It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS in serious need of a *snip* filter !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Now, I have only been an ATS member for a short period of time but it's become quite obvious to me (and in all likelyhood, to many other members) that ATS is a forum that seems to be seriously skewed towards catering to some of the most ridiculous, far fetched, idiotic and lunatic ramblings imaginable. The worst part is that these threads attract so many "favourable responses" in return that it almost boggles the imagination how any level headed, intelligent, mature and rational individual can even possibly contemplate the legitimacy of the original posters theory/hypothesis, etc. The majority of threads provide absolutely NOTHING by way of proof or evidence except the posters inane ramblings and yet manage to attract droves of positive responses.

Below is just a very small sample of threads with NO supporting proof, evidence, source material whatsoever and/or containing ridiculous subject material and yet receiving high volumes of positive and reinforcing responses:

"Timewave Zero - a Contdown to Transition" - High BS
"Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter - Will We Finally See the Moon Base ?" - Medium BS
"A Look At The Other Side - My Near Death Experience" - High BS
"Who Is Your Best Guess Who The AntiChrist Is ?" - Extremely high BS
"Paul McCartney Dies In 1966 - Replaced By Billy Shepherd" - Extremely high BS
"Something Has Changed, Timeline ?" - Off the scale BS
"Stargates Are Real" - BS
"Many of You Are Aliens" - Extremely high BS
"The ID on 'Operation Blackjack' has a secret message" - Complete and utter BS
"Vampire Encounters" - hmmm, lets see now ... more BS

and the list of similar threads without a single shred or pretext of evidence or logic just goes on and on.

And the surprising thing is not that these posters believe what they are stating (which is a sad commentary on its own) but rather the sheer numbers of responding posters who get "sucked in" ... perhaps itself a statement on the quality and standard of the mentality of a large proportion of ATS members.

In fact, there was a thread a few days ago along the lines of an unknown and unseen ATM member "helping" another ATM member achieve an out-of-the-body-experience and the number of responses asking for similar help and "offering words of support and encouragement" bordered on nothing short of the insane. How so many people could get so easily sucked into the ramblings of an individuals personal fantasy is hard to comprehend. And yet it was immediately and unquestionably accepted by 100's of posters that this original poster DID achieve an OOBE with the help of another unseen and mysterious ATS member without any evidence whatsoever... what total and complete BS !

From what I've read on this board, I have no doubts whatsoever that it really wouldn't take all that much to make up some absolutely brainless and patently ridiculous and unproveable theory, post a thread and manage to suck in a large number of responses and believers. The more bizarre and "off the wall", the greater would be the attraction ...

Sure, "freedom of speech and expression" and such like is to be encouraged but it's too bad that ATS doesn't have some kind of *snip* filter to weed out the most asinine, ludicrous and waste of time posts before they hit the boards ... perhaps then the quality of the remaining ATS posts would go up quite a few notches to the benefit of all those members with a modicum of common sense who can differentiate between being fed obvious BS and something that's worth reading and possibly commenting on.

Yes, I know that my comments and attitude is going to get me a large serving of vitriol and retaliatory flame posts but I'll bet that there are many of you members who deep down agree with my comments regarding the excessive amount of "trash threads" appearing daily on this board. Sometimes I think a large proportion of threads are created primarily so the OP can "hear the sound of his/her own typing" and to get a vicarious thrill from responses that positively encourage the delusional content of their post and do NOTHING to enrich or enhance the lives of other members.

Ok, I'm off to see what other delusional crap has been posted whilst I've been creating this thread ... no doubts, plenty.

Let the abuse begin ...

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/25/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hmm.....can't see your post...maybe the first victim of the newly proposed filter.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Heh..well you certainly have a way with words, although I certainly cannot read them without replying..??

You opinion on certain topics aside, the easiest solution is to just not read the threads that you feel are nonesense. However, I know that doesn't really strike to the heart of the matter.

I have often thought that it would be nice if there was some way for users and mods to reward members who take time to put together insightful and well thought out answers so that whenever they post, they stand out, both on thread posts and on threads. Maybe a scoring system instead of just points that would actually reflect quality of posts not just the emotional appeal to the people reading.

[edit on 6-25-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Hmm.....can't see your post...maybe the first victim of the newly proposed filter.

Yeah, sure it is .... oh, waht do we have here in another post entitled "The Conspiracy to Eliminate the Supreme Creator" ? Let me see what the BS meter reads ... yep, high BS !!!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Maybe just me but I thought that many of us were here to avoid filters to ideas. My opinion is, let all of the "information" through and let the fire separate the wheat from the chaff. Bring in the "truth filter" and many move on imo.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chemley
Maybe just me but I thought that many of us were here to avoid filters to ideas. My opinion is, let all of the "information" through and let the fire separate the wheat from the chaff. Bring in the "truth filter" and many move on imo.

And how much of YOUR time do you waste on reading threads that initially look interesting and worthwhile only to degenerate into complete and total idiotic ramblings without any foundation in reality ?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
A BS filter-I already have one it is called a brain and it is the only filter that should ever be applied to anything imo. If you think everything bs than stop reading it, it's that simple.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cancerian42
A BS filter-I already have one it is called a brain and it is the only filter that should ever be applied to anything imo. If you think everything bs than stop reading it, it's that simple.

