It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq giant cannon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The Isrealis assasinated him in Brussels before he could finish the Iraqi supergun.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Gentlemen ; doyour research. When I served W88 in Turkiye, both Greece and Soviet Armenia had special access to N weapons. None of them do today 2 /2010 So please, no worries... Arslan Gray

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bbc100

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Beancounter72]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
for anyone interested who lives in the UK, this super cannon is included in an exhibition at Tate modern:

everydaylifestyle.wordpress.com...

www.tate.org.uk...

Awesome exhibition, Saddam was influenced by the first star wars film, even the fedayeen's helmets were copied from the Darth Vader helmet...no joke....!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I seem to remember pictures of this cannon in the news after gulf war part 1.
If my failing memory serves me correctly the barrel sections were built by British engineering companies. After the gun had been dismantled, the various companies that built it were prosecuted (maybe including bae systems?), for breaking the arms embargo on Iraq. The reason I remember this is because their main defense was to claim they thought they had been building sections for an oil pipeline - An oil pipeline that needed to be rifled.
The gun itself in the pictures that I recall was assembled in a large circular pit, with the barrel laying on the side, allowing it to be rotated but not to have the elevation changed.
I'll have a look around and see if I can find the pictures.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I think it's an ION Cannon...

They still got a few on Hoth.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The Germans called the 'paris gun' long max, and the world war 2 gun that shelled Sevastopol 'schwere gustav' one shell from Gustav blew up a magazine under the bay.(something like 100 meters under the sea bed).
I read, or was told, after the 1st WW 'long max' was bricked up in a chimney at the Krupp works, to hide it from the allies, don't know if thats true or not.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega Pickle
If anyone has played Ace Combat 4, this gun is like the Stone Hendge, all most.

Stonehenge was a strategic laser system that can be indirectly fired via satalites (just like Excalibur in AC0). AC6 featured a super-gun though it was technically a giant railgun that launched missiles carrying MIRVs at a steady pace.

Btw, it was Canadians behind the Iraqi supergun, not Germans. Our lead scientist was assassinated by mossad before the supergun was completed.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Facefirst

It wasn't really based on the German guns in any meaningful way. The only thing they have in common is that they are both really big guns. Because of the nature of the things, that makes them pretty similar in general. The Iraq gun was much closer based on Gerald Bull's earlier work for the US government in project HARP, which had him launching small rocket assisted shells into space using a large gun made from two surplus 16'' battleship gun tubes welded together. The iraq gun was so large that even the smaller test version had to be built onto the side of a hill, instead of on some kind of gun carriage.

Bull's superguns don't really have anything in common with the Nazi's V3 superguns, which used a caterpillar arrangement to get more power. Bull's guns were just really big guns.

Gerald Bull invented all kinds of stuff for artillery. I guess he isn't a household name just because artillery isn't a household appliance.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
By the way, the Iraqi supergun was a project of the Iraqi space program and its intent was to launch satalites into orbit without rocket boosters.

If you want to see actual supergun weapon systems, look along the eastern Chinese coast; they're all aimed at that little island called Taiwan.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bbc100

link is broken, can't seem the image, sounds very interesting though!

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Here is a photo of the project harp gun.
en.wikipedia.org...

It too was designed by Gerald Bull

top topics

<< 1   >>

join