It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC vs. MAC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I'd just like to shed some light on this topic for a bit, and hear some of your opinions as to why you prefer whatever it is you are currently using. I want to know the Pro's and Con's of each, the likes and dislikes, advantages and disadantages, so on and so forth...

I have a PC that runs windows, and I'm currently looking at buying a notebook for school and work. I was looking at Dell's lineup and the Apple iBook G4, and i haven't really had much experience with Mac's, so i thought that by hearing your people's opinions, it would help me make a better decision. I'm into video editing and i heard that the Apple's have really good software for that sort of stuff so i decided to check them out.

Are there any of you out there that have converted to one side or the other? or how about some that use both? let me know, i want to hear what you have to say.

MICROSOFT..... .. .. I'm not worthy!!! e..v..i..l...Monkeys!

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Go with what you're experienced with. If you've never used a Mac, the transition might be too time consuming for you. Generally, the new Macs are much more stable and easier to use than PC's... however... it requires a different way of thinking about your files and set-up that many long-time PC users have trouble making the change. I use a PowerBook 17inch. I regularly have Mac OSX, OS9, Windows XP, and RedHat Linux all running at the same time (and use intense applications like PhotoShop, MS Project, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and it's been months since I've needed to reboot for anything other than software updates.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I don't currently own a Apple Mac, but I have used them quite a bit.

I really like the Apple laptops, my brother seems to get a new one every year (replacing the old one) - so I have seen and used them frequently.
I find that they are very fast, and extremely stable - expecially the new Mac OS X Operating System (as it's Unix based). For music and video, then yea - an Apple would be best.

Apples can run on much slower processors compared to Windows, you still need a lot of RAM though obviously - especially for video editing.

Apples also have great power control, you can leave them on standby (without a power-pack) for weeks or months, they also run very fast without a power-pack. I don't know if this is true with other modern laptops (like the pentium centrinos), as I have not used them.

Another choice you could look into to, is installing Linux on the new laptop - if you get a new Apple OS X, you don't need to really - as OS X is Unix underneath. But if you get a Windows laptop, you could install Linux along-side it. Linux also has good audio and video editing.

I expect there will be a lot of fights on this board though if we start comparing Linux to Windows, lol.

So to conclude, my oppinion would be for your video editing and mobility - I would choose an Apple.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i have three apples and one pc. i have used apples over the last ten years. the are designed as units, with much consideration spent on human factors. windows is a mishmash of scattered mystery code from hell(jgrzzx.exe, etc.), which i find extremely counterintuitive and frustrating.
i have xp on the pc and it's actually quite good. almost a mac. all other windows os' i've tried SUCK. (3.1, 95 and 98, that is)
there are very few mac viruses as opposed to a new strain every day for pc's. my mac's been online for five years without getting a single virus. i don't even have protection running(i'm new to OSX so, i have it on the lovable 17inch powerbook).

steve jobs is a visionary with a dream. apple pushes the envelope of technology and elegant design(the first adopt scsi, firewire, usb as standard i/o, the imac, the g4cube, the 20th anniversary mac, bluetooth). macs were 'plug and play' for real since they came out.
bill gates is the von frankenstein of computers. stealing from the dead(or murdering the living) and sewing together mismatched bits. antitrust=antitruth=antichrist. he's your backdoor man.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Its a tough call between mac and pc, especially since they accell at different areas. I think the one thing mac has working against them is the price of their machines versus pc units. While a single high end mac may do wonders graphically it can get pricey, when for the same money you could probably cluster a few lower-end pc machines to do the same job.

You also have to look at it not just from the desktop view but from the server point of view. I've not heard much about macs as a server platform, that tends to be where pc machines reign supreme because of their price.

MetalHead > tho OS X does use a unix base, that means the license is more restrictive than linux, you wouldnt happen to know what license OS X is using would you?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I don't know what license Mac OS X is using no, sorry.
I have not used the Mac OS X - only heard about it.

It may be GPL? But probably not.

For the comment on all Windows suck, this is kinda true. I have used almost all of the Windows platforms - this includes: Win 3.1, 95, 98/SE, Me, NT, 2000, XP including the Windows Server products (from work) - NT 4 Server and 2000 Server. I would say out of those, the best Windows platform is probably Windows 2000.

I use Windows XP Pro at home on numerous PCs, but I prefer Windows 2000 - I find XP has made it too simple, a lot of the settings are either now missing, or hidden. Especially in a network enviroment. I have not used Windows 2003 Server, so I cannot comment on that.

I agree, I have not heard of many Macs being used in server enviroments, although they are. This will probably increase too because of OS X being based around Unix (Well, BSD).

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am running a three-year-old Apple iBook 500 with Mac OS X 10.3, an old Compaq 500 with Windows XPH, and a really old Mandrake Linux 9.2 box.

I prefer Macs, mainly because they are so power-user friendly (Windows appeals more toward first-time computer users, in my opinion). OS X also is based on Unix, which I like a lot. But I do most of my developement work on Windows boxes only because they are the most popular, and have a bigger audience.

Also, Macs may take some time to get used to, when migrating from Windows.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Im waiting for them to get Darwin to no be JUST the kernal and main parts. I want a full x86 port of OSX....i KNOW that Apple has one in there headquarters...they just havent said they do...it pisses me off. Cuz OSX is so stable and reliable compared to WinXP. I also like it ALOT more...but im too poor to afford a Mac.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Macs aren't that expensive, I'm sure you could pick a second hand one up somewhere.
If I'm lucky, my brother may let me have 1 of his old Mac laptops - like I said above, he seems to get a new one every year, lol.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have been using both Macs and PC for years.

Currently a G4 15" Powerbook and a G3 Tower. (still have an Lc475 somewhere round here....)

As previously stated, the Macs are very stable and very reliable. The interface is very user friendly, but as SO mentioned, if you are used to PCs, there is a "transitional" period of adjustment.

I have no major problems with PCs, but I find that the Macs suit my needs in the music industry perfectly and that is what it really boils down to.... what you are going to use the platform for.

I also have never had a problem with any Apple product I have ever purchased.

My only critique of Mac is the prices. Especially the prices of the periphials.

Aside from video editing, I take it that you are just going to use the computer for general use? ie. email, word processing, games?

PC's (IME) have a much greater selection of software and accesories than the Macs. They also come at a much cheaper price.

Hope this helps

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
HI,
I have been a long time user of both Macs and PC's, and among the other things I do, I am now supporting and office/lab with both.

My only critique of Mac is the prices.

this is somewhat untrue, if you go out and buy off the shelf mac or pc, they will be in the same ballpark, both desktops and laptops. Now if you build your own pc, then it will be cheaper.

Especially the prices of the periphials.

this is really untrue. In the lab I manage we have one set of peripherals, one zip drive, one scanner, printers, etc. Since its USB, they can be both used on either platform. So how can they be more expensive if the exact same device can be used on both.

I just had a conversation here with one of the users that has to use a mac. She said that she never used a mac before, she has a PC at home. But using a mac at work has helped her use her pc more efficiently at home.

hope this helps
-dnnx

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I use both Mac and PC. I have to do office work on a PC, but I hate the complicated connections and interactions of all the programs, the instability of Windows products, and all those security holes and quick-fix patches. Not that the Mac doesn't have security issues, but the lower market share certainly helps reduce the interest ne'er-do-wells have in prolific virus creation. And...well...gosh, my 12-inch IBook is just so cute [pinches its little cheeks]...and OSX is just soooo PRETTY with its candy-colored control buttons!

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The major difference between Mac and PC is the OS. While PC's generally use Windows, Mac uses a much more stable and efficient program. You will find across the web literally countless complaints about the shoddy-made workings of Microsoft while finding Mac complaints is not an easy issue in comparison.

Another comparison--processor utilization. PCs running Windows will give you the feeling that you have one hell of a computer. Windows will start and show a window even before the program has begun to load. Mac, on the other hand, will wait to show programs until they are loaded. While this may not seem like a huge difference, Windows will end up annoying you royally.

In the end, buy a Mac.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I like the way the macs look, however I'm use to the PC format, and as mentioned earlier it's hard for me to switch cause I grew up using PC and I'm use to the short comings of windows. Also the fact that a lot of the games I play/played aren't for mac os, however that's been changing. Still I find myself prefering a PC for gaming.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dnnx

Especially the prices of the periphials.

this is really untrue. In the lab I manage we have one set of peripherals, one zip drive, one scanner, printers, etc. Since its USB, they can be both used on either platform. So how can they be more expensive if the exact same device can be used on both.
hope this helps
-dnnx

It is VERY true. I was writing that MAC periphials are too expensive. Not other companies that make Mac compatable products. Why buy a Mac Aiport Extreme router for $200, when a perfectly good one by another company can be had for under $100!???

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst
It is VERY true. I was writing that MAC periphials are too expensive. Not other companies that make Mac compatable products. Why buy a Mac Aiport Extreme router for $200, when a perfectly good one by another company can be had for under $100!???

It is VERY untrue. I am using a $15 Logitech optical mouse right now with my iBook. The mouse is made for PC's, but drivers are available for OS X.

It is true that Apple's peripherals (that is, the ones made by Apple themselves) are relatively expensive. I am also on a wireless network with a Linksys router.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jake_

Originally posted by Facefirst
It is VERY true. I was writing that MAC periphials are too expensive. Not other companies that make Mac compatable products.
It is true that Apple's peripherals (that is, the ones made by Apple themselves) are relatively expensive. I am also on a wireless network with a Linksys router.

Did you even read my post?????? I wrote EXACTLY what YOU wrote!! Read more closely next time.
I wrote that Apple periphials are too expensive! Jeez....

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
No, you wrote that "MAC periphials are too expensive". I understood that to imply that peripherals made for macs are too expensive. The company's (Apple's) products are very often relatively expensive.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
PCs are better because you can upgrade them. macs are just doumb, they dont have enough power. hell my laptop im using right now is probally more powerful than a mac.

PC(and im not talking about P.C.)

MAC ->

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Yeh, but don't you think Unix 0wnz? I can't get over the fact that I can use Unix programs on my iBook!

PC, for me, are too 'friendly' for first-time users. Macs have Unix, are highly-configurable and are good for power-users. Did I mention this alreay? Lol...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join