It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Michael Moore Film Bashing Bush is Blocked from Distribution

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well, CommonSense, lots of people are gonna think it stinks. MM is making his presentation on the News tonight--I just saw it on I think ABC.
It was just of Fox.
So, whatever is said---MM is getting LOTS of free publicity for his movie!!!

They're not gonna be using your username

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I'm trying to change my response. For the most part, responses to thoughtful posts take about four or five times the amount of time time for a one-liner tween flame out. I guess I'll start out by looking at the post first. The most thoughtful get the most thoughtful response. (Provided the original post isn't 16 pages of illiterate redundancy.
)

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The words Listen and Silent share the exact same letters.

Freedom of speech seems to have little or no meaning these days when it is against those who have the ability to make it silent.

Howard Stern is in a situation because he spoke out against the Bush Administration, and now this?

We have been forced to deal with the shame of a war that has made most of us of good nature sick, and today see our leaders on Arab TV trying to say that we are not all like that.

I feel shame in so many ways now that this report can only add to my frustration.

I will admit that for the first time now I am afraid of the leaders we have. and the freedoms we are losing.

It is only a movie, what harm can it do?

The same was said for the movie Passion of the Christ.

Last time I checked we still had the right to vote here in the USA, I say we better use it before that is taken away too.

The thing is, who do we vote for?

With Bush we can get more of the same.

With Kerry its not what we don't know about him its what we do!

So what choise do we really have.

Have we been living under the illusion of freedom in the USA all along and only now can see that we only have limited freedom?

I cannot believe the events of the last year, and I think it is time for everyone to wake up.

I hope this server is not in the USA, because my post may cause the FCC to shut it down.

President George W. Bush, I voted for you, and for a long time you had my full support.

To you I will say this, I wish I could take that vote back now.

If you are afraid of those speaking out against you, maybe you should LISTEN, not force them to be SILENT.

This is America ... "we the people"

You are not a supreme leader and can be elected away, and it is things like this that will do just that.

Please pardon my rant here, but I have had a long day and this was the last straw, and I am mad as hell and I am not going to take this any more!

Gazz

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
DTOM,

Ooops, big slip, real name, Oh Well. Now you know.

Sometimes I think the more Moore gets (publicity wise) the worse off he is. I certainly hope so. (Come to think of it, can you really see Moore getting anymore than 15 seconds in front of a news camera? I can't -- I don't even want to begin thinking about it. Yyuuuuccckkkkkk!)

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
After thinking about this a bit, I agree it's all a big conspiracy on Moore's part.

He finds out last year that Disney will not allow his movie to be shown. Instead of finding a new distributor, he stays on and finishes the film. Now, he makes a huge media hoopla over Disney censoring the truth. Let that stir for a few weeks/months, until everybody wants to see just what is in the movie, liberal and conservative alike. When it is finally released, he's gong to make a fortune.

He's getting the best publicity, free publicity. It's the only reason I can think of that he would stay with Miramax when he knew the movie wouldn't get distribution.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Esoterica
Right on the mark!!!

Let's face it, his movies rank somewhere below Blair Witch Trials (or whatever that was called). He wants someone else to pay for his idiotic political rants -- HE'S A LOSER AS MY 13 YEAR OLD SAYS! ( Boy, Talk about concise!!!!! ) BTW, He only wishes one of his movies could be a Blair Witch thing.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
WOW!! I guess the 'Excuse Dept.' that usually is around to put the appropriate 'Spin' on what is being said or made public was sick or something when this topic came up.

Quoted from the NY Times:
Mr. Emanuel said Mr. Eisner expressed particular concern that it would endanger tax breaks Disney receives for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Mr. Bush's brother, Jeb, is governor.

WTF is that all about??? I mean we all KNOW that 'Special Interests' play a huge part in Politics, but usually the 'Heads' of such Corp. that are actually buying up Politicians and/or Favor from the Elite, don't come right out and 'Say so themselves'!

