worried!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by pieman
i personally think it's because we're overloading the NSA to the point where we're clogging up the system to try to slow us down so they can cope.

Well let me set you straight on that score... no way Jose
Ain't gonna happen

The N.S.A needs the fastest computers in the world for code breaking, ect, These super computers are nicknamed "THE THINKING MACHINE" (for good reason)

Super Computer - Worlds fastest watercooled computer

Now seeing its my tax dollars going into that, and seeing as I must be filling a few gigabytes on that I think it only fair they let me have some time on it

You mean WAS the worlds fastest computer back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. OK not that long ago, but that was used from 1991 until 1997. A picture of it was literally a museum display in 2005, see here (Note this site truncates the link at the colon so you have to copy and paste the link in your browser up to the .jpg):

commons.wikimedia.org...:Frostburg-nsa-description.jpg

w:FROSTBURG (CM-5) on display at the National Cryptologic Museum in 2005.

That was 65GFLOPS? You can buy a 70GFLOP quad core home PC now, and it won't cost you millions of dollars:

As of 2008, the fastest PC processors (quad-core) perform over 70 GFLOPS (Intel Core i7 965 XE) in double precision[17]. GPUs are considerably more powerful, for example, nVidia's Tesla C1060 GPU computing card performs around 933 GFLOPS in single precision calculations[18] while AMD's FireStream 9270 reaches 1200 GFLOPS

Isn't amazing you can buy a home PC more powerful than that multi-million dollar behemoth? (Must be aliens involved to give us such advanced technology, right?---NOT, just kidding)

This might be the fastest now, it has the power of 2 million laptops:
www.guardian.co.uk...
(But who knows if the NSA or somebody has a secret computer even faster?)

Originally posted by zorgon
OH and what is this mysterious IE everyone is talking about? I have heard rumors about some ancient form of internet use back in the caveman days of computers, but this "IE" sounds like a virus to me

LOL yes that was also popular when dinosaurs roamed the earth (ok not that long ago) but I can't believe anyone still uses it for anything except Windows update and you don't even need to use it for that. Please folks, use firefox, or if you don't like that, maybe opera, but not Internet Explorer, puhleeze!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Super 'puter evolutions.

See New Scientist online.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I'd personally say use Firefox 3.5. It's currently on release candidate, and IIRC the _javascript engine is a faster and lighter one than in 3.0. Or is it the 3.6 trunk build of Firefox? Anyway, non IE is usually faster.

Quite frankly, it runs fine on this computer I'm using no problem (Firefox 3.0.11, Ubuntu 9.04, KDE 4.3 beta 2, 1.8GHz AMD Turion (single core), 1.4 GB RAM). If you're on a recycled machine (in a library) and they're using Windows, I have to wonder why, because multi user windows licenses cost a fortune....

[edit on 27-6-2009 by apex]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If you are on "dial-up":
1)

2) try using compression and drop all pictures. That way your left with mainly text and that should load much faster.

You do know it is your dial-up connection and not your computer that is slow, right???

top topics

<< 1   >>

join