It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the Iraqis capable of running their country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I just want to see opinions on this subject, because this topic is very touchy right now. From my perspective they are not. I feel this way, because of the instability of the country, the lack of leadership in authorities, and the lack of trustworthiness within their "government".

Mr. M

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Well...StarChild...

IMHO...no they are not...for the reasons you pointed out, and as long as there are self proclaimed clerics there, such as Muqtada al-Sadr wanting power, they will never have a stable government...

Maybe a few years from now, but at this point in time, no...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
you see the problem with countries like iraq (and afghanistan, or many less developed countries), is a democracy will not work for one simple reason. You have too many warlords/militia leaders trying to get power... these countries need hardline dictators to run them effectively, otherwise they will just crumble and fall apart. Just because democracy (supposedly) works in western countries doesnt mean it will work all over the world, i think Iraq was better off with saddam than it is now or it will be for many years to come.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
How do you feel about the trustworthiness of government officials within the Iraqi political structure, for what it is worth? How do you think they will respond to having ultimate control over the country they lived in oppression in for so long?

Mr. M

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Well...

The trustworthiness right now, IMHO is low...

For what it's worth...I believe taking out Saddam was the right thing to do, Saddam was power mad, always needed it, his type always will...

How do I think they will respond ?

IMHO...depends on how strong, and smart the Iraqi government is...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Iraqi people are not smart, it's just that after all these years of abuse, and oppression under Saddam, they're going to have to take it slow, to ensure that the Iraqi people will belive that they are in for a better life...

Because right now I don't think the Iraqi people trust anyone...

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Yoda]

new topics

top topics

join