It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India plans hot chilli grenades

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

India plans hot chilli grenades

news.bbc.co.uk

Indian defence scientists are planning to put one of the world's hottest chilli powders into hand grenades.

They say the devices will be used to control rioters and in counter-insurgency operations.

Researchers say the idea is to replace explosives in small hand grenades with a certain variety of red chilli to immobilise people without killing them.

The chilli, known as Bhut Jolokia, is said to be 1,000 times hotter than commonly used kitchen chilli.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraphindia.com
in.reuters.com

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am sure we all know that over the last decade or so there has been a real push for non leathel weapons. This one however does seem to me to be the most strange. I got to give them credit though, it defently seems to be creative. You will just have to hope that they do not encounter a riot of people who like spicy food.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
How is this any different than pepper spray or anything else that uses OC?

Ive tried some hotsauces that equal to pepperspray. Even more fun is putting it in an MRE heater in an enclosed space like inside a Humvee, hilarity ensues!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
All pepper spray is made from the active "spicy" ingredient in papers. There's nothing strange about this at all...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I was gonna say ...I can eat a scotch bonnet no problem...I'm game lemme have it...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
How is this any different than pepper spray or anything else that uses OC?

This is different because of the delivery system. It is being delivered in the form of a small bomb.
I know plenty of people like spicy things, that is why I mentioned that I hope they don't have a riot made of of people who like spicy food.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
They've actually been using these peppers in bombs since about 2000 to control wild elephants. I do wonder how effective it will be as a lot of Indians in certain parts of the country, mostly in north east i believe, smear the peppers on their faces and eyes.

For example:

A 28-year-old Indian woman smeared its seeds on her eyes before gobbling up 51 fire-hot chilies in two minutes for an entry into the Guinness World Records, organizers said Friday.

Women blazes through chili-eating feat

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

wow that is impressive. Then again that is the point that I was making, I don't know how effective it will be against people who like spicy foods.
The lady who ate fifty one chilies, I don't really know if any one would want to be around her for the following day or so.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ghost Peppers (Bhut Jolokia) are about 970,000 scoville, the habanero is about 250,000 scoville. For comparison, American Defense, Sabre Defense, First Defense, and Pepper 10 are only 500,000 scoville.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Taliesin

Taliesin,
thanks for the figures. So in effect what you are saying is this pepper bomb is going to be supper spicy!
Since it does seem like you know about this, could you clarify that this pepper bomb with the supper spice ghost peppers, will still not cause any real harm, just cause terrible pain, is that about right?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarlaan
They've actually been using these peppers in bombs since about 2000 to control wild elephants. I do wonder how effective it will be as a lot of Indians in certain parts of the country, mostly in north east i believe, smear the peppers on their faces and eyes.

For example:

A 28-year-old Indian woman smeared its seeds on her eyes before gobbling up 51 fire-hot chilies in two minutes for an entry into the Guinness World Records, organizers said Friday.

Women blazes through chili-eating feat

51 “fire-hot chilies” in 2 minutes…OUCH! I would hate to have been her the next day.

That would make a pretty funny horror movie though…Revenge of the Screaming Sphincter!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Well, my wife uses cayan to control her blood sugar in a pinch (she is type I diabetic). We use 100,000 SU cayane at the most and it can cause pretty sever eye and mucus irritation if it gets in the air (personal experience.. don't sneeze when the bag is open
)

Something that is 9x hotter could cause mild to moderate dermititis, temporary blindness, intense discomfort (guess that is the point), and scarring of the lungs due to intense coughing. I have never heard of any long term affects from exposure to natural capsacin. On the other hand, I have heard anecdotal evidence that exposure to capsacin extract can be highly dangerous and even lethal if it gets into the blood stream.

Edited after talking to the wife: She says her cayanne is 450K SU and when she took four pills, which is essentially 1 tablespoon, her side effects that day were extreme vomitting, dehydration, headache, and massive sweats. That was ingestion of the powder, which I am sure would happen in the case of a airborn powder.

[edit on 6-25-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

rogerstigers
that's some more good information, thanks again, post stared.
So it seems that if some one gets enough of the chili powder from this new riot control device some real damage could happen. That is to bad. Not saying there does not need to be a way to control a riot, but more so this device could be used in a large quantity that could end up causing real harm with out the intent of doing so.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
If we ever go to war with India, ..... remind me to bring some taco's !!!! I have one word for this post, .... delicious.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
If people want a preview, as in taste, of how hot this is I direct you:

The Hottest Sauces in the World
www.chez-williams.com...

Some of these are well into the millions of SU.

Did you know the "Heat" caused by hot stuff is actually pain receptors and not a sense of taste?

In other words this stuff is for masochists.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taliesin
Ghost Peppers (Bhut Jolokia) are about 970,000 scoville.

Correction.

Bhut jolokia’s hotness quotient — 1,001,304 heat units on the Scoville scale — makes it twice as fiery as the Red Savina, a Mexican variety that previously held the world record.

And also, the point which was entirely missed in this thread.

Used as a food supplement, the world’s hottest chilli could help soldiers weather the high-altitude chill.

“The chilli could work miracles for soldiers on the icy heights by way of raising body temperature,” R.B. Srivastava, the Delhi-based director (life science) of the DRDO, said.

He said the chilli may permanently be included in the diet of the armed forces deputed at high altitudes.

It is a two in one. Food and weapon.

The Indian scientists never fail to impress.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I guess the Indian government is expecting a revolution to take place soon, it is'nt surprising at the way things are going lately. It's pathetic. I guess thats what the chillies are for. What are they gonna do next, make grenades with human faeces...? Thanks for the info though, everyone can be prepared...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
People can have deadly reactions to chilli, I'm off to dig up an article about a chef who ate a bowl of chilli sauce on a bet, went to bed that night complaining of being itchy all over and in the morning his girlfriend found him dead. I will edit in a min with the link.

Edit: nope can't find it - got better thing to do... Did you know they have women in states of undress on the internet nowadays? That's progress.

[edit on 26/6/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

This?

I has a second line.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I thought naga chilli's were the hottest? i have them,and they are hot! maybe its just the capsicum they use? ..wont work on this woman though!

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Solomons]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join