It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you intentionally get swine flu now, to increase your immunity for when H1N1 mutates?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I was wondering if it may be a good idea to intentionally go out and get swine flu. It seems apparent to me that this strain of H1N1 influenza is quite mild, and easily treated. In the UK there have been no deaths not involving underlying health problems.

Most scientists agree that we will see a surge of swine flu cases on the way(BBC) and German authorites warn of swine flu mutation risks(reuters). So we can assume it's going to come back bigger and nastier eventually.

So, Should Swine Flu be allowed to spread? Nature Network

This is an interesting question – would it be better to allow a first wave of swine flu infection spread in order to build immunity to a more deadly strain should the virus mutate?

The question is prompted by groundbreaking research published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases on the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. The research suggests that it may be better to allow a first wave of swine flu infection in order to prevent deaths on a mass scale especially if the swine flu virus mutates in a similar process to the flu pandemic of 1918.

The research found that people who were initially infected by a mild form of the Spanish flu virus were better inoculated against the deadly strain that soon emerged to kill 40 million people worldwide. The death rate amongst this group was approximately 70 per cent lower.

This could well be a good idea as the CDC said older adults may have some immunity to swine flu(MedlinePlus) since it is supposedly related to a strain seen in 1957.

"The further back you go in time, the more likely you are to have been exposed to H1N1 virus back before 1957, and there is a possibility that having exposure to that virus many years ago may allow you to have some [antibody] reaction to the new H1N1 that's now circulating," Dr. Daniel Jernigan, deputy director of CDC's Influenza Division, said during a teleconference.

It's a little like of mothers sending their kids round to play with friends with measles or mumps. So that their kids get it when young rather than when grown up(as it is more dangerous then), so is this a viable option?

This idea may have been explored on the Swine Flu news and update thread but it's 476 pages long!

I really don't know if I would go out and get the current swine flu on purpose so that I have some immunity to it. It seems a good idea on paper, but the risks!

What do you think?

[edit on 25-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Was discussing this very idea with the grandparents of one of my son's friends last evening.....
The grandfather was going on about the outbreak in 1976..he was deathly ill and had to be hospitalized. Everyone in the family contacted it, with only he having to be in hospital care. They are summizing that they will probably not contact this strain.
Hmmmm.....and they have also said that no way in hell are they going to get vaccinated. They are in their late 70's and do indeed believe that this is a true
medical conspiracy. Bravo!!!!

Will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

Peace...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
iv heard of this happening already. like a chicken-pox party but for swine flu. Personally, at this point, i wouldn't be willing to risk it. after that 12 year old girl died from it in 2 days here in Canada, the strain you get could be the last one.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I personly wouldent mind getting the flu, i would rather "get" it from a person then getting the vacine!
a few weeks back i did a google search about death's per year from the normal flu, and the numbers really shocked me, on average 500- 1000 dies from it every year( in denmark where im located) and then you have to remember that our total population is about 5.6 mil. so its quite a high death toll per year.

so sneeze on me anytime

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
iv heard of this happening already. like a chicken-pox party but for swine flu. Personally, at this point, i wouldn't be willing to risk it. after that 12 year old girl died from it in 2 days here in Canada, the strain you get could be the last one.

Did the 12 year old have any pre-existing health issues?

Ywo days seems extremely quick.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What is the point of catching it to try and avoid it in the future if it mutates? If it does mutate it is again a novel (new) strain and you would still have a chance of catching it again. That is why people who get flu shots need to get them every year.

The only way you would have protection is if you get it now and the strain does not mutate.

This is why I am confused as to why there are claims that the vaccine is already underway - they have no idea yet if it will mutate as they expect may happen this Fall.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by CINY8]

[edit on 25-6-2009 by CINY8]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CINY8

I think (but am not sure) that a mutation alters the genetic makeup of the virus, but usually the new strain will have much of the same DNA as the previous strain. So even though it is a slightly different virus, any immunity gained from getting this strain may be effective in fighting off the mutated version.

That's why the CDC thinks the over 60s are showing signs of immunity, since they were exposed in the 50s to a version of swine flu.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

It sounds like pretty stupid idea. Why not just get a vaccine, which is a weakened form of the same crud?
Would you rather inhale somebodys infectious snut?!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think I'll pass on intentionally making myself bed ridden for a week, even though I could use the vacation. The regular flu hits me hard enough as it is, no way would I intentionally expose myself to swine flu. Won't be getting the vaccine either. I'll just use my anti-bacterial hand soap, spray down the doorknobs every once in awhile, and take my chances.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ActuallyActuary

It sounds like pretty stupid idea. Why not just get a vaccine, which is a weakened form of the same crud?

If I had a choice, I'd take natural immunity by exposure to the virus over forced vaccination any day, no contest.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
read up .. interesting .. spooky ....

h1N1 flu tied to genetic trigger for larger, mutated version

WMR previously reported on the genetic manipulation of the 1918 flu from tissue extracted from an Inuit woman who died from the pandemic in Alaska. On May 6, WMR reported: “WMR has obtained information from biological researchers that the 1918 Spanish flu genetic sequences were ‘manipulated’ in order to effect transmission capability....

WMR has now learned from virus researchers that the current A-H1N1 strain strongly appears tied to vaccinations for the seasonal form on influenza. The hybrid flu began in countries where seasonal vaccinations are commonplace and where A-H1N1 did not respond to the normal seasonal flu vaccination antibody, according to researchers studying the new virus.

What has some researchers alarmed is that the engineers of A-H1N1 purposely planned to make the virus non-responsive to any available vaccine. There is also a suspicion by researchers that the A-H1N1 vaccine under development will trigger a more deadly mutated form of the virus for which the A-H1N1 vaccine will be ineffective.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Is that reliable at all? If it was it would be huge.

There is just something about the media's responseand public panic, being disproportionate to the actual severity of this pandemic that makes me smell a rat.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ActuallyActuary

Would you rather be injected with harmful chemicals and quite possibly deadly viruses? Just because they're making a vaccine does not mean it will be safe.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Good question OP!

Yes I would

In fact... the dang stomach end lasted a month, honestly though it was a pretty crummy flu but not the worst sick I'd ever been by far.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
With the Current period of time being filled with graduation ceremonies all over NA.

With everyone who doesn't normal hug and touch going overboard with the goodbyes. Add in the fact no-one who is mildly sick is going to miss their grad -- Expect 100s of cases in the next 2-3 weeks amongst those grad students.

If that doesn't happen I'd be very surprised.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I would. "cause flu is natures diet"
but in all honestly. If theres a second wave thats 10x deadly its better to get it now then get in in autum

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by superdebz

You know, that's what I figured, but people don't seem to agree for the most part.

This flu will surely come back stronger, and if they are going to force us to have this vaccination, I'll take getting it now.

The vaccine is either a premade vaccine that has been sitting in government warehouses to be shipped out, or has been created in a hurry. God knows what crap they'll be pumping into us!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'd rather missing both waves. "Ordinary" flu types can cause complications and kill. So to get one on purpose? Thanks but no thanks. Once autumn with its stronger wave arrives, i personally plan on pumping into myself all natural antivirals (proven) that exist and hope for the best. With God's help,naturally.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This reminds me of that epiosde of south park where someone has chicken pox so they give it the kids and they find out and there really pissed.
So they get a hooker to give all their parents herpes.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I work in healthcare. I wash my hands constantly, wear gloves, breathe through my nose for natural filtration... when I noticed sick employees and patients around with the flu-like symptoms, I even did over a weeks worth of echinacea, started vitamin C doses... made sure I ate right... used peroxide in my ears.

Here I am typing with swollen glands in my now painful neck... after having head-cold symptoms for the past week started by a bad sore throat... I was hoping it was just a head cold. I have no way of knowing at this point.

My plan was that if I got this new flu then it was what is meant to be and for the best. That perhaps it would help my immunity to it when the weather turns colder and the normal flu season starts and it is much harder to fight.

I put my trust and faith in the true "Powers That Be"... because that is what controls everything anyhow. Meanwhile I focussed on taking all precautions I could... I did my part. My desire in Life is to help others in all that I can and that is why I work in healthcare trying to lessen others pain and suffering. So..... if it is the H1N1 that I have now then that is okay with me because my faith lies in knowing that everything is how it is meant to be.

To deliberately try to get it.... no..... I wouldn't. Keep your faith in the higher powers because they do exist!

new topics

top topics

join