It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU Sues Over "Secretly Created" Federal Prison Unit Holding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

ACLU Sues Over "Secretly Created" Federal Prison Unit Holding Muslims

www.huffingtonpost.com

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — The American Civil Liberties Union sued the government Thursday over the creation of a special unit at the federal prison in Terre Haute, claiming it was created in secrecy and keeps mostly Muslim prisoners in stark isolation.

The ACLU says about 40 other prisoners, mostly Muslims, are being held in a "secretly created" Communication Management Unit in which they have no contact with other prisoners, limited contact with the outside world and no physical contact with family members.

"Designed to house prisoners viewed by the government as terrorists, they were es
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-6-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Wow. So this is another conspiracy theory that has been proven right. So the US does have concentration camps. We do have concentration camps where we hold people without charges. They're work camps. First they laugh at us, then they mock at us, and then they deny that these things exist.

I would think this would be bigger on ATS... I'm surprised I haven't seen more stuff about this on ATS.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The article you listed does not say anything about a concentration camp or work camp. It is a very restricted prison. As to weather or not the people there deserve to be there can be taken on a case by case basis.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Actually I think there is already a meme underway to marginalize the abject demolition of human rights these 'prisons' represent.

The law must be administered and executed publicly, Secrecy breeds bad things in law enforcement. This IS about law enforcement, isn't it? Or are we still pretending it's a "war".

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

The fact of the matter was that this proves that the government is running secret prison camps. Whether they're work camps or concentration camps is another story but the government is running these camps and they're putting people in there because of their political views... and that's in my opinion a bit more scary than just regular FEMA camps.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I would agree with you. I don't understand why these people are acting like it's no big deal.

Our government stands for freedom... doesn't it? They shouldn't then be putting protesters in jail for their political beliefs in these federal communications units.

I don't think the government should be doing this at all, secretly or openly. Many of the people there are innocent... and the ones that aren't there are Muslims and they're placed there because they think that they would somehow infect the prison population with teachings of Islam.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Our government stands for freedom... doesn't it? They shouldn't then be putting protesters in jail for their political beliefs in these federal communications units.

A government that passes something like the patriot act definitely doesn't stand for freedom.

I didn't see any mention of protesters, did you get that from another source ?

I don't think the government should be doing this at all, secretly or openly. Many of the people there are innocent... and the ones that aren't there are Muslims and they're placed there because they think that they would somehow infect the prison population with teachings of Islam.

That is clearly just your opinion, unless you have another source that backs that up.

It's not a prison camp, just a very strict section of a prison.

In addition to those convicted of terror-related crimes, the unit also is designed to hold certain disciplinary cases and sex offenders who try to contact their victims.

I don't see anything wrong with these people being held there, they can't very well have sex offenders contacting their victims now can they, and they have to have a way to control the ones with disciplinary problems.

It also says that these are convicted prisoners. Prisoners in county jails are not allowed physical contact with visitors either.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

I don't see anything wrong with these people being held there, they can't very well have sex offenders contacting their victims now can they, and they have to have a way to control the ones with disciplinary problems.

Secretly? For what purpose? Do we expect an army of people to storm the prisons? Do we NOT expect the same results thing that such actions prompted to other countries? How many times have these extremists, or their cultural predecessors threatened or actually used violence to 'demand' the release of their ideological brothers or sisters in Europe, Asia, Africa? The mere existence of such institutionalized human rights violating activities might actually endanger our citizens. Perhaps we should consider giving up some of this pseudo-security for some guarantees of basic freedom. It might be worth it to assert our control over our government, despite what they say.

Secret rendition, may not apply universally to the prison population, but tell me, since it IS government funded (i.e. OUR money) that makes such things possible, shouldn't we expect to KNOW where the expenditures are occurring, even within our OWN country?

I can understand the need for special security prisons, I can even understand the justification of expedient incarceration under extreme circumstances.

But I cannot understand why American's LACK the right to know.

I assure you, it is not the existence of prisons that is alarming. It is the lack of disclosure, and the perpetuation of a culture of governmental domination.

I appreciate the dialogue.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No, I'm sorry i didn't make myself clear. I agree with you on the secrecy part, this unit should not have been created in secrecy, nor kept secret. We have every right to know what is done with our money and what type of prisons they are building, as well as who is being detained within them. Our government is obligated to disclose this information to us.

I also don't agree with any innocent, or non-convicted prisoners being kept there. I do not however see a problem with convicted prisoners being kept there if they are a discipline problem, or they have attempted to contact their victims. There are some prisoners that still organize crimes to be carried out from within prison, and those prisoners need to be kept away from outside contacts.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Chances are, if its supposed to be secret, its CIA operated then..

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

found this definition for concentration camp
Internment is the imprisonment or confinement of people, commonly in large groups, without trial. The Oxford English Dictionary (1989) gives the meaning as "The action of ‘interning’; confinement within the limits of a country or place". ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_Camp

and I can tell you that the us does not have any concentration camps at least not in the way you might think the stigma of the word concentration camp in my mind evokes thoughts of ovens and hard labor and the like however even at military prisons hard labor is hardly labor at all. imo if you are a militant anything you should be segregated from the rest of the prison populous just because of the security risk that thies people present to the rest of the prison.

new topics

top topics

join