It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soda being adictive = gobs of money for pepsi/Coca-Cola

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Are you comparing coca-cola to heroin alcohol or cigarettes

i find nicotine withdrawal is actually milder than caffeine withdrawal, they both make you obsessive and cranky but with nicotine there's no headache, no sweats and no nightmares. although nicotine is way more persistent.

alcohol and opiate addiction are way over at the other end of the scale. actually, they're on a different scale altogether.

withdrawal from both alcohol and opiates is potentially fatal and causes seriously debilitating effects, nicotine and caffeine are just really, really annoying.

List of most addictive drugs:
1. Nicotine
2. Heroin
3. Cocaine
4. Alcohol
5. Caffeine
6. Marijuana

source

this is a list of how easy it is to become addicted to a drug, not a list of how severe the withdrawal is. physical severity of withdrawal sympthoms would probably be
1. Alcohol 2. heroin 3. coc aine 4. caffiene 5. nicotine 6. marijuana
while mental distress would be different and readdiction rates would be different again, it's not as simple as you're making it.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Some of the things others are saying about pop's effects are pretty scary. I wonder if we could call it a conspiracy to keep you addicted to the stuff in the same way Tobacco companies want you to stay addicted to their product.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
And how our children are addicted to it. I share your feelings about giving up soda. I personally do not drink a ton... I always use the can-style so I consume no more than two a day on a bad day. It's become a routine to drink a diet mountain dew instead of coffee?

I don't know if anyone mentioned coffee but someone should look into the difference in caffeine intake between the two. Because personally, when I am working on Cub Camp Staff I cannot have my caffeine and often leaves me extremely tired after only one day.

Gradually take yourself off may help more

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think the headaches and sickness are due to sudden withdrawls of both caffeine and sugar.

The amount of sugar consumed daily suddenly dropped rapidly, probably lowering your blood sugar. I'd double check with your physician that he checked your sugar level, as sometimes unless there is cause to do so, they don't always.

Maybe try diet soda for a while, if you think it's sugar. Maybe a week to get your body slowly readjusted; quick withdrawls of sugar- highly addictive- may (I'm not a doctor) put your body in a bit of shock.
If you want to see which is giving you such a hard time, I'd go one week on diet pop (if you can drink it, some can't), and then maybe switch to caffeine free pop.

As for the insane headache- it sounds like a migraine. If you have no allergies, maybe try excedrin migraine- works like a charm for me, and I have frequent migraines. I also have diabetes, so I'd double check on whether yours could be related.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Drink gatorade and you will be fine in a couple of days. Plus, taking in that much caffeine and quitting cold turkey is not the best idea. Its not very addicting, but cutting yourself off from the much caffeine all at once is a major shock to your system.

A few years ago I drank nothing but coffee and beer, had been doing that for little over a year. I drank about 8 pots of coffee a day(very strong coffee also) and then switched over to beer to wind me down. I woke up one day and realized that maybe I should cut down.

I stopped cold turkey and within 24 hours I didn't have any energy, I had chills, headaches, cold sweats and vomiting. I headed to the emergency room on post and they gave me a cup of coffee and an IV. Within a couple of hours I felt right as rain and was on my way with a tip from the doc.

Wean yourself off caffeine, don't drop it all at once.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I drastically cut down my soda consumption years ago. I don't even remember how much I drank a day but it was 4 cans or more and it was for years. The only symptom I had was a bad headache for a few days. I cut way down and now drink maybe 1 or 2 a week or less. Best thing I've done I drink water most of the time now.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It is really hard to "get off soda"

It is a combination of things in the soda. The caffeine of course is addicting, but so is the high fructose corn syrup. It in and of itself is addicting, the more of it you drink/eat, the more of it you crave.

Well, I don't believe this, but some theories are that sugar/high fructose corn syrup could be a gateway to other types of drugs.

What are the concerns about high-fructose corn syrup?

www.westonaprice.org...

Not to mention that now, most high fructose corn syrup, is made from genetically modified foods, not just corn but including beets.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

I haven't had a soda for a good year now. I use to drink Dr. Pepper on a sometimes daily basis. Oh man nothing was better than a Dr Pepper, a pizza and a smoke.

I quit soda and never had any of the symptoms described above probably because I wasn't addicted to it. However, smoking is a whole new ballgame for me. I've tried quitting multiple times and each time after a few days I am the most rude and irritable person according to everyone else. lol

I've given up a lot in my life from soda to T.V. all for the sake of self improvement. I gotta lose the smoking habit. Just thought I'd share and to the OP, it's a process of turning your life around but keep it up man!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Tonight I feel a lot better. I still want to chug my pepsi, but all I drank was a shot glass of Dew. I was smoking for a few months and quit the habit on a dime with very little problem. Soda on the other hand, has been a literal nightmare.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Anything which gives pleasure can be addictive. It's just a matter of if things are physically addicting or mentally addicting.

Video games for example can be addictive, but it's obviously not a physical addiction, it's just a mental addiction. The same is true of #6. It's not physically addictive, but as it brings pleasure it can be mentally addictive. Same with fetishes and other things.

I'm big time addicted to mountain dew. I love the stuff, and don't drink anything else. I haven't drank anything else in like 15 years.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
Tonight I feel a lot better. I still want to chug my pepsi, but all I drank was a shot glass of Dew. I was smoking for a few months and quit the habit on a dime with very little problem. Soda on the other hand, has been a literal nightmare.

lol, do it for 10-20 years and then try it. The more ingrained the habit is, the more difficult it is to quit.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join