It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buzz Aldrin's journey from moon to alcoholism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Buzz Aldrin's journey from moon to alcoholism

www.msnbc.msn.com

When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took those famous steps that were watched by hundreds of millions, they instantly became two of the most famous people on the planet. In “Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home From the Moon,” Aldrin recounts that experience — from takeoff to splashdown — in breathtaking detail, and his harrowing return to normal life after the mission, when the astronaut battled depression and alcoholism.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I was wondering why someone of such stature would be depressed? This story is incredibly loaded with information I was not aware of; and maybe you were not neither. In any case, I always felt Buzz was forced to go silent on something and he never got used to it or comfortable with it. Any thoughts why the many years of depression?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LunarLooney1

well once youve walked on the moon where do you go from there?. Its all downhill isnt it? you will never acheive anything remotely close for the rest of your life.

well thats the feelings some of the astronauts got after returning.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LunarLooney1

I was wondering why someone of such stature would be depressed?

Depression is a disease that can strike anyone. It doesn't matter how successful a person is or what they have accomplished.

Newsman Mike Wallace, the musician "Sting", tennis player Monica Seles, successful artists such as Georgia O'Keefe, and many, many other successful people have suffered from the disease known as depression while at the height of their success.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
As others have written...depression can hit anyone. Winston Churchill, Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath, Richard Prior, Mitch Hedberg and plenty of others have suffered the 'black dog.'

In Aldrin's case I see it as just one facet of a life well-lived. He's enjoyed one of the greatest adventures experienced by any living human. It adds to the experience of life to experience the ups and downs and learn from them. Joy and sadness are what we are borne to...he's explored the extremes.

People can insinuate any cause they wish and I doubt very much he would care either way. The guy's a legend and his private issues will be a footnote in a remarkable chapter of history.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Here is the man himself:

From

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: NASA FINDS MISSING MOON LANDING TAPES

I sure would like details on his trip to the Moon.
I saw the down the ladder sequence perhaps from a rebroadcast
on a B&W TV set. I couldn't imagine having big TV cameras ready
to TV transmit the first man when no one was set to hold the
camera. And years later there were color TV broadcasts from the
Moon. By the time I got a color TV I don't think they went to
the Moon any more or stopped going shortly thereafter.
I heard of the studio theory from an Air Force officer on a
stock forum. Then later on web pages. The Moon surface always
looks fairly tame. And all the gray pigment surface layer,
how did that form. And not much to write about or I must
have miss if any astronauts detail his adventure. Jacob Astor
wrote of space missions and he perhaps only bounced ideas off
Tesla.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'd be depressed too if I was played up to be a magnificent hero, while I hid the truth of the true nature of the moon and the missions that supposedly went there - for the rest of my life.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I hear he was drinking communion wine just before the first step. The guy was drinking wine just to celebrate a step, maybe he kept celebrating when he got back to earth.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
We need a down to earth program for these Moon people.
Society has put these people through the most terrifying experience.
For What.
To make money for the Illuminati.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LunarLooney1

Thanks for that, nice read!

Which reminds me of me
I was in high spirits after graduating in College after winning for my school in an engineering competition and somewhat unofficially spearheading warp-drive research in my poor country...

Then I got a job as programmer, totally unrelated to what I used to do. Things started rolling downhill from there. Got to the point of being suicidal. It is those moments when I've lost seeing any value in my life that I found life - I've gone crazy, simply put!

I would imagine, if Buzz Aldrin kept going back to space and the Moon, he wouldn't have gone into the fit of depression. Unfortunately, life is harsh, it doesn't always go the way you wanted to, but that shouldn't stop anyone from attaining their dreams!

[edit on 30-6-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
those moon pictures always look kind of fake to me; dont know why; they look like they were done in a studio with lighting.
i think we might have gone to the moon, but im not convinced if they've showed us any real pictures of it yet.

top topics

join