It's this kind of thing that makes me the most angry. Not that these things happen, but that people are so 'accepting' of such activities. I mean just because we all know it happens doesn't mean that we should let it slide when we actually catch them admiting to it. Sure, this isn't exactly a Large Scale Event like 'Whitewater' or something, but it's because we allow these little 'Crimes' go that leads to the bigger ones, IMO. It's times like these that I have no sympathy for the people that are losing their Freedoms and their Country. They obviously don't care enough anymore to stand up against the criminals and their activities, so perhaps they don't deserve to live as anything else other than a 'slave'.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Thats all well and good mOjOm, but I would encourage you to read what SkepticOverlord posted on page two....may be of interest to you and what you just posted.

seekerof

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
As to those reported "tax breaks" that Disney is so concerned about and how they reflect on Jeb Bush....interesting commentary here:

Moore believes The Walt Disney Co. is worried the documentary would endanger tax breaks the company receives from Florida, where Bush's brother Jeb is governor and where Disney World is located.

"What tax break?" Florida Gov. Jeb Bush responded.

"We don't give tax breaks, that I'm aware of, to Disney," Bush said.
"I appreciate the fact that Disney creates thousands and thousands of jobs in our state."

Moore said he officially found out Monday that Miramax would not be allowed to distribute the film, but his agent learned this a year ago.

Michael Moore's Sept. 11 Documentary Looking for Distributor

Nothing but a publicity scam and all perpetuated by MMoore. He knew full well what the hell he was doing...he had a year+ to scheme this up.
Micheal?!
Want someone to fund your documentary that is going to be so damning to this current administration....dude, I can get you an e-mail address or phone number to George Soros's office....let me know, k?

seekerof

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Thats all well and good mOjOm, but I would encourage you to read what SkepticOverlord posted on page two....may be of interest to you and what you just posted.

seekerof

You mean about how Disney never intended to produce Moore's new film??

That doesn't change the issue with what I'm talking about. Disney doesn't have to produce it if they don't want. Even if the reason was that Disney, or their subsidiaries, declined the production of such Controversial material. In fact, what I'm getting at really has nothing to do with Moore's film specifically. It has to do with the motives behind the decision making process that is being mentioned in the part I quoted above. Let me try and explain:

Mr. Eisner expressed particular concern that it would endanger tax breaks Disney receives for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Mr. Bush's brother, Jeb, is governor.

You need to think carefully about what such a statement really means and ask yourself a few questions.
1.) What are the reasons behind making 'Tax Breaks'?
2.) What criteria is expected by those who fall within the guidelines of these 'Tax Breaks'?
3.) Do such 'Tax Breaks' involve the Personal feelings and/or attitudes of certain officials thereby making 'Economic Policies and Laws' into 'Tools' of coersion?

Look at that statement that I quoted and ask yourself, 'Why would Laws dealing with certain aspects of the State of Federal Economic Structure, be tied into the Personal Feelings of some Political Figures?' Is that to mean that laws are being made and unmade based on whether or not Jeb Bush likes Disney Corp. and the material it produces? I imagine that these 'Tax Breaks' include business other than just Disney. Yet, from what is being said, it would seem that if Disney, or perhaps some other business recieving these tax breaks, upsets the Ego or Personal Feelings of certain officials, those officials just might lash out and change the laws to hurt these companies. Doesn't that sound EXACTLY like BLACKMAIL to you? Not to mention that Laws, especially dealing with the economy, have nothing to do with peoples personal feelings, and shouldn't involve such things in their standings within law.

Follow the cause and effect cycle to what is being said. These 'Tax Breaks', did they come about because of 'Certain Companies' being in a partnership with 'Certain Officials' in the first place, and now must do as those Officials say or they loose their Priveledges? Or perhaps the 'Tax Breaks' came about on their own without 'Special Interests' paying Officials to create them. However, it still has the same result if some 'Companies', 'News Media', or whatever now must act in the best interest of 'Certain Officials', even in personal matters, or risk losing 'Tax Breaks' or possibly even having New Laws created that bring the company down. Do you see what I'm saying??

