It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher Discovers Method to Fully Process Encrypted Data Without Knowing its Content

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Researcher Discovers Method to Fully Process Encrypted Data Without Knowing its Content

www.physorg.com

(PhysOrg.com) -- An IBM Researcher has solved a thorny mathematical problem that has confounded scientists since the invention of public-key encryption several decades ago. The breakthrough, called "privacy homomorphism," or "fully homomorphic encryption," makes possible the deep and unlimited analysis of encrypted information -- data that has been intentionally scrambled -- without sacrificing confidentiality.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ok, I'll admit that I don't fully understand what they are saying in this article just yet, but the idea of being able to "analyse" the contents of a secured packet without first decrypting it is a bit disturbing to me. Encrypted communication was our last best hope for the time being to keep the information flowing and safe from people we don't want seeing it. Aside from the obvious financial and personal privacy issues, just the ability to block and censor SSL communication because it was "analyzed" to have certain keywords is a major problem.

www.physorg.com

EDIT TO ADD:

We propose a fully homomorphic encryption scheme -- i.e., a scheme that allows one to evaluate circuits over encrypted data without being able to decrypt. Our solution comes in three steps. First, we provide a general result -- that, to construct an encryption scheme that permits evaluation of arbitrary circuits, it suffices to construct an encryption scheme that can evaluate (slightly augmented versions of) its own decryption circuit; we call a scheme that can evaluate its (augmented) decryption circuit bootstrappable

portal.acm.org...

I think what they are doing here is "mapping" the data such that when it is encrypted it gets a specific signature. They can then analyze and filter on the signature without knowing the specifics of the data inside. For a hypothetical example, any time the word DEMOCRACY is encrypted, a X91BC is appended to an index layer on the packet.

[edit on 6-25-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
does this work without an index and is it applicable to all encryption techniques?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Im not computer savvy in the way of programming or anything, but I always has a feeling that data that got encrypted would end being like a blurred business letter or something, so basically what this guy did is make special glasses to be able to know where the date is, the address, the salutation at the bottom. he cant read it, but he knows whats where and certain things will keep appearing so overtime he would be able to decipher it anyways\

Kinda scarry, but I always knew this is the direction that information would go. I never do any banking or anything like that on the internet. Nothing too personal. you want to know about me, come look through my garbage, so i can beat you with my baseball bat and kendo stick

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

www.physorg.com

(PhysOrg.com) -- An IBM Researcher has solved a thorny mathematical problem that has confounded scientists since the invention of public-key encryption several decades ago. The breakthrough, called "privacy homomorphism," or "fully homomorphic encryption," makes possible the deep and unlimited analysis of encrypted information -- data that has been intentionally scrambled -- without sacrificing confidentiality.

What exactly do they mean by 'without sacrificing confidentiality'? Wouldn't knowing what in it sacrifice confidentiality? Not sure I understand this one.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

Yeah, I agree, but the physorg article was a bit fuzzy. The second link I posted in the OP was apparently their thesis and the abstract was readable without registration.. Still a bit hard to "get", though.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

You cannot read, sum, manipulate, or extrapolate encrypted data unless you have a cipher that can also be used to unencrypt it.

This is a basic derivation of the Public key cryptography, except the system is designed to not output the data.

The term "fully analyze" in the article is a key indicator for what they have discovered.

A way to circumvent your cipher.

-Edrick

top topics

join