Congratulations then ... so what excuse do the posters of BS threads use ? Obviously nothing judging by the contents of their posts.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

I agree, let all the ideas in, if you don't like a post then don't read it. You cannot put filters on free and open speech/ideas, if you did how many good ones would get thrown in the trash? If you feel somehow that you are wasting your time here then that is a good honest opinion, and you can go elsewhere, that is your choice. My time belongs to me and I will "waste" it in my own way...

[edit on 25-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

it's too bad that ATS doesn't have some kind of *snip* filter

i think they do have one . but the guy installed it backwards. i concur.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What special insights and experiences do you have that allows you to identify BS from truth? How do you know BS so quickly when you see it? It must be a special gift you have. What is your checklist for feeling something is BS?

My suggestion is to find another forum that more closely matches your reality. There are plenty around where you might feel more at home.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Having an off day?
Your OP, and subsequent posts read more like somebody put BS in your corn flakes this morning.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
...glad the words of your post finally showed up...they weren't there when I replied the first time...I suppose I am of the mind that we need equal doses of BS and truth...how can you tell one without the other...you know the drill....pleasure and pain...dark and light....

I get a lot of amusement from this sight...a welcome break on most days when I'm allowing myself to be consumed by the latest thing that I should be afraid of...but seriously, we are ALL the BS filter....that's our job.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Having an off day?
Your OP, and subsequent posts read more like somebody put BS in your corn flakes this morning.

LOLOL

Man apparently this fellow got so mad about his cornflakes he made a second account and posted 20 one liners to post a thread about how horrible ATS is...

Apparently he WAS a victim of his own desires.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zetabeam

I must say, i know where you are coming from.
I have been a member for a few years now but thats what makes ATS the success that it is.

I log on a few times a day but admit that i tell no one of my visits here because they would think i have a screw loose reading some of the subjects that people put up here.

Rather than get annoyed though i look at some of them as a cause for entertainment instead.
Works for me....

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You're not the only one who have bumped into those feelings. As others have mentioned, part of ATS is allowing the idiotic - the slogan "Deny Ignorance" partially refers to exactly that, imo. If you were to reject certain posts (or subjects, even), you would need to keep track of what's idiotic or not; since such qualitative judgments are always subjective, they have no place here.

However, I do think there are certain things we could pay more attention to. I feel like it's fair to say that some of us try to be more skeptical of information than others (skeptical as in studying the presented information; the real definition). This is only natural. However, coinciding with the level of skepticism seems to be a level of enthusiasm; the correlation seems to be negative (more skepticism = less enthusiasm). Enthusiasm is a bad choice of words, but I'm referring to how likely one is to simply agree with a reply (without necessarily adding to the conversation) or to 'star' or flag anyone presenting their stance.
If we assume for a moment that this correlation exists, the conclusion would be that a thread represents the attitudes (memory-based stances) of our collective more than its cognitions. Obviously then, as a collective, we're not lead primarily by our rationality.

To me it would be really interesting to have at least one forum where we could set up rules. For example, we could try to follow the format of the ATS debates, and/or always have a Discussion thread parallel to all threads, so there is always a place to discuss the 'meta' properties of a current subject. Of course, this means you can discuss a discussion, and also evaluate that in another discussion. Recursive, but that's how cognition works, right?
Also, it would be great to be able to get 'branched' replies, like on YT; keeping the structure of the conversation as clear as we can see it.

I've been thinking about trying to create a branched forum in which you can connect different branches if you think they are related, so you'd get a complete thought-structure of threads and posts. Postponed for now, but threads like this always stir it up again.. thanks

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zetabeam

I do agree there are a lot of wild subjects and conjecture in many of the threads. That is why one has the ability to scroll through the thread titles. That way, one can read what one wants and skip the more outrageous ones.

I read many of the more outrageous theories and ideas because I like to be entertained. There are many other sites out there to choose from, so if one does not like this one, they are welcome to go to another or start their own.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

In fact its like everything in our lives: a lot of rubble and sometimes a diamond!
When you digg in heaps of lunacy, urban legends, plain disinfo etc you can find quite a few interesting informations. And besides: reading some lunatic claims is big fun in itself!

Peace

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
You set yourself up to be judge and arbiter of other people's experiences and reality.

I'll take out-of-body experiences--something you reserve special scorn for--as an example. I've never had one but I know people who have, and they are solid, realistic, well-balanced folks for the most part. There is a whole body of esoteric and/or occult literature that has been passed down through centuries concerning this type of astral travel, and it's very interesting. I personally would like to experience it.

I will concede that I think there are people who get on some of these more outrageous threads and agree with the OP, just to egg him on and see how far out they can get.

But don't be so fast to judge what is or is not possible. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamed of in your philosophy. . ."

If you're really open-minded you'll have to concede that your own view of reality may not be the ultimate arbiter of what is true. Be willing to hear the other guy out. You might be surprised.

top topics

join