'Tax Breaks' have NOTHING to do with making Jeb or Dubya personal lives or personal feelings. They also should not be in danger of being removed from Law because they made someone 'angry' or 'sad' or look bad or whatever. They should be based off 'What is needed for a Strong Economy' and things of that nature, regardless of some Political Officials Moral Standings or attitudes. I mean are these 'Tax Breaks' under the Title of 'Tax Breaks for all Companies who will Kiss the Butt of the Bush Family'? No!! Because policy making of that nature would not be Democratic in the least, it would be equal to how the MOB is run.

So, whether or not Disney was or ever intened to produce the movie isn't important. Their reason in why such decisions are made however is. Also, if it's because Jeb might get mad and start screwing with the laws because of his Personal Feelings, then that means the whole system is being ran completely WRONG. That is not a DEMOCRACY, that is a MONARCHY. Or possibly even worse!!

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

As to those reported "tax breaks" that Disney is so concerned about and how they reflect on Jeb Bush....interesting commentary here:
[seekerof

So are you saying that Disney, never said anything about risking certain 'Tax Breaks', even if there were none to risk in the first place?

That Moore made up out of thin air, any type of comment of that sort. Has Micheal Eisner said anything about that comment being made?

Understand, I'm not concerned over Moore's movie. What concerns me is whether or not Eisner actually said something along the lines about not wanting to Offend Bush or Jeb or whatever. If that was a complete lie, then someone, including the NY Times, needs to start getting their facts straight before publishing them. Otherwise I would think someone is risking a possible lawsuit in printing 'False Statements' or something along those lines.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by mOjOm]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

So are you saying that Disney, never said anything about risking certain 'Tax Breaks', even if there were none to risk in the first place?

Uhhhh, ummm No.
You might want to read what I wrote again. Better yet, read the article or the other article in this thread. I know what Disney said, and I know what Jeb said, mOjOm. Your implying or asking what you have is not what I was stating nor implying.

seekerof

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Remember that quote came fom Moore's agent. Not Disney, Eisner or even Moore himself. Disney said they did not want to be involved for other reasons.

It seems to me that Moore's agent may have watched to many of Mike's own films, in which such unsubstantiated "quotes" are rampant.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Your implying or asking what you have is not what I was stating nor implying.
seekerof

Wh..wha...what??? Huh???
I'm confused

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
Remember that quote came from Moore's agent. Not Disney, Eisner or even Moore himself. Disney said they did not want to be involved for other reasons.

Exactly. So what I'm wondering is who is telling the truth and what exactly was said.

NY Times is saying that Moore's agent said that Mr. Eisner said 'such and such' about tax breaks and Jeb. Now, is NY Times making that up about Moore's agent saying that? Doubtful.
Is Moore's agent lying to NY Times about what Eisner said? Maybe.
Or is Moore's agent telling the truth and Eisner really did say that, and it's Jeb who is saying that such claims by Eisner are nonsense?

You're right in that, Moore himself hasn't actually said anything to do with what we're talking about. Mr. Eisner has yet to make an official comment at all as whether or not he worries about such things as Jeb yanking Tax Breaks over personal issues. Of course, even if he is worried about such things, doesn't mean that Jeb would or could do such a thing either. This really shows why hearsay isn't much help in finding out the truth of a situation, doesn't it? Also why it's always better to stick with quoting only that which comes directly from the source.

All the 'He said, She said' crap amounts to some bad reporting when none of it can be verified as being true. They might as well just make the stuff up all together I guess. At least then they might actually spice it up a bit more and make it worth reading! So much for credible news sources and good investigative reporting. I think I'll stick to the cartoons and word jumble from now on, since at least the toons say what they mean, and the word jumble admits that it's hiding the answers from you!

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by mOjOm]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm

Your implying or asking what you have is not what I was stating nor implying.
seekerof

Wh..wha...what??? Huh???
I'm confused

He said (for clarity), the implicative or interrogative content of your statement was not identical in content to the original stated position or implication of the author. LOL.

It would have been easier on you if he understood the difference between implication and inference - who implies and who infers.

Michael Moore is brilliant. Controversy follows him around Film Festivals and Award Ceremonies, people talk about him and banning his content, there is even more Bush-Disney "conspiracy" uncovered, discussion forums are abuzz with flame wars, and people go to see his movie - all on a decidedly limited PR budget and low-fi strategy. Brilliant.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   

as quoted by mOjOm
You're right in that, Moore himself hasn't actually said anything to do with what we're talking about

Huh?
He hasn't.
Been to his site yet?
Here, allow me:
Disney Has Blocked the Distribution of My New Film... by Michael Moore

The fat slob is making this into a flashy, well planned publicity stunt that you are seriously falling for.

Links of interest for you:
Lies And Moore Lies
An angry man, again: Moore says Disney tried to kill his film

Mr Moore was not immediately available to answer the charge that he was creating controversy for promotional purposes. He is still at work finalising the print he will take to Cannes.

Do you deny that all this is just all publicity stunt to hype the sale of his documnetary mOjOm? MMoore making money is his sole goal, not the exposing of truth.....nothing but 'your' money. The man doesn't care who gets blamed, trampled, or bad-mouthed along the way. The man is nothing but a trumped up mouthpieced 'Ann Coulter' for the extreme left.

seekerof

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Man that just shows how well your 'democracy' works. In a true Democracy you shouldnt have political sensorship. Sensorship for violent or lewd content i could understand (i dont understand sensorship for nudity but thats neither here nor there), but to block a movie coz it would affect a comanies tax cuts (an already rich comany mind you) is just outrageous! Oh well just goes to show how #ed up your country is getting

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Huh?
He hasn't.
Been to his site yet?
Here, allow me:
Disney Has Blocked the Distribution of My New Film... by Michael Moore

The fat slob is making this into a flashy, well planned publicity stunt that you are seriously falling for.

seekerof

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Seekerof]

I'm talking about this statement right here:

Mr. Emanuel said Mr. Eisner expressed particular concern that it would endanger tax breaks Disney receives for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Mr. Bush's brother, Jeb, is governor.

It's Mr. Emanuel, not Mr. Moore, who is saying that Mr. Eisner is concerned about Jeb. In fact, I can't find one direct quote from Mr. Moore at all in the entire NY Times Article at all. It is all being quoted from Mr. Emanuel, Mr. Moore's agent. That is all I'm talking about here Seekerof, and that's all I've been talking about.

I've already said twice that "I DON'T CARE ABOUT MOORE'S MOVIE!!" I'm also not 'Seriously Falling for' anything. I am simply trying to figure out If Mr. Eisner did in fact say anything along the lines of Not wanting to upset Jeb Bush because it may lead to Political 'favors' (Tax Breaks) being taken away from Disney Co. Florida.

OK?? Are we clear on this yet?? I don't give a sh*t what the reason may have been for Mr. Eisner saying it. Whether it's Moore's Movie or for some other project Disney is considering, isn't the point. All I am trying to figure out is if he did say something about losing 'Tax Breaks' or some other favor over something like insulting Jeb or the Bush family.

Does that make sense now??

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I feel like I'm in a particularly ludicrous episode of The Twilight Zone. I can't believe the things our current administration is pulling - most of them quite successfully - over the public's eyes.

George W. Bush and his greedy, evil cronies must be stopped. They are creating 1984 before our very eyes. And this version won't have Annie Lennox singing in it.

Michael Moore may be incendiary. He may not be a flashy dresser. He may be overweight and unshaven, and wears a baseball cap. But I believe he stands up for the little guy. And unless you are Bill Gates or one of the top 1% of the country who holds 90% of its wealth, you are a little guy. We are all little guys. We've been served a pot of crap and told it's lentil soup. We need people like Michael Moore to stir up this pot of crap.

Where is our sense of outrage? Why is our president allowed to rape our economy, rape our environment, kiss the asses of the corporate robber barons and do it all with a smug chimpanzee smirk on his face? Why is he allowed to lie through his teeth to the American public and cause the deaths of thousands of innocents? Why does half of the country think he is doing a good job? Will someone wake me up from this nightmare?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join