It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modest New Moon Images Leave NASA Elated... really?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Modest New Moon Images Leave NASA Elated... really?

lcross.arc.nasa.gov

They may look grainy or overexposed to the untrained eye, but the new images of the moon sent by an unmanned NASA probe early Tuesday left scientists on Earth rejoicing. I can take a better picture of the Moon with a disposable 35mm camera!

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
lcross.arc.nasa.gov
www.space.c om

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Is this some kind of a joke or is every intelligent member here on ATS seeing the same thing I am? Two pictures released from the new probe landing and both miles from the Moon. Now here's the thing, NASA's Lunar CRater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) couldn't give us a better picture of the Moon? I can post a better picture of the Moon using a cheap telescope. If you read the article you'll come to the conclusion that the technology being used now as far as video is concerned, can take a picture of a freckle on my butt from the Moon... so why the crappy pictures?
In addition to this, if NASA landed on the Moon in 1969 and have been studying the Moon for over 40 years since, why do they need a probe to find a location for the next landing? Can they not see a landing spot from Hubble, telescopes here on Earth, or from the Space Station? I believe this is a darker mission that has nothing to do with landing men on the Moon in 2020. Never once with all the evidence would NASA ever agree that something out there is possible. It's always dust from thrusters and they're insulting my intelligence, perpetrating a fraud, and completely full of crap! It has cost NASA almost triple for the Space Station to orbit... that being opposed to building it on the Moon like it was originally planned. Any idea's as to what's really going on here? I would enjoy hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

lcross.arc.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Ha!

NASA used PrintScreen Images...

Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ironically, the moon in the promotion materials is in colour and show a much more detailed picture (images are from 1994)

Suddenly, the moon becomes mundane, tedious and grey whenever a probe nears the satellite

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The scientists are not "elated" about the quality of the images, they very pleased that their instruments are functioning properly. These first images are tests, nothing more. The reason the images are not crystal clear is because the cameras used are not designed for use at these distances.

The visible and infrared cameras on LCROSS - designed to scan the moon from much closer than Tuesday's flyby - are working, NASA officials said, and that was the point of the first images.

www.space.com...

There is better to come.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I couldnt agree more!

Like you said, we have cameras available for CIVILIAN purchase that can zoom in on a dingleberry on a fly's butt.....yet we send 40 METER per pixle cameras to the moon????!!????

WTF Over?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

The camera carried by the LRO has quite impressive capabilities.

LROC consists of two Narrow Angle Cameras (NACs) to provide 0.5 meter-scale panchromatic images over a 5 km swath,

lroc.sese.asu.edu...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Really? I can only laugh at your closed-minded respoce. You really believe they were testing the camera? I can take a clearer picture from here on Earth with my cheap equiptment. And so my question has been already answered when I asked for responces from "intelligent ATS members." NASA designs their strories front page for the nieve and gullable, now again I'll ask for intelligent responces from those who are not fooled by NASA's cover story.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage
When will we see these unaltered panchromatic images of the surface, do you think?

two lines.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Dear Phage, we deserve more than that from you!
Thank's any way.

Happy.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think phage might be right. If they are testing the camera at a distance other than what it was designed to be used at, then of course the test pictures are going to be poor. Someone previously said that they could take better pictures with a 35mm disposable camera! Well imagine using that same camera to take a picture of a friend standing ten feet away. The picture will be adequate because that is what it was designed for. Now use the same camera to take a picture of your friend a thousand feet away and suddenly you will see nothing. As far as I can see it's just common sense.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to I wish I had that answer. Why they do this has always been a great mystery to me... WHAT ARE THEY HIDING? Indeed they are hiding something. We can't all be wrong about what we've seen and have pictures of. The problem with NASA is that when someone says a pictures is worth a thousand words, NASA only gives two: 'your wrong" or it was "the thruster" making particals again? LOLpost by star in a jar

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to Phage may be right, but that would mean the camera's used 15 years ago were better... and that just doesn't sit right. 384 million for a probe and they spent what on the piece of crap their using? They do not have to wait to adjust the camera after the picture... that's just laughable!post by Mintwithahole.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
As usual, some ATS members don't let evidence to interfere with their conclusions. Another article gets linked and remains unread....

They were taken by a camera not designed to shoot the moon from so far out, and they gave scientists a taste of things to come.

"The team is very pleased with the data that we received from the moon," said Jonas Dino, a spokesperson at NASA's Ames Research Center overseeing the LCROSS mission. "These raw images, from an altitude of 8,000 to 10,000 km, prove that the instruments are healthy and returning good data."

That's pretty emphatic in explaining what the images represent...test snaps. Still, don't let that prevent a looooong thread of Nasa criticisms based on assumptions. There's times when the spoon-feeding of information becomes ridiculous. Standard 'first paragraph analysis' is alive and well. An adventure into the uncharted territory of mid-article reveals no dragons or quicksand...just one more quote that puts the images in ever greater perspective:

On Tuesday, LCROSS calibrated its instruments while zipping around the moon in a flyby that came within 2,000 miles (3,200 km) of the lunar surface at its closest. The probe's camera images, however, should be at their best on Oct. 9, when they watch from about 370 miles (600 km) away as LCROSS unleashes its attached 2.5-ton Centaur rocket stage to crash into a moon crater.
Modest New Moon Images Leave NASA Elated

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
And you think what? That you will get to see pictures that are not altered... your making me laugh too hard over here. You just take what they give you and run with it huh? So the only camera they could take pictures with won't work until a close up; and you think your getting a close up of what... LOL!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
GOING TO THE MOON in a rocket... WOULD YOU TAKE YOUR DIGITAL or another camera for your own shots? I guess atronauts are not allowed to show us their pictures. Only two from NASA that look like they were photographed out of a book.... I'm laughing over here!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Previous spacecraft, notably Mars Global Surveyor, have taken higher-resolution pictures of Phobos because they flew closer to the moon, said Nathan Bridges, HiRISE team member at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"But the HiRISE images are higher quality, making the new data some of the best ever for Phobos," said Bridges. "The new images will help constrain the origin and evolution of this moon."

Now if HirISE can do this, and the new probe can't... then they took the wrong camera with them because this new camera was to be ten times better? 10 times better at what... fooling the nieve masses?
www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 25-6-2009 by LunarLooney1]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LunarLooney1

Lunar, are you serious? I mean, there is cynicism and then there's just outright sillyness. The optical camera they took with them was meant to look into craters at a distance of a couple of hundred miles max with the intention of looking for water ice. That is the official statement from the program web site. If it is something differant we won't even know, but it certainly fits in with the equipment they brought along.

Honestly, if you are going camping with a bunch of friends, are you going to bring along a handy little digital camera to snap your friends close range or are you going to bring along your $5000 ultra-high res camera with telephoto lens that is capable of taking a picture of the veins on a leaf from half a mile away?

Oh, and don't forget tha NASA intends on crashing this thing into the moon. Would you want them spending tons of money on an ultra-high res long distance camera that they simply plan to crash into the moon?

If you truely believe the drivel you are spouting out, you are not helping your cause, you are hurting it. Noone will pay attention to or even consider the opinions of a person who *HAS* to be right, even when they are proven wrong.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Have to be right? That's you... just take a look at what you wrote! Most laughable indeed. You still using an "8-track" to listen to your music or am I to believe you have a cd player and have upgraded like the rest of the planet. Because what your stating is that NASA once had a better camera that can take pictures of anything, but now they are forced to use an antique to show us the Moon.However, indeed you are entitled to your opinon and I respect that, but when you get your up-close picture 1 foot in diameter inside a hole on the Moon and not of the landscape, I guess that will be good enough for you. Enjoy the new amazing pictures being played on a tireless 8-track. Now I'm really laughing up a storm. I thought this thread would be serious, but I've done nothing but laugh for an hour! Thanks!
And hurting the cause as you so say would be to not investigate something. Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.!

[edit on 25-6-2009 by LunarLooney1]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LunarLooney1

You haven't got a leg to stand on in this thread. The images have been explained and links provided (that you won't read
). Ignorance is bliss, eh? Kind of like a camp-site for idiots. If and when the October images hit the web, you'll be complaining that they're fake, photo-shopped or not good enough. You might as well write the October thread now...you've already got your conclusion